PDA

View Full Version : ...and the rest of the story!

Onesound
Dec-05-2010, 9:46pm
Perhaps some of you remember this thread: http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?63983-My-New-Gibson-Oval-A-Jam-Standard&highlight=Gibson+Master

It's a story about how I came into possession of a new Gibson Jam Master Oval A that had exceptional tone (don't they all!). Well, there is more to that story....

About three weeks into ownership, and one really hot summer day, it developed a (let's say) problem. When I pulled it out of it's case the center soundboard seam had opened up. By the next day it had settled back down and closed up leaving a bit of a scar, but otherwise seemed stable.

Heartbroken, I shipped it off to the factory for evaluation. Their findings were that it was only a finish check and nothing to worry about. However, an independent luthier (who has lots of repair and build experience) disagreed, determining that the center seam had truly partially come unglued. A cleat on the underside of the soundboard stabilized it (just in case), making the finish damage almost invisible.

At this point in time, however, I had lost my confidence in the instrument. To my good fortune, and the benefit of dealing with a top notch dealer, I was able to work a trade up to another instrument.

Now, several months later, I am in the proud possession of a Weber Bitterroot Custom Vintage Oval A, compliments of the fine people at The Mandolin Store.

I can not speak highly enough of both mandolin and dealer. This Weber is immaculately built, it's fit and finish are wonderful. When it first arrived, it was a bit tight, but is starting to open up nicely as I spend more picking time with it.

To the Jam Master's benefit, it has the superior tone, and probably my unpleasant experience with is was an unusual occurrence. I do miss it's wonderful voice, but, I can tell this Weber is built to withstand normal wear and tear. I expect to get many long years of pleasure from it.

F-2 Dave
Dec-05-2010, 10:17pm
Great looking oval Brian. No offence intended to Jam master owners, but that's a lot prettier mandolin, IMHO.

George R. Lane
Dec-05-2010, 10:27pm
I too own a Vintage A that has the most wonderful tone. When I got my new custom Yellowstone I had thoughts about selling my A, I even went so far as to put it on consignment. What a fool I was. I love my Yellowstone and it will always be my primary mandolin, but I just couldn't sell the A, it is nice to have a two different sounds top work with. Onesound I know you will have many years of enjoyment and welcome to the Weber family.

Onesound
Dec-08-2010, 8:40pm
Beauty is only skin deep, as "they" say, but I do find playing an instrument that is visually as well as audibly attractive a more satisfying experience. On most occasions, however, inspiring tone and dynamics is all that counts. I've occasionally though that violinists have got it right. Nearly all violins look identical, so there is little obsessing over appearances. It's their unique voices that set them apart.

jasona
Dec-08-2010, 9:41pm
Those Vintage As are seriously nice mandolins

Ivan Kelsall
Dec-09-2010, 2:53am
Sorry to hear about your Gibson experience,especially as it seems to have had the tonal qualities that you liked so well. I'm also pleased that your Weber Mandolin is giving you great pleasure. Weber instruments are usually of exceptional build quality & finish & they sound pretty good as well. Weber are a great company to deal with if you have any problems also,& compliments to The Mandolin Store on their treatment of you,
Ivan

Ron McMillan
Dec-09-2010, 5:16am
The beauty of an instrument is important, of that there is no doubt. Your new Weber has 'the look', the perfect appearance for my taste. I'm working on a tight budget, but my next mandolin will be an A, and quite possibly a round-hole A (simply because I love that style), and if it could look anything like yours and sound good as well, I'd be ecstatic.

rm

Onesound
Dec-09-2010, 10:59pm
I was pleased that Weber was offered as a replacement for the Jam Master as I expect their customer service to be much more customer oriented that what I experienced with that "other" manufacturer. (Not terrible, but not spectacular either - not interested in bashing, so 'nuff said!)

Yes, the JM had THE oval hole tone. Regarding the Weber, it's the first satin finish that I've liked. Their Yellowstone has a gloss finish, BTW. The Bitterroot was a custom model special for The Mandolin Store, and I don't think they plan on getting more. They will be carrying a Vintage Custom Yellowstone.