PDA

View Full Version : 1993 F5L Weber Built

Rick Schmidlin
Oct-18-2004, 6:00pm
I was interested in finding out the feelings about a 1993 Bruce Weber built Gibson F5L. I am interested in one that he built for himself. How do these Gibson Weber built rate?

Rick Schmidlin

pickinNgrinnin
Oct-18-2004, 9:32pm
You can bet if Bruce built this one for himself (the one on Greg Boyd's site) it' a good one. The Montana made Gibson's are different instruments compared to the Nashville made Gibsons. Different construction, graduations. Not better or worse - just different. I've played a few Gibson F's from this era and they were very nice.

He seems to be cleaning out his collection as Boyd's site also shows a Flatiron A that he had. Great looking Mando!

doublestop
Oct-19-2004, 7:52am
My old mandolin teacher has one and it is top notch. Very loud, I remember one time in our lesson having to cover my ears because it was so loud.

John Rosett
Oct-19-2004, 8:28am
i've played the mando in question, and it's a good one. i have to say that i haven't played many f5l's that i've liked, but that one is a different story. it seems to have a more "full" sound than others i've played, and it's plenty loud, too. the flatiron A that belonged to bruce is really nice also.
if you get a chance to go to greg's, don't pass it up- he's got more mandolins than i've ever seen in one place.
john