PDA

View Full Version : Getting started

Tommy Hackathorn
Dec-07-2010, 6:41pm
Hey everybody! At age 41, I have decided that 2011 is my year of no regrets. I have always regretted never learning to play an instrument. I LOVE the mandolin and I think I have decided to make it my focus for the next chapter of my life.
How do I get started (i.e. find an instructor first, buy a mandoln first, etc)? Should I let my instructor guide me to a beginner model? I have never played any instrument at all and so I am literally starting from scratch.
I appreciate your time and input on my quest. Hope I can make some beautiful music very soon.
Thanks!
:mandosmiley:

Dan Johnson
Dec-07-2010, 6:45pm
Well, like your quote at the bottom there, start where you're at and get busy. Get a mandolin, find some folks who play, maybe get a teacher, go to some festivals, some concerts, hang out with other musicians, find out what players you like and listen to everything they've done, go on youtube and look up mandolin clips, and spend more hours on the Cafe than you do playing the mandolin! :)

It's wide open, but the first step is to get a mandolin. That's up to you and your pocketbook.

F-2 Dave
Dec-07-2010, 6:48pm
Welcome to the Cafe TG. What kind of music are you interested in?

George R. Lane
Dec-07-2010, 6:52pm
Make sure you buy a mando that comes with a setup. I suggest one of the Cafe members, Mandolin Store or Folk Musician. The ones off of Ebay usually don't come setup and that would be a major mistake when starting out. If you have a qualified mandolin instructor in your area, by all means talk with him or her and make sure they work with beginners. And the most important part of learning is too have FUN!

Malcolm G.
Dec-07-2010, 7:23pm
Welcome Tommy Girl!

You've just made the best first move - joining the Cafe!

Tell us what music you'd like to play. Are you right or left handed?

Keep an eye on the Cafe classifieds.

:)

allenhopkins
Dec-07-2010, 9:59pm
I LOVE the mandolin and I think I have decided to make it my focus for the next chapter of my life.

Should I let my instructor guide me to a beginner model? I have never played any instrument at all and so I am literally starting from scratch.

Careful, there; the mandolin's a harsh mistress... Well, not really, but try to leave a bit of time for employment, nutrition, sleep, adequate personal hygiene -- all the things the rest of us neglect when playing our mandolins.

Second: that's a good idea. Make sure you find a teacher who really teaches mandolin, not some rock guitar guy/gal who says, "Oh yeah, I can do that too." When you do, take him/her with you to a good local dealer (assuming you have one), and try out everything in the store you can afford. Concentrate on ease of playing, rather than looks or sound, because starting out, that's the most important.

It's generally good to build up a relationship with a local dealer, where you can subsequently get strings, picks, straps, cases, instructional materials, repairs, adjustments -- and finally trade up to a better instrument, when you're ready. If there isn't a good store in your area, with a selection of instruments and some knowledge and experience, there are excellent on-line dealers who are Cafe sponsors, and who will treat you right.

slimey
Dec-07-2010, 10:39pm
I would think a little about how you learn best. Some like to be guided, some like to listen, some like to learn the details , some like to watch. Having established your learning personality you can start to think about the best way to get started.
Guided, find a teacher. Listen you can buy books with cd's taking you through a lesson plan, details, you can buy books on theory and work your way through them, watching go on youtube and type in " mandolin lessons" find something you want to learn, or buy instructional DVD's.
You may find more that one direction appeals to you , I know most of us have tried many.
Never has there been so many ways to learn, so in some ways you've sarted at the right time. Have fun with it!

JeffD
Dec-07-2010, 10:41pm
Find out what kinds of jam sessions, dances, etc., are in your area. Attend a few and see what you like.

JonZ
Dec-07-2010, 10:51pm
I vote for taking lessons, if you can find a good teacher. He or she will get you off on the right track with your technique and choosing an instrument. Read a little bit in these forums about good right hand technique. If your teacher has it, and starts you working on it right away, he or she is probably a keeper. If you live off the beaten path, you might try skype lessons, or just find some demonstration videos on Google.

chipotle
Dec-08-2010, 12:29am
Hi TG, I was a little older than you when I made the same decision. I had/have little experience with playing an instrument but what a great trip it's been! I have met a lot of great people and learned a lot, not just musically. I did find a good instructor to guide my newbie hands, I figured that would be better than unlearning naive mistakes. I got a couple of instructional cd's and spend a lot of time just sitting and practicing scales and learning songs. I am still learning, the journey continues.

Tommy Hackathorn
Dec-08-2010, 6:48pm
Hey Halfway, Mo! I'm in your neck of the woods. I am right handed. Love bluegrass music, but I also enjoy some country, Christian, and pop.

Cue Zephyr
Dec-08-2010, 8:15pm
Although I'm a few chapers back, the same 'rules' wil apply.

I first started by asking on an acoustic guitar forum (AGF). You know, most people play the guitar and some like other instruments too. Many of them also seem to have beginner-range instruments because they did not intend to get serious with it. Quickly found out that most people recommended Kentucky and so I stuck with it. Only a couple months later I was feeling serious and was looking for an instrument for days. Asking loads of questions, registering at this forum, finding out what my budget was, visiting a store and making the final decision.
The best instrment my budget could give me access to was a Kentucky KM-505. Read many good things about it. I ended up trying a newer-model KM-550 which was said to be equally good of an instrment. It wasn't much of a stretch so I went and bought it.

As for playing I'm not much help as I come from the guitar and I do much either by ear or just by experimentation.

I wish you good luck and have fun!

Stamper
Dec-10-2010, 5:18am
When I started out w/ the mando, I brought home (total whim) a Breedlove 00 quartz/now American. All true-blue instrument w/ faintly funky lines and spacious neck built by Kim Breedlove (a very innovative luthier). Two weeks later or so I was hooked & went went ultra serious and traded up for a Collings. Flash forward a year: I'm traveling hard, and wanted an instrument to travel with, and so I went and bought another Breedlove 00. The same instrument. The workmanship is to die for; the design nifty & sweet; great case to boot and all for under a grand. I love the pitch & tone of it; I love the innovative design; and I think for the money it is really hard to beat. Everywhere I go, folks want to play it, too. I love my Collings, don't get me wrong, but not to travel hard with: I know there are decent pac-rim options out there, and i know money sometimes talks (loudly), but for a serious student I always say go for a serious instrument you'll want to play up to & for. I just did this same approach w my eldest and his first serious guitar; and now my daughter, the flute player. My two cents, etc. My guess? You're going to have a gas:

Stamper

F-2 Dave
Dec-10-2010, 8:50am
Hey Halfway, Mo! I'm in your neck of the woods. I am right handed. Love bluegrass music, but I also enjoy some country, Christian, and pop.

If we're in the same neck of the woods, then you're an easy drive from Lebanon. Morgan Music generally carrys a nice selection of mandolins. Nice folks too.

Capt. E
Dec-10-2010, 9:57am
I was 58 when I began to learn the mandolin and have loved every minute. I just wish I had started at age 41.
Make sure your mandolin is well set up. It will make all the difference in learning to play. And lessons will help keep you from bad habits. Also, you can't buy "too much" mandolin. Don't sneak up on it, get a good quality instrument at the start. I recommend a Kentucky KM505 or (if it fits your budget) a Kentucky KM900.

twhitemando
Dec-11-2010, 3:48am
I'm here with you Tommy Girl! I'm 43 and decided to try to learn the mandolin. I'm giving my husband a tenor banjo (tuned GDAE) for Christmas and thought it would be nice if we had a hobby we could do together. I just got a cheap mandolin just to see if I would even stick with it and if I could actually learn to play since I've not played an instrument since I was 12 (and sucked back then).

I am originally from MO, and my parents still live in Lebanon. Going back there for Christmas and will stop in at Morgan Music to see what they have.

Cabbagehead
Dec-11-2010, 4:54am
I highly recommend Niles Hokkanen's Pocket guide to Mandolin Chords. It is only four dollars. It will get you started and be a great reference tool for as long as you play the instrument. I truly think they should come standard with every mandolin.

8ch(pl)
Dec-11-2010, 5:36am
Great mandolins are made by Mike Dulak, right there in Missouri. Big Muddy Mandolin Company. They used to be Mid Missouri Mandolins. If you can find one second hand, they usually go for about $350. New they are a good bargain as well. Lots of posts about them here on mandolin Cafe.

twhitemando
Dec-22-2010, 11:13pm
I'm here with you Tommy Girl! I'm 43 and decided to try to learn the mandolin. I'm giving my husband a tenor banjo (tuned GDAE) for Christmas and thought it would be nice if we had a hobby we could do together. I just got a cheap mandolin just to see if I would even stick with it and if I could actually learn to play since I've not played an instrument since I was 12 (and sucked back then).

I am originally from MO, and my parents still live in Lebanon. Going back there for Christmas and will stop in at Morgan Music to see what they have.

I got an early Christmas present - realized I am only 42! Man old age sucks!! I went to the new Morgan Music store in Lebanon, MO (across from Mazzio's Pizza on Hwy 5). I have never seen so many mandolins in one store! They had a very nice selection from the inexpensive to those I'd want to put on my wish list. Very nice people as F-2 Dave said. One of the guys verbally quoted us the wrong price on a music stand so we decided to get 2 and when we went to check out, they rang up higher. The gentleman said "I told you the wrong price, but I'm going to give them to you for what I quoted them". It wasn't a big difference, but very stand-up of him I thought.