PDA

View Full Version : my new Mix A4

wiesy
Nov-27-2010, 8:44pm
Wow! From cold Vermont to tropical Virgin Islands...! My early Christmas present arrived. Took it out on the boat today, something I would never consider with my vintage A-style Gibson! Don't worry, I won't use it as a paddle like the ads for the CA guitars. What a beauty. Perfect action, great tone! Kudos for this beauty!http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/images/smilies/mandosmiley.gif Very, very impressed. I am so happy to have a beautiful playing and looking mandolin that I can take traveling from humid Caribbean to Maine in summers. Played at 2 events this weekend; compliments all around for tone and projection (and looks!). Thanks, Peter, for this great instrument! (the design; my husband for the present)[/ATTACH]6517665177

Jill McAuley
Nov-27-2010, 10:08pm
Congratulations on that - what a great present! Love to hear a soundclip of it sometime!

Cheers,
Jill

Steve Cantrell
Nov-28-2010, 11:11am
Ditto on the sound clip. These look like perfect festival instruments.

wiesy
Nov-28-2010, 4:41pm
the mix a4 really is the perfect festival mandolin. my experience here is that the day starts out hot, the temperature drops when the sun is down, a rain squall blows through, and there goes tuning. in the states at summer festivals, noon can be blazing, then the ground fog rolls in at night, your wooden instruments soaked from the dew (and sweat!), not too good for the finish and certainly not for staying in tune. i am tired of worrying about my vintage mando. i still have it "away" due to our very nasty hurricane season this year. i can now leave our humid climate, spend a day in air-conditioned airports and planes, arrive in colder maryland or maine, and i am sure the a4 will be in tune! let there be fog, dew, cold (not too much for my sake!)....
look at the MAD website, Peter Mix designs, maybe a sound clip there (???)
wiesy

Steve-o
Nov-28-2010, 8:47pm
wiesy,
Sounds like you are a prime candidate for a CF mando. Glad to hear you like your Mix. I'd like to own one someday, since I bring my instruments sailing, camping, and through many temperature/humidity changes in Michigan. And they would indeed make a good festival mando. I wonder how much they vary in tone/volume. The one Mix that I played briefly did not overly impress me. I would expect that there would be much more uniformity compared to hand carved wooden instruments.

JEStanek
Nov-28-2010, 11:45pm
Looks nice all around. Congratulations and welcome to the Cafe!

Jamie