PDA

View Full Version : Washburn M6SWK - Too much for a beginner?

marklh
Dec-03-2010, 6:38am
Hello all - I am new to the Mandolin Cafe, though I have been reading online for a while before becoming a member. I am a harmonica player who has dabbled with banjo and mandolin in the past, and have decided to purchase my first mandolin.

I live in rural Nebraska, and my local music shop has a new Washburn M6SWK (Jethro Burns model) that they have reduced to $455 (with a case). My question is this: Is this too good a deal to pass up, or should I purchase a cheap (<$200) mandolin to learn on and grow with? I have been reading the forums, and there seems to be a WIDE variety of opinions on the Washburns. I can afford the Washburn, but I just don't know enough about ease of playability and such to make the decision on whether this would be a good beginning mandolin to start with and then be able to grow with. Any thoughts/suggestions/advice would be much appreciated! If you would advise against the Washburn, do you have a suggestion on an entry level mandolin to start with?

Thanks,
Mark

tbyron
Dec-03-2010, 7:45am
I own a Washburn Jethro Burns mandolin and while it is a nice little mandolin, I think you can do a lot better for the money. I have played a Kentucky in about the same price range that sounded a lot better.

Randi Gormley
Dec-03-2010, 9:13am
This isn't a Washburn-specific answer, since I've never played one. But I'd think the better the mandolin (and that doesn't mean price, specifically), the easier it is to play. You shouldn't start out with a comfortable instrument and graduate to something that slices up your fingers or harms your hands, in other words. So if the Washburn isn't comfortable to play right now, don't buy it, imho. Think of it as a pair of shoes. An uncomfortable pair of shoes today doesn't necessarily get easier to wear later, no matter how much you've paid for it.

Fiddler3
Dec-03-2010, 9:35am
Since we can only assume since you are in rural Nebraska that you don't have a lot of access to other brands, such as the Kentucky, or such. Based on that, yes the Washburn is a nice beginner mandolin. It will be easier and sound better than MOST of the cheaper mandolins.

marklh
Dec-03-2010, 10:55am
Thanks for the thoughts so far - I am about four hours from any real big city, so the access to trial mandos IS definitely a hindrance. I am fine waiting until a trip to Denver, but I just was wondering if the $300 off was worth going for. They are getting an Ibanez in next week ($185), but those are my only local options. Keep the thoughts coming, they are GREATLY appreciated!

Jill McAuley
Dec-03-2010, 11:06am
If you can find a music store in Denver that stocks Kentucky, Eastman or The Loar brands I would advise trying out some of those instruments. They're pretty much the standard for good starter instruments that you'll get plenty of mileage out of. Better to spend a wee bit more and get a playable instrument in my opinion. Another option is The Rover RM-75, again a decent instrument for starting out on.

Cheers,
Jill

msimmons
Dec-03-2010, 11:19am
Mike Dulak owner of The Big Muddy Mandolin Co. (573-698-3000) makes a wonderful beginner / profesional mandolin at a reasonable cost. I think I would contact him by phone or web site and check out his product. You could not go wrong.

allenhopkins
Dec-03-2010, 12:25pm
I'd jump on the Washburn. The M6SWK Jethro Burns has a solid carved top, solid back & sides, gold hardware, and a $1.4-1.5K list price. Even on-line dealers are charging $800 for it. To get it for $455 is about a third of list price. Don't know why your dealer is selling it so low... IMHO there's no such thing as "too much mandolin for a beginner." Get the best you can afford. Spending $200 on some "mandolin-shaped object" which may sound worse, play worse, look worse, and have negligible trade-in value -- where's the advantage in that?

You may well need to get it adjusted, "set up" for best playability, but you have an instrument there that is at least constructed better than most beginner-level mandolins. Does your local dealer do set-ups, and do you have confidence in the store regarding future adjustments, potential repairs, etc.?

Also, it's good to have a relationship with a local store that could be a source for strings, picks, adjustments, repairs, accessories, instructional materials, maybe lessons, etc. in the future. The usual trade-off is between a lower price from an on-line dealer, vs. a local relationship for which one may have to pay a bit more. In this case, your local store's selling the Washburn for just over half what an on-line dealer would charge. I can't see the downside in buying it.

Capt. E
Dec-03-2010, 1:31pm
There is a lot to be said about being able to handle and play an instrument before you buy it. It does seem like a good deal on the Washburn. A good set-up is very important. It can make all the difference in playability. Since you have some experience with mandolins, sit and play the Washburn for a while, talk to the music shop owner about his experience with mandolins and find out if you have a skilled luthier nearby (or even a musician that has excellent do-it-yourself skills).
I too agree that you can't buy too much mandolin even as a beginner.
The Washburn should be very much better than the Ibanez that is coming in.

jimbob
Dec-03-2010, 6:37pm
Sounds like a pretty good deal. I owned one for a while and it was just right as a starter....played good, stayed in tune, decent quality... and at somewhere around $ 400-450 you can always get your money back out of it. I'd go for it.

klaezimmer
Dec-04-2010, 12:23am
I paid 50% more than that for my Washburn M5S (I am guessing 1 step down from the one you propose) over 30 years ago. I still have it, although I am giving more time to my Breedlove Columbia these days. I plan to keep it as my f-hole voice in the herd (the Columbia is an oval). It was my starter mandolin - and honestly, was overkill for a starter on the chance that I did not take a liking to mandollins in general. But that hasn't happened, so the overkill merely postponed an upgrade for nearly three decades. Yes, the Kentucky/Eastman/Loar brigade is pretty strong here on the Cafe - and I am not going to take exception to those three brands as being worthy of the praise; however, there is no shame in playing a Washburn. And, in my thinking, the price offered you is exceptional.

Give my regards to rural Nebraska. My father was born there 90 years ago this month, and numerous visits to the state has given me a warm spot in my heart for its rural core.

marklh
Dec-05-2010, 9:36pm
Thanks much for all of your thoughts - I will let you know what I decide, but either way I am excited to get started on delving further into the mandolin!

Loretta Callahan
Dec-06-2010, 12:54am
I bought the Washburn M6SW Jethro Burns new .... mailorder, and it took three of them until I got one that didn't have a whacked neck. The vendor didn't bother to open the box from Washburn, didn't set it up (obviously) ... and it took two months to get a playable mandolin.

If I had it to do all over again, I'd get a domestically crafted mandolin that I played first. My first mandolin, a Greg Bennet, that cost $300 hardshell case included ... has given me more satisfaction in a lot of ways than the Washburn. I may change my opinion once the Washburn has opened up. The Washburn is a sexy, decent instrument and you'll probably be able to sell it and get something you really want it if doesn't do it for you.

If you can find a good luther in your hood, I'd recommend one to check the Washburn out immediately if you decide to purchase it. Two bad necks out of three isn't a good average.;)

mando_dan
Dec-06-2010, 10:08am
I echo Mt. Callahan's statement about Washburn's QA/QC not being great. I owned three- my first three mandolins- two of which had sinking tops within months of playing. Washburn was very good about replacing them but it was a hassle and shouldn't have happened. A good little domestic model may turn out to be a much more satisfying playing experience albeit with a much plainer looking instrument; the Jethro models do have a fantastic look to them. If the one you've tried sounds good and feels good, grab it; if you have doubts, there are lots of threads about good entry level instruments. Everyone thought has nothing but praise for Big Muddy.

tatwell
Dec-06-2010, 12:42pm
I can give you my take on it, FWIW. I have an M6SW-an '03 model-that I bought new in late 2003. This was my first mandolin, and while it was more than some others that I tried, I bought it because it felt easier to play. I bought mine from a local bluegrass shop that had several of that model in stock, and the mandolin instructor picked the one I bought as the best of the lot- not that I could tell any difference. I have never regretted the purchase, although in today's market I would rather pay the $799-current sale price online-for something else.However, for the price they are offering it to you I would definitely buy it. I have played mine a lot over the years, and I do think that I made a wise choice in buying it to learn on. I still play it and I haven't had any problems with it. I have done things to it such as fit a new bridge with a bone insert, and I recently refretted it. I actually like the finish on the new ones better than the glossy one on mine, plus the new ones have a cast tailpiece. As others mentioned, if you have a good mandolin luthier who can do a good setup for you, it would definitely be worth your while to do so. In case you do buy it, I can tell you that I have used several different strings, J74's, J75's, TI's, and now I have JS74's on it that may become my standard set for this mandolin. Out of curiosity, is the case that comes with the new ones still a hard case? Please post back and let us know if what you get. FWIW, I also agree that you can't get too much mandolin to learn on.

CES
Dec-06-2010, 2:56pm
Sounds like a good deal, and I think I'd jump on it if your first impression is good and you don't think it's "too good to be true," especially if the alternatives are limited to the Ibanez you mentioned (I've been impressed with some of their guitars of late, but have been underwhelmed with their new mandolins)...I've played a couple of the JB models in stores over the years. One was pretty darn good for the price, the others so-so. In the same range consider also the Kentucky 505, which are nice mandolins for that price (though A style and not as flashy as the JB). I also love my Flatiron Pancake (used for about 500), and consider Redline Traveller (used in your range) and the Big Muddy and Gypsy mandos as well.

If you want to go inexpensively, check out Tom Flood's mandolins in the classifieds here. They're not bluegrass instruments but look like they're well made for the 299-399 prices I've seen lately (NFI).

If you want to take the trip to Denver you should check out the Folklore Center, and there's another store (Pickin' Parlor, I think) in one of the 'burbs that's supposed to be outstanding....didn't get to make it to either when I was out there a coupla weekends ago :(.

mandomaggiano
Jul-17-2014, 9:56pm
The Washburn M6SWK at 400 to 450 price range sounds like B-stock to me. Sellers buy these from Washburn and are told they may have a cosmetic blemish or two. You roll the dice and take your chances. I bought one at that price and I had to return it to Washburn under warranty. Neck was all over the place. Couldn't be used. I heard there's actually a C-stock. OMG. Make sure theres a return policy just in case. If you want this model I recommend you pay the fiddler and by new online through Musicians Friend or Guitar Center. That way its new out of the box A-stock straight from the factory/distributor to you. There are plenty of how to set up your mandolin videos on you tube that explain procedures very simply. Ask your dealer if it's B-stock. Then watch his facial reaction for clues. I have both the M118SWK and the M6SWK. Both original purchases were unusable defected items and were returned to Washburn customer service and replaced with new instruments that play very well. It took 3 or 4 weeks to happen but replacements were very usable instruments. My best mandolins are my 2 American Breedloves. Totally non traditional design but top notch quality materials and craftsmenship. A new M6SWK costs 799.99. A new American Breddlove OO is 1299.99. I have no regrets spending that 500 more. It really shines brightly in my eye and ear. It was a great move after so many imports. Bluegrassers don't like the way they look I guess. I like the A and K models. F models are kinda funky looking but just as good. I think they blow Kentucky, Eastman, and the rest of the imported mandolins right out of the water! Nuff said!

bart mcneil
Jul-18-2014, 7:38am
I agree that a Big Muddy (formerly known as Mid Missouri) would be a great starter mando. It is plain by some standards but has tone of a much more expensive mando in my opinion. But I believe the price new is roughly $300 more than the Washburn. However you can get used but in good shape for roughly $300 - $400 often on this site's classified. Google "Big Muddy mandolins" for an overview of his products. I believe his is a one man shop.

I don't have anything against the Washburn because I've never played one, or seen one. Personally I would concentrate on quality rather than convenience in purchasing a first mando. Check out the Mandolin Brothers web site for a wide range of new (and some used) mandos. That will give you a broad view of available mandos and an idea of prices for well set up mandos. They have an international reputation for quality and honesty. Or if you don't want to purchase mail order their on-line catalog is mighty entertaining reading.

Good luck whatever you choose. You sound motivated and that is the important part. I suspect you will do well on any decent mandolin.

allenhopkins
Jul-18-2014, 8:15am
You guys do realize that this is a 2010 thread, right?

I'd guess markh made his decision vis-a-vis the Washburn some time ago.

Always makes sense to check the date in that li'l gray bar before offering "timely" advice.

LongBlackVeil
Jul-18-2014, 9:18am
Agreed that there is no such thing as too much mandolin for a beginner. I'm learning on a weber yellowstone f5 lol it inspires me to play though and has great playability and even more importantly, an extremely versatile sound that works well in all the styles that I'm exploring while trying to find my place in the mando world

Edit: oops, yea it's an old thread. But what I said can be applied to a lot of people who think they should start on a budget instrument.

bart mcneil
Jul-18-2014, 11:50am
"You guys do realize that this is a 2010 thread, right?

I'd guess markh made his decision vis-a-vis the Washburn some time ago."

That doesn't bother me at all. These comments, no matter what their date, are read by interested folk today and many, like me, never or rarely bother to read the date of the thread.

allenhopkins
Jul-19-2014, 9:21am
...These comments, no matter what their date, are read by interested folk today and many, like me, never or rarely bother to read the date of the thread.

Good point -- but when offering direct advice to the OP...

...Good luck whatever you choose. You sound motivated and that is the important part. I suspect you will do well on any decent mandolin.
…it does make sense to consider whether he's still reading the thread.

Don't think marklh has posted for three and a half years (may be wrong, but that's what my search yielded).