PDA

View Full Version : Simple beginner question regarding bridge

ieatcrayons
Nov-25-2010, 7:11pm
Right so I have a dumb question I recently bought a mandolin and I've been teaching myself how to play it. But when I got it, there was a piece of foamy material under the bridge. My question is should I remove this? It looks terrible. But at the same time it probably protects the instrument so I dunno.

Jim Ferguson
Nov-25-2010, 7:19pm
Howdy "crayons".........yes.....remove the foam...:-) I had the same foam in my bridge when the 1st mando I ever owned arrived in the mail from my eBay purchase years ago. It is simply there as a protective measure. By the way....that is a good Q.....there are no such things as stupid Qs here on the 'cafe' website....:-)
Welcome aboard. Happy mandolining.
Peace,
Jim

Tom F
Nov-29-2010, 2:44pm
Yes remove the foam. Be careful to put the bridge back exactly where it was (hopefully they placed it according to intonation). I usually take a red grease pencil and make a few marks on the top for reference.

And take a good look at the contact between the feet of the bridge and the top. There should be very little if no space. The mando and bridge may meld a little over time, but if there is considerable space, a good set up will take care of it. Good bridge fit is a big deal.

Steve Ostrander
Nov-29-2010, 3:02pm
I use a samll piece of masking tape to mark the bridge location, both north/south and east/west.