PDA

View Full Version : The Case for Mandolin-Shaped Cases?

JonZ
Dec-06-2010, 10:11am
Rectangular cases seem so much more practical. They have room for strings, tuners, snacks. My guess is that they also have greater structural integrity. Mandolin-shaped cases really don't save you that much space, especially when you consider that they aren't stackable.

Is there a practical reason for mandolin-shaped cases? :confused:

Tim2723
Dec-06-2010, 10:27am
They tend to be lighter, but other than that I don't know. It's not like a cased mandolin weighs 100 pounds to begin with.

RobP
Dec-06-2010, 10:41am
I do think the shaped cases are smaller. The rectangular case they were going to give me with my Weber was huge! It would be nice to have the extra space inside, but I think the shaped cases probably fit better in those overhead airline bins. Plus they look cooler -- everyone knows you are carrying an instrument!

Cheers

Rob

Bertram Henze
Dec-06-2010, 10:46am
When I walked into my first BG jam with my mandolin-shaped OM case, they asked me "four strings or five strings?"

You just miss so many funny experiences with a rectangular case. :cool:

JeffD
Dec-06-2010, 10:48am
Space in the case is not an issue for me. A while ago I stopped carrying anything but the mandolin in the mandolin case. I have a small gig bag with strings, picks, tuner, capo, and all the other stuff I might need. In my mandolin cases there is one each mandolin.

As to strength and protection, I don't think the rectangular cases are any better protection than a shaped case. They are all pretty great for most circumstances.

Stackability, however, is an issue. Its comical to see my stack-o-mandolins.

TonyP
Dec-06-2010, 10:51am
Think about it, rectangular cases are inherently weaker. More flat span, no arch to strengthen it. And to make it as strong as a form fitting case, you really have to beef it up. And that's in exactly the place where I experience needing the strength as stuff is always getting stacked or shoved in next to my mando on a way to a gig.

So if you make it as strong(in the top and back) as a more form fitting case, it's going to be a lot heavier. I have one of the cases shaped like a Calton, and I find that to be the most efficient balance of weight to strength. The real close form fitting cases might be stronger, but, are more complicated to build(therefor not as efficient use of labor/materials IMHO), and I can put all the stuff I want, picks, cleaning cloth, string swipes, and tuner, in the one I have. Can't even fathom snackes in with my mando, sorry. And if I need it, a extra bag for music, water, etc. is no big deal. I went to mando from guitar because I didn't want to lug this big bulky thing around. A rectangular case just seems a waste of space, externally and internally. But that's just me.

John Ritchhart
Dec-06-2010, 10:58am
1. Easier on the airplane.
2. Lighter to carry around jam camp
3. Girls come up and ask you what it is
4. Other musicians know what you have and come up to speak about it
5. If something happens to it you're not out that much. (the cat crapped in mine once)

journeybear
Dec-06-2010, 11:25am
My first mandolin was an old pumpkin Model A with OHSC. The case was convenient and small (and had purple felt inside, very cool :cool: ), and since at the time my main mode of transportation was hitchhiking, it didn't take up much more room than I did - typically body end on the floor, neck sticking up between my knees. I didn't like one thing about it, though - it looked like an instrument case. I worried a lot that it would attract undue attention from nefarious types and get stolen. So when I got my F-12 I got a rectangular case, and have never looked back. I soon learned how convenient it was, and multitaskable too. When placed on its long edge, it served as a chair; on its short edge, as a stool; lying flat, a table - so much furniture in one small package! :) And I took to carrying a piece of chalk, so I could write my destination on it when hitchhiking. Eventually it began to show signs of wear, especially around the corners, so I shelled out a hundred bucks and got a good solid one. But dontcha know - when my F-12 got stolen out of my van, it was in that rectangular case. So much for my incognito theory. :disbelief: Then again, the thieves weren't musicians nor after the instrument; they took my wallet, CD player, and cell phone, and grabbed that because it was there, too. :(

I do have a form-fitting OHSC for my mandola which I have not replaced - just keeping the historical integrity together there. And I am currently using soft gig bags for both my A model and electric MandoBird, for a simple, practical reason - the small size enable me to transport them, and all my gear, on my bike. ;) I am not crazy about this, and am real careful to guard against danger, but I believe in expedience, and this is the best solution at this time.

BTW, jbrwky - Re: #3 - I used to get all kinds of guesses about what was in that rectangular case. Saxophone, keyboard, dulcimer - hardly ever mandolin! I used to tell people it was a rocket launcher, just to see their bewilderment.

catmandu2
Dec-06-2010, 11:41am
Rectangular cases seem so much more practical.

I agree. For me, nothing beats a fiddle/mando double case.

John Ritchhart
Dec-06-2010, 11:45am
BTW, jbrwky - Re: #3 - I used to get all kinds of guesses about what was in that rectangular case. Saxophone, keyboard, dulcimer - hardly ever mandolin! I used to tell people it was a rocket launcher, just to see their bewilderment.
"used to get" being the operative words for me. I have to tie a puppy around my neck to get them to talk to me now.
:crying:

foldedpath
Dec-06-2010, 12:13pm
When I walked into my first BG jam with my mandolin-shaped OM case, they asked me "four strings or five strings?"

You just miss so many funny experiences with a rectangular case. :cool:

Yeah, I get that with my Weber OM case too. It's even funnier when what comes out of the case looks like an F-style mandolin in steroids
:)

Back down to the mandolin size though.... I think the best rationale for a small, form-fitted case is the ability to sneak it into smaller areas when packing a car, or being able to take it on a plane. Many of the larger rectangular cases, or even the triangular Calton-type, won't fit an overhead compartment.

I prefer my Travelite foam case when I'm only packing light in the car for a local jam or session. I switch to a smaller, fitted fiberglass case when I know it will be packed in tight with PA gear, or a bunch of big, heavy hard-shell guitar cases. It's just easier to pack. I'm not sure what brand it is; something inexpensive that came with the mandolin when I bought it.

If I had the bucks, I'd get one of the high-end curvy cases like a Pegasus just for the looks and (maybe) the extra protection. In the meantime, this inexpensive fiberglass case will do.

JonZ
Dec-06-2010, 12:34pm
The "more strength" theory brings up some interesting questions. For example, if you lay a flat object on top of a flat case, the weight will be evenly distributed over the entire surface (think bed of nails). Also, additional material around the neck gives you a greater "crumple zone" (think Volvos). So I think each design provides different types of protection.

Regarding overhead storage, won't both cases will be roughly as long and as wide as a mandolin, with one uniformly so? I see little benefit in actually getting it to fit in the overhead.

Now the coolness factor--that's a matter of taste. I grew up playing Fender guitars, so a rectangular case looks pretty cool to me. You can always slap a Mandolin Café sticker on it, as a "babe magnet". :cool:

However, we will never be as cool as violin players, who could be carrying a violin OR a Thompson Sub Machine Gun.

foldedpath
Dec-06-2010, 12:50pm
Regarding overhead storage, won't both cases will be roughly as long and as wide as a mandolin, with one uniformly so? I see little benefit in actually getting it to fit in the overhead.

Well, a tight-fitted case will always be easier to cram in among handbags and other stuff, compared to a rectangular one. It's just less volume to begin with. There may also be something of a psychological/negotiating advantage, when you're competing for storage space on a plane, bus, whatever. It's obviously a musical instrument instead of something else, so people might... if you're lucky... be a little more careful jamming other stuff into it.

I just thought of another advantage for the fitted case, although it's a special situation. Sometimes I use an instrument case as a foot rest, since I usually play sitting down. It's more for playing guitar than mandolin, but I'm often swapping between the two. Small fitted cases area little easier to fit under and around chairs, as ad-hoc foot rests.

JeffD
Dec-06-2010, 1:28pm
I agree. For me, nothing beats a fiddle/mando double case.

I am looking at these, as my new fiddle is being finished. I think I have zeroed in on the Bobelock. But 12 lbs! My garsht. The other brands are similarly about 12 lbs.

This type of case is ideal for carbon fiber, but it will be a while before that becomes availabe and affordable.

catmandu2
Dec-06-2010, 1:31pm
If one is inclined toward fiddle as much as mando (or vice-versa), nothing else will do, IMO.

Mine weighs less than my Weber mandola case. It's a cheapy from ebay (~$65?) with not much internal protection: it has minimal padding and instead substitutes a couple of velcro straps, which I find quite adequate--since I carry it and don't leave it around. And with all that extra room, I can carry everything: shoulder pad, rosin, strings, picks, snacks, toothbrush, car keys...and tuner, if I used one.

If flying on flights from hell, or elsewhere, these are the best--packing more wallop per buck...

Another significant difference between rect. and shaped cases--perhaps not important to many, though: the ability to carry sheet music or other paper. My double case has that nice waterproof zippered outer that can carry several inches of stacked paper, book, light sweater, bicycle pump, or even a small umbrella (parasol?...bumbershoot?). This is why I generally prefer a rect case, anyway--it usually doubles as a briefcase for charts.

mandroid
Dec-06-2010, 3:41pm
Arch top rectangular wooden cases don't stack either, because of the arch,
unless the next one in the stack has tall feet.

D rings rarely come on wooden cases, for that reason, I prefer Fiberglas cases.
Which I can Carry by something other than the handle.

make a rack to stand your cases on end, for storage.

catmandu2
Dec-06-2010, 3:55pm
Arch top rectangular cases don't stack either, because of the arch, unless the next one in the stack has tall feet.

D rings rarely come on wooden cases, for that reason, I prefer Fiberglas cases.
Which I can Carry by something other than the handle.

make a rack to stand your cases on end, for storage.

My rect. double case has D-rings as well as grommets for attachng backpack-style shoulder straps. So it has four carry methods: horizontal handle, vertical handle, single shoulder strap, and backpack-style. I usually just use the shoulder strap, but if I'm riding bicycle I'll carry it backpack style--which is the most stable.

One other really nice thing about rect. cases: they stand on their end--this is really great when standing in a line and you don't want to hold it the whole time. It simply stands at your side like a tall suitcase, with the end handle at the height of your relaxed arm--you don't even need to bend down to pick it up. The web handle at one end is a really nice feature in crowded environments--planes, trains, buses. If you want it to appear as inconspicuous as possible (boarding a plane, etc.), this is really great. Whenever I'm boarding or existing a plane, I carry it vertically--carrying it horizontally essentially takes up three spaces in a line, when vertical takes just one.

mandroid
Dec-06-2010, 4:28pm
Thats nice, I still like My Pegasus case, ... its use of a D ring on the hinge side

+ hooking the strap onto one of the strap rings makes it carry well on shoulder or back.

A smart Scottish Design.

Mike Bunting
Dec-06-2010, 5:13pm
Thats nice, I still like My Pegasus case, ... its use of a D ring on the hinge side
+ hooking the strap onto one of the strap rings makes it carry well on shoulder or back.
A smart Scottish Design.

Amen to that, especially to how well it carries on the shoulder.

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-08-2010, 1:56am
From RobP - " The rectangular case they were going to give me with my Weber was huge! " And heavy Rob. I weighed mine at 13.5 lbs inc.Mandolin,far too much to haul around. I soon ditched it for an Eastman Violin style case at half the weight. My FQMS/TKL "American Vintage" case weighed in at 11.5 lbs,i replaced that with the lightest case out there,a Travelite.
Re. 'Mandolin shaped' cases,all the ones i've seen have little or no space for our 'strings 'n things'. I had a look at an Eastman fiberglass case prior to buying my Travelite. Other than being a beautifully made case,it had nothing going for it (IMHO).There was room enough for a bootlace Mandolin strap and nothing else - beautifully impractical !,
Ivan

catmandu2
Dec-08-2010, 11:16am
beautifully impractical !

Ha...there are some things that I'm more interested in function over form. Cases particularly! :)

AlanN
Dec-08-2010, 11:28am
A nice, tight rectangle case is what I like. The 50's brown Gibson case comes to mind. Superior used to make one, dimensions were smaller. John Pagononi makes a nice small rectangle.

mandroid
Dec-08-2010, 3:00pm
If its heavy, why not add a pull up handle and some wheels, like a luggage trolley.
maybe a load bar, use it to haul your amps too, like a Fridge dolly.

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-09-2010, 2:41am
Mandroid - At one time i seriously considered buying a golf trolley to haul my Banjo in it's Mark Leaf case around. It weighed in at 31.25 lbs. It was ok prior to chronic & severe back pain setting in,but after that,it had to go. I often wonder if the case didn't contribute in some way to my back problem,as i was hauling it around Bluegrass Festivals for over 17 years,
Ivan:(~:>

journeybear
Dec-09-2010, 10:17am
... I often wonder if the case didn't contribute in some way to my back problem,as i was hauling it around Bluegrass Festivals for over 17 years ...

Spoken like a true banjo picker ... "Golly! Somethin's hurtin' me, wonder what it is? Couldn't be me banjo, now, 'cause that makes me feel good!" :)) Oh, Ivan, Ivan, Ivan! If only you had discovered the mandolin all those years ago! :crying:

:grin:

Steve Sorensen
Dec-09-2010, 10:28am
Bill Monroe cruisin' in or out of a show with the beaten brown leather Gibson rectangular case will always be the pinnacle of traveling mandolin coolness in my mind.
Steve

JonZ
Dec-09-2010, 11:11am
Having gone through periods of playing a Les Paul guitar and an Earl Scruggs banjo, I am always amused when mandolin players talk about the weight of their instrument or case.

catmandu2
Dec-09-2010, 11:50am
Bill Monroe .... rectangular case

Well...nuff said ;)

Mike Bunting
Dec-09-2010, 2:04pm
Having gone through periods of playing a Les Paul guitar and an Earl Scruggs banjo, I am always amused when mandolin players talk about the weight of their instrument or case.

I have to say that I agree! I have a Calton for my guitar, now that's heavy! Calton for the mando, piece of cake, even a slightly heavier Pegasus is easy.

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-10-2010, 3:24am
JB - I 'discovered' the Mandolin 46 years back,but unfortunately not as a player,purely as a devotee of the sound. I wish that i'd decided to play Mandolin many years ago,but i always equated it with Violin, & as Violin is a 'classical' instrument & that 'classical' music is 'very difficult',my warped logic steered me away from the Mandolin. It was only my perceived need to keep the ol' grey matter in business,that made me take up Mandolin 5 years ago, as a new challenge. I discovered too late that i do have a 'talent to play',& maybe play very well,but at 65 years of age ,time's on the short side,but not too short i hope,
Ivan

mandobassman
Dec-10-2010, 9:02pm
I find it interesting that weight has been mentioned several times as a factor in rectangular or shaped case decisions. There may not be much difference in weight between the two cases, but weight was definitely a factor in my decision to go with a shaped case. Not because of the difference in cases but I found that with the rectangular case I had lot of room to carry all kinds of junk I really didn't need to carry therefore making a 5 lb. case and mando combination close to 15 lbs. I now have a Golden Gate laminated wood case with an arched top and find it very strong and protective. I carry one set of extra strings, a nail clipper and some business cards. I have one pick on the mandolin neck and a few extras in my wallet. I have not found the need to have anything bigger and it is so light to carry. It may not have the protection of a Calton but at the $45 I paid for it used it serves my needs well. I had a Travelite once but my current mandolin would not fit in it so I sold it for the Golden Gate. Plus I was nervous about finding my 4-year-old standing on it. The arch in the Golden Gate is much stronger.

Mike Snyder
Dec-10-2010, 9:35pm
For me, the shaped case is the only way to go. Larger cases would not fit into my tennis racket bag, and I like it better than the case. I carry strings, peg winder, side cutters, string lube,Taktel metronome, song lyrics and lists, nail clippers and files and a copy of the Portland Collection. All in a zippered, shoulder strapped, attractive piece of urban camoflage.

JeffD
Dec-13-2010, 11:51am
Larger cases would not fit into my tennis racket bag, and I like it better than the case..

Nobody could look at me and think I have every played tennis, or any other aerobic activity.

acousticphd
Dec-13-2010, 6:23pm
Unless I were ever to want a double instrument case, I support the case for shaped cases, for most of the reasons already mentioned.
A more universal use of D-rings on shaped hardshell cases gets my vote.

If packing 20 cases into a crate, I can see an advantage in the rectangular case. But at home, I just stack my A-shaped cases two deep in a corner, bottom layer head-in, top layer head-out.

catmandu2
Dec-15-2010, 7:17pm
I just stack my A-shaped cases two deep in a corner, bottom layer head-in, top layer head-out.

Good grief that's complicated! ;)

If packing 20 cases into a crate...

I don't know about the crate, but if all of my instrument cases were rectangular, my life would be easier...they would stack into a nice pile, and they wouldn't keep falling down, rolling off the walls, etc. Unfortunately, I haven't any rect cases for my banjos though--banjos are just so...round. I never could get my Greek-style bouzouki case to lean against a wall without falling... :(

tburcham
Dec-15-2010, 8:05pm
I have had numerous cases as I have traded instruments over the past few years. First of all, I'm a rectangular case guy...period. I haven't found any shaped case that holds the stuff I like to take with me (pliers, cutters, extra strings, tuners, string cleaner, Fret-Ease, etc.). The best case I own is one that doesn't get much press here on the Cafe...the Ameritage Rectagular mandolin case. These are fairly expensive, but they offer: 1) access to a large rectangular storage bin with the mandolin in place,2) they literally float the mandolin in a cushioned environment, such that the mandolin never touches a hard surface, 3) they are very sturdy, while I haven't driven my Landcruiser over the top of mine to test it, it appears it would handle this kind of load with minimal damage to the contents, 4) they have built humidity control and hygrometer, and 5) they are handsome to look at with their tan denier nylon and leatherette trim. Negatives are: no shoulder strap D-rings and fairly heavy.

I've owned about every case discussed here on the Cafe, with the exception of a Calton, the Ameritage Rectangular is by far the best I've experienced. 2nd place goes to my arrow shaped fiberglass Bobelock, but only because the dog cover has a huge zippered compartment (storage inside is virtually nonexistent).

albeham
Dec-27-2010, 11:48am
"used to get" being the operative words for me. I have to tie a puppy around my neck to get them to talk to me now.
:crying:

I just use money its quicker...Cheaper then a dinner...

BTW my cats hate me so bad....They only cough up hair balls on mine....

mandowilli
Dec-27-2010, 5:31pm
Tim, do you have the Gold or the Silver Ameritage case?

raulb
Dec-28-2010, 12:17pm
Ameritage cases are great! I got one with my R Taylor guitar. Expensive though. I have thought of one for my Martin mando, but I am afraid that the case will be worth more than the mandolin it is protecting!

tburcham
Dec-28-2010, 3:28pm
Tim, do you have the Gold or the Silver Ameritage case?

Gold

kyblue
Dec-28-2010, 3:45pm
Calton for the mando, piece of cake, even a slightly heavier Pegasus is easy.

That remark caught my eye.

I've had both, and I remember the Calton being heavier. I would even have said more than slightly, I don't think that was perception because to me it was clumsier. That's been a few years ago though. Have things changed?

Paula

mandroid
Dec-29-2010, 2:46pm
Calton, as it offers a deluxe shell , ie add another layer of glass cloth and naturally, some more resin,
would have a bit more heft than their 'standard' model

some one with one of each, and a scale, may have some data input on that.