PDA

View Full Version : Beginner - Which One To Get?

JoshDuvall
Nov-28-2010, 8:07pm
Ok so I've played guitar for about 13 years now and really want to learn mandolin. I believe I have my choices narrowed down to either a Kentucky KM-630 or The
Loar LM-500 and was wondering which one you all would recommend? Or if you had any other recommendations? I'm wanting to play more bluegrass/folk music if that helps any. Thanks in advance for any help and info.

Josh Duvall

Jim
Nov-28-2010, 8:43pm
Hi Josh, Welcome to the cafe. Seems you are interested in an F style , are you where you can try them both and see what speaks to you. Otherwise they seem to be about the same thing for about the same price. Good luck with your quest.

JoshDuvall
Nov-28-2010, 8:49pm
I have got to try the Loar and it sounds good to my untrained ear. Frets were bigger than others I got to try which seemed to make it easier to play. I haven't got to try the Kentucky yet and it might be a while before my local shop gets them back in. I was wondering if it's so much better that it's worth the wait or good enough to order online sight unseen?

CES
Nov-28-2010, 9:22pm
The KM 630 is a pretty nice mandolin at that price point, and I would probably choose it over the LM 500 if I were buying online. That said, the Kentucky line tends to have a thinner neck profile, flat board, and skinny frets (even the 505, which is radiused, is barely so) when compared to the Loar models. I personally prefer the latter profile, and would probably look really hard for a LM 600 or 700 used (they're both a big step up from the 500 models IMHO). I played a 700 a few weeks ago that was a really good mandolin, though new they're well above the KM 630 in price.

Unless the smaller neck is a deal breaker, I'd go with the Kentucky between the two you've found so far...

EDIT...just actually read that you've gotten to play the Loar. If you like one you've played, I'd go with it over buying one online that you can't hear or feel ahead of time...at least you know what you're getting, know that you like it, and, IMO, the 630 isn't that much better that it's worth either the wait or the risk of buying online...sorry for the flip flop, but I've been burned in an online deal before...

JoshDuvall
Nov-29-2010, 3:56pm
Got a chance to play both side by side today and honestly liked the sound of the loar better. The Kentucky sounded kind of tinny and dull next to the loar to me. Didn't bite the bullet yet but might within the next couple days. Not a big fan of having a pickguard on it but the sound difference is worth it.

bmac
Nov-30-2010, 4:59pm
I tend to agree that if you can find one that plays well in a shop at a reasonable price it might be worth buying. Many mail order sellers at the lowest end have neither the ability nor interest in setting up your instrument so figure roughly $70 or so to have it down locally by a luthier. At your local shop you can probably get the seller to tweak it here and there, or even tweak it after you've played it for a few weeks. After all, they are selling service as well as an instrument.