PDA

View Full Version : Caring for varnish finishes?

mandoman4807
Feb-14-2004, 5:49pm
I will be taking delivery of my first varnish finish mandolin shortly. I have used 3M Imperial Hand Glaze on my non varnish instruments with great results. Any suggestions on maintaining the varnish finish will be greatly appreciated.

---------------------------------------------------------------
Darrell

Chris Baird
Feb-14-2004, 7:36pm
There are a few commercially available products although I don't know the names. I believe Gibson has something they will sell you. Basically don't use laquer clean up products on varnish. I recommend lemon oil everyonce in a while and just constant cleaning with a soft dry towel.

BigJoe
Feb-15-2004, 1:08am
On the varnish finish you have to be very careful what you use. We sell a product made by Dave Harvey and that is all we use. It will help the finish and not harm it at all. You can contact me or the store and we will be happy to help.

mandowilli
Feb-15-2004, 4:53pm
Big Joe, I have a '13 that someone used silicon guitar polish on at one point. Will this product help? I have been using a slighly damp, soft cloth to try and slowly remove that grimey funk that it left.

willi

mandroid
Feb-15-2004, 5:36pm
As I found Moisture (sweaty player)to be the problem for my instrument(s)
Johnsons paste wax is used.
On the back, I rub it on and leave it, my use wears off the application, so then put more on when its shiny.
grip your clothing, so will not slide around as much, a plus somewhat. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/cool.gif

Big Joe
Feb-16-2004, 10:46am
Hey WIlli!
It should help remove the gunk. It is very important to NEVER use any polish using silicone on your instruments. It can destroy the finish. We will not allow anything but Gibson guitar polish or Dave's polish in our facilities to protect the instruments. Since we apply finishes in our facilities the silicone could ruin the finish of new products if we used it so we are extremely fussy what we allow in the building.

mandowilli
Feb-16-2004, 11:56am
Is it the AIGLC-960 polish on the Gibson site?

willi