PDA

View Full Version : Replacing Gibson A Model tuners

NewfoundlandMand
Feb-14-2004, 4:05pm
Hi all,

This has no doubt been discussed here before but I am relatively new to the Cafe. I plan on replacing the original Waverly tuners on my 1922 Gibson A Snakehead. So far, it looks like I might go with nickel Grovers but not sure about the sizing or spacing of new ones. (my current tuners, center post to center post are 1"15) Anyone else do this recently and have any thoughts or advice on where to go from here? Or perhaps there's an older thread I can check out. A search turned up nothing. Thanks!

Michael Lewis
Feb-15-2004, 12:33am
That is a transitional era for the machines, but chances are that the modern machines will fit. Please make another measurement and post it accurately. What we would look for is the center to center measurement of the string posts, but measure this at the gear rather than the tip of the posts because the posts can move as the base plate flexes. You can look up the modern measurement at LMII or Stewart/MacDonald.

Chris Baird
Feb-15-2004, 1:06am
The grovers have a center post spacing of 29/32 or .906". Another area of concern is if the size of your bushing holes match the new tuners bushings.