PDA

View Full Version : Jimmy Gaudreau Pieces And Bits

AlanN
Nov-29-2010, 2:05pm
Have given this a good several listens now after buying it from the man himself. One word: Great!

Jimmy has a style and feel all his own, and the tunes he writes (most all of them here) all have 'The Jimmy' stamped on them. His playing is precise, melodic, variable and just plain fun to listen to (and cop...). Judging this against his many recordings over the years, you hear his licks and style in spades, with all the ebbs and flows, albeit updated to the 21st century. And sometimes, his mandolin rings like a dang piano!

This is a Best Buy :mandosmiley:

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-30-2010, 2:50am
Alan - I totally agree re.Jimmy's playing. I saw him over here several years back,when he came over with Bill Clifton,with whom i've played Banjo many times in the past. I wasn't playing Mandolin at the time,but as i've loved the instrument since hearing Ralph Rinzler nearly 45 years back,i sat up & took notice of Jimmy's playing. He made it look so easy & his playing style is something that i've tried to emulate in my own. He was the first good Mandolin player that i had chance to see 'up close' . Jimmy's one of those players like Tom Rozum,who while not under-rated, aren't in the spotlight as much as they deserve. Maybe this latest offering will get him up-front & noticed,he richly deserves it,
Ivan

David
Dec-01-2010, 2:12pm
I'll have to check this album out. I love all the music he made with Tony Rice, they went together great vocally and instrumentally. Jimmy's playing also led me to check out Chesapeake, but I didn't care for them.

mando_dan
Dec-07-2010, 10:49am
I haven't sat down and LISTENED to it yet, but I've had on a few times as I've been puttering about the house. My impression is a CD filled with fantastic playing, great sound, and a pleasing originality. Jimmy is wonderful player who can play fast but only does so when it suits the piece- nice change from a lot of players who play like they're giving it all they've got all the time. Really good stuff that I look forward to hearing a lot more over the years.

Surprised this post hasn't gotten more attention.