PDA

View Full Version : 1924 A4 Virzi Snakehead - CL Richmond, Virginia

fatt-dad
Nov-30-2010, 9:08am
It's mighty pretty and priced somewhat high, but somebody out there may be interested. NFI, just noticed it and thought I'd share.

http://richmond.craigslist.org/msg/2073627298.html

f-d

F-2 Dave
Nov-30-2010, 9:31am
Looks like a beauty. Yeah, the price is a little high, but if he'll negotiate at all it's not that far out of line for a solid, original A4 snakehead. Sure would like to see some better pictures of it though. The sunburst is beautiful. Don't really know how much, if any the virizi adds to the value.

sgarrity
Nov-30-2010, 10:40am
$4995 is high for an A4 with Virzi? Not in my book! Unfortunately I'm not in the market.

fatt-dad
Nov-30-2010, 10:46am
Well if it's a good deal, Charles will have already called - ha.

f-d

sgarrity
Nov-30-2010, 11:08am
These were selling for $7-8k before the economy tanked.

mrmando
Nov-30-2010, 5:13pm
Shaun's right. I would say the Virzi adds $500–1,000 to the value, assuming there are buyers left who can afford to care about such distinctions.

Being already possessed of a very fine snakehead A4 (sadly, Virzi-less), I cannot say I am overwhelmingly tempted by this one. Tempted, yes, but not to excess.

Charles may indeed be on this one. It is certainly a good price, but only Charles knows whether he can earn enough of a margin on it to make it worth picking up.

MnRoss
Nov-30-2010, 5:29pm
I have a friend who has one just like this one. It is hands down the nicest sounding and loudest oval hole A model mando I've ever played. That is a pretty darn good price also. Cheaper than he paid for his 8 years ago by $5

Goodin
Dec-01-2010, 8:07am
Carmel Music has a Virziless A-4 Snake for sale for $6800. I think this is a great deal and if I had the extra cash I would buy it in a heartbeat. I have been lusting after one of these mandolins for some time now!

Dave Reiner
Dec-03-2010, 10:57am
I agree with Shaun and MnRoss... IMHO, if the condition is close to excellent, this should be worth $7K or more to a collector. A-4 Virzi Snakeheads are relatively rare and they record great.

Dave

Rob Gerety
Dec-03-2010, 2:39pm
Might be in the too good to be true category.

Charles Johnson
Dec-05-2010, 8:04pm
I did check it out. It is a 1925 A4 w/ Virzi. Definately a player grade - not a collector piece. 5/10 condition. Body finish appears to be original sunburst but fairly whipped with heavy pickwear on the top and extensive edge chipping on the back. No finish on the back of the neck. There is however something going on with the peghead finish. Its not black but a medium chocolate brown. Not a color I have ever seen on an original finish peghead or peghead back plate. No cracks in the body but it will need a fret job. Case is original, clamp style pickguard is too early for this year. Plays ok, sounds ok with mostly dead strings.

Charles

fatt-dad
Dec-05-2010, 10:18pm
. . . I had a feeling.

Nice summary. It seems a desirable mandolin for sure, even with a little "mojo."

f-d

Rob Gerety
Dec-06-2010, 7:54am
I bet with some TLC it could be a terrific player for someone with a ton of mo jo. Sounds like the issues are cosmetic. Might just be a fret job and a tuner rehab and your good to go.

Bob A
Dec-07-2010, 11:41am
Here's a link to a violin made by Virzi. Being auctioned today by Tarisio:
http://www.tarisio.com/pages/auction/auction_item.php?csid=2197471232&cpid=2525003776&kws=virzi

danb
Dec-19-2010, 12:48pm
There is however something going on with the peghead finish. Its not black but a medium chocolate brown. Not a color I have ever seen on an original finish peghead or peghead back plate.

Was that peghead like this one Charles? This is 81564, one I used to have .Chocolate brown peghead too i'd say..

http://www.mandolinarchive.com/images/81564_peghead_angle.jpg

Darryl Wolfe
Dec-20-2010, 1:24pm
I have seen these brownish pegheads...all right there in this period...one F5 too

Charles Johnson
Dec-28-2010, 5:15pm
I have seen these brownish pegheads...all right there in this period...one F5 too

Yes thats it.
Charles

Charles Johnson
Feb-21-2011, 12:02am
Just a followup, I just bought this mandolin. I've posted a picture of the peg head. I've never seen one that color before. The comments from Dan and Darryl were enough to convince me it was original. The Cafe is a tremendous resource. Thanks for the help guys!
Charles

http://www.vintagemandolin.com/images/25gibsona4peghead.jpg

Goodin
Feb-21-2011, 12:15pm
Just curious Charles, will you be putting this one up for sale? If so I will look forward to viewing the high resolution photos (you always take great photos).

Charles Johnson
Feb-27-2011, 9:48pm
Yes, I will have this one up for sale as soon as the frets are sorted out and its cleaned up.
Thanks
Charles