PDA

View Full Version : Good mandolin mic for playing out ?

Coachz
Dec-01-2010, 3:23pm
Hi, I'm reading that a mandolin mic should not be so bright on the top, so can you guys recommend a good mic for playing bluegrass live that won't require much eq? Preferably something < $300 ?

Thanks so much. :mandosmiley:

foldedpath
Dec-01-2010, 4:19pm
If you're new to using a PA, and especially if you'll be running the PA yourself, I'd recommend the 'ol reliable Shure SM57 (http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/SM57/) dynamic mic, which streets for $100 USD or less. This is pretty much the industry-standard instrument mic for basic PA setups. In a pinch, you can use it as a hammer to drive nails... it's very tough.

A step up from there would be a small diaphragm condenser mic. It's true that you probably don't want a mic that's exaggerated in the highs, but a good small diaphragm condenser with fairly flat frequency response will capture the "air" frequencies (high harmonics) that help an acoustic instrument sound acoustic through a PA system. A good choice for a limited budget would be something like the Oktava MC-012 (http://oktava.com/inc/sdetail/3030), which just fits under your $300 budget and is a very nice small condenser for the money. These are also good mics for recording.

A condenser mic does require phantom power from the mixer, and it's worth using condensers only if the rest of the system (mixer quality, main house speaker quality) is good enough to take advantage of a quality mic like that. If you're in doubt about any of this, the Shure SM57 is the one to get! It's always a good mic to have even as a backup, later on. I use small condensers and clip-on mics, but I have several SM57's in the mic case as backups. They're always useful, sooner or later.

Coachz
Dec-01-2010, 4:44pm
Great info, thanks very much

Trey Young
Dec-01-2010, 4:52pm
I don't have alot of experience with mics, but I've been using the Audio Technica Pro 37 and really like it alot.

Mike Bunting
Dec-01-2010, 4:56pm
I don't have alot of experience with mics, but I've been using the Audio Technica Pro 37 and really like it alot.
I used that one time and had very good results. The SM57 is a workhorse too, it would serve you well.. If you have a good soundman you can try the more sophisticated mics.

Dick Wade
Dec-01-2010, 4:58pm
I like the AKG C 1000. It works great with guitar and mandolin, and uses a 9 volt battery if the sound system doen't have phantom power.

Coachz
Dec-01-2010, 5:00pm
What about the studio projects cs1 that has a 15k rolloff ?

Tim2723
Dec-01-2010, 5:04pm
I know folks will argue this, but I've found that any mic that will accurately reproduce the human voice has what it takes to amplify a mandolin. You can get really picky, sure, but the good 'ol SM57 is hard to beat.

Coachz
Dec-01-2010, 5:07pm
Dont i need a mic that lets you roll off highs or has this sound ?

Tim2723
Dec-01-2010, 5:26pm
Well, rolling off the highs is a function of the mixer. The ability to adequately roll off highs and still respond correctly is a mic function. As for the 'sound' there's no such thing as Bluegrass mic. There's a Bluegrass sound of course, but the mic's job is only to reproduce what it hears. This is especially true with acoustic music that depends on a natural, high fidelity reproduction. If your mandolin doesn't sound like Bluegrass, no mic will change that.

MWM
Dec-02-2010, 8:14am
I play grass and own an SM57, a Sennheiser e835, a couple Samson CO2's and a couple AT-3035's. Also play weekly in a band that uses Peavey CM1's. The CM1's are super for instruments or vocals. The 3035 is great for single mic use (and recording). The Samson CO2's are shockingly good for their low cost. The e835 is great for vocals and I've never cared for 57's. I surely wouldn't spend $300 on a mic for playing live. $100 is a good budget for a mic that competes with clinking of glasses and crowd noise.

Coachz
Dec-02-2010, 9:11am
When you play out what do you use for your mandolin mic and vocal mic ? Thanks for the great info !

Pete Martin
Dec-02-2010, 1:42pm
Mando mic, Shure KSM 137

Kevin K
Dec-02-2010, 4:53pm
KSM109 has done me good

Mike Bunting
Dec-02-2010, 6:03pm
Mando mic, Shure KSM 137

I'll agree though I use the KSM 141, essentially the same except that it is switchable between omni, figure 8 and cardioid.

MWM
Dec-03-2010, 7:26am
In band 1, we use Peavey CM1's for loud noisy gigs (vocals & instr). When we play quiet listener venues we use a single AT-3035. It's wonderful to sing harmony around a single mic.

In band 2, I use the e835 for vocals and the Samson CO2 for mando. The Samsons work well for guitar too.

Learning to use your mics well takes practice - just like playing an instrument.