PDA

View Full Version : Catalogs etc. - Sale at Bernunzio's

allenhopkins
Dec-07-2010, 4:59pm
John Bernunzio is having a sale through Dec. 31; included are a large number of early 20th-century instrument catalogs, from Gibson, Martin, Lyon & Healy, Ditson, Tonk Bros., Epiphone, Stahl, etc. etc.

No financial interest on my part,* but I know many frequenters of the "Vintage" forum collect old catalogs for reference.

Here's (http://bernunzio.com/newsearch.php?term=%22Price+Reduced%22&searchCat=Paper,%20Media&searchType=Catalogs) a link to the relevant page on his website.

* Just tell John I'm his new BFF, OK? Then next time I'm out shopping...

goaty76
Dec-07-2010, 10:19pm
It is not stated anywhere but I assume that these are reprints.

Phil

JeffD
Dec-07-2010, 10:40pm
Are they?

allenhopkins
Dec-07-2010, 11:02pm
Are they?

Ya know, I don't really know! They look awfully "mint" to be originals. He has a "Reprint" link on his catalog page, (http://bernunzio.com/inventory/Paper,%20Media/Catalogs) but it doesn't seem to modify the inventory. May have to contact him to get the "skinny."

f5loar
Dec-07-2010, 11:13pm
Are you kidding? At those prices they have to be reprints. Originals bring 10 times or more than those prices. Some reprints are exact duplicates, many are not.

DerTiefster
Dec-07-2010, 11:47pm
Phil is correct about the catalogs being reprints. I bought two for my own purposes, and reprints were certainly fine for my needs. The web site does not say "reprints" on any button you push, but after you get to the page, there is a button on the left side of the page saying "reprints" and if you push it you end up back on the same page. I mentioned that issue of "I only pressed buttons saying 'catalogs' and I ended up here." Some of the descriptions mention being reprints, but many do not. The Gibson "AA" catalog I wanted came in two versions. The cheaper one said "reprint" and the more expensive one did not, and in fact mentioned that the item for sale was a pristine '30s catalog. When I called and asked about the difference, I was told that both were reprints, one on slightly larger pages with crisper, more photographic reproduction. That's the one I wanted, anyway. I got it and a '20s Vega catalog. Both are fine for me, but are reprints. It's hard to get even a reprint for the cost of the sale prices, though. It's a good time to stock up on information if you want it.

Jim Garber
Dec-08-2010, 8:26am
Yes, they are all reprints. The other odd thing I noted about the site was that once you placed and order for an item and went back to shopping for more, you can't get back to the shopping cart. I wrote to them to ask if there is a button somewhere I am missing.

Nice to fill in on some of those catalog sections. BTW I think many are from Dave Portman, a collector up in that area and are just the fretted instrument sections from larger catalogs. At least the ones I am interested in are.