PDA

View Full Version : Played at a soup kitchen last night

F-2 Dave
Nov-25-2010, 11:30am
I live not too far from a fairly large city. As is the case with most cities of any size, it has it's places where people in need go to find food and shelter. I've always intended to go and volunteer, but somehow never got around to it. Sad, but true.

Last night the guys I play with and I got to play one of those places for their thanksgiving feast. They have three, one the night before and two on thanksgiving day. As I suspected, I was deeply humbled. It was a great night. The crowd of 200 or so was really into it. We got some of the little kids up on stage to sing some Christmas songs that they knew. We hope to go back soon.

Happy Thanksgiving to all.

Ed Goist
Nov-25-2010, 11:35am
Dave, this is a great post. Thank you. Happy Thanksgiving.

Aran
Nov-25-2010, 11:37am
Sounds great.... You have me thinking we should do something like that in Dublin over Christmas.

catmandu2
Nov-25-2010, 12:42pm
Well done, Dave.

Mandolin Mick
Nov-25-2010, 12:50pm
I play mandolin at the Milwaukee Rescue Mission once a month. My best audience, by far. :)

Matt DeBlass
Nov-25-2010, 3:15pm
Good work Dave! My mother is the cook for our local once-a-week soup kitchen and food pantry, and I volunteer on occasion (and I'm not ashamed to admit that these days I'm sometimes a "customer" as well). Anything you can do to spread a bit more holiday cheer is a blessing.

journeybear
Nov-25-2010, 10:08pm
With people like Dave, Mick, and Matt (and I'm sure there are others) I feel very glad and proud of our mandolin community. I am now trying to figure out some way to do something similar here.

MandoNicity
Nov-25-2010, 10:17pm
Fantastic story. It's always a great and humbling experience to perform for these types of "captive" audiences. Kudos!

JR

Markus
Nov-27-2010, 7:00am
With people like Dave, Mick, and Matt (and I'm sure there are others) I feel very glad and proud of our mandolin community. I am now trying to figure out some way to do something similar here.

It's one of the few things that makes me want to have a band again, our few free shows for the elderly were what I remember most fondly of our shows.

I've gained a lot of inspiration from Dave, Mick, Matt [and others] - and am shifting my lesson/practice plan to work together a set of solo music to share with the community whether at a soup kitchen, hospital, or residential care facility.

The only gig that carries warmer memories is the night a beautiful woman gave me a number at setbreak ... but as I married her, that isn't happening a second time [I no longer accept such invitations, thanks but no thanks].

I love playing music, I've never seen a more appreciative audience.
Does it get any more of a `win-win' situation than what Dave, Mick, Matt, etc do regularly?
[and hopefully inspire the rest of us to try]

journeybear
Nov-27-2010, 1:17pm
The only gig that carries warmer memories is the night a beautiful woman gave me a number at setbreak ... but as I married her, that isn't happening a second time ...

:)) Somehow this has just about never worked for me. And I thought playing music was a sure way to get girls. Or maybe that was just the promo. Anyway, I'm glad it worked for you! :mandosmiley:

Rocky: Oh, come on, Bullwinkle. That old trick never works.
Bullwinkle: OK, Rocky, this time for sure!

Matt DeBlass
Nov-27-2010, 1:32pm
The only gig that carries warmer memories is the night a beautiful woman gave me a number at setbreak ... but as I married her, that isn't happening a second time [I no longer accept such invitations, thanks but no thanks].

If this is a recurring problem for you, and you need a place to forward those phone numbers... ;)

journeybear
Nov-27-2010, 1:35pm
Hear. hear! Share the wealth. Matt and I (and probably a few others), we're just the helping-out type. :grin:

catmandu2
Nov-27-2010, 1:49pm
I've written about my experiences--playing for folks in need--several times before on the cafe, but I'll mention it again here as this is something that interests me a great deal. I regard the work that I do with hospice agencies--playing music for folks at or near end of life--as my best musical experiences--certainly the most profound (I usually use mandolin in this setting, btw). I'm currently working in four regular bands, but I make the time and effort to provide music for hospice patients whenever the agency calls me. As musicians, we have a gift of immense value to others.

For those seeking to share more of their music, do make the effort to play or sing for someone in need.

I am now trying to figure out some way to do something similar here.

For those looking for opportunities--there is no easier way to connect with an audience. Pick up the phone and dial up any number of agencies or long-term care facilities in your area. They are often over-booked with entertainers this time of year--as folks are often more inspired to share during the holidays--but there is no dearth of opportunity after the holiday season when we reassume our regular habits.

journeybear
Nov-27-2010, 2:52pm
You're right, of course. I was just thinking about the local soup kitchens and homeless shelters, which don't really function as social centers. Hospice, elderly and convalescent facilities - good ideas. Thanks!

Elliot Luber
Nov-27-2010, 3:05pm
I think I posted on this topic once before. When I was in college, a friend and I entertained a nursing home every week for about a year. One day, I found out we were being paid for the appearances, but my partner kept the money telling me it was charity work. Haven't spoken to him since, but I still enjoyed playing for the old folks there who were very appreciative. These days I send money from every pay check to a food pantry. Thanksgiving comes once a year, but hunger is a constant.

catmandu2
Nov-27-2010, 3:27pm
I was just thinking about the local soup kitchens and homeless shelters, which don't really function as social centers.

Easier still--as you don't need prearranged authorization: go down while they are serving, or simply visit the shelter, and take your mando along--someone will ask you to play. It may not feel like a "gig," and may be a bit humbling, but there is always someone there who will enjoy your music and appreciate your playing. With folks so receptive, it's very easy to establish a musical interaction.

Jim Ferguson
Nov-27-2010, 3:42pm
Way to go Dave. No doubt the friends at this soup kitchen enjoyed the talents of you & your band. It did get me laughing, however, as I recalled my wife & I trying to offer a similar "good service" to the community. We arranged to go to a local assisted living facility to play (me on the mando & my wife on the guitar) once a month & the elders LOVED it. I started questioning our contribution every time we visited as the elders requested all their old favourites: will the circle be unbroken, i'll fly away, victim to the tomb, etc etc etc.......THEY ARE ALL ABOUT DEATH & DYING!!!!! Anyways......the elders were requesting all their favourite tunes so we carried on nonetheless & the elders loved the music...:-)
Peace,
Jim

catmandu2
Nov-27-2010, 3:53pm
It's an interesting setting, Jim. I generally avoided murder ballads, even though that was the bulk of my old-time repertoire. I started playing jazz and pop standards from the early 1900s--as the ballads were oftentimes too intense for this audience. Music from the "jazz age" brings back good memories for a lot of older folks, so that's the bulk of my current repertoire.

With regards to hospice agencies, they've always been heavy on the harp repertoire. But some folks don't like "the harp"; some have never enjoyed harp repertoire--and the harp may carry the stigma of negative associations with death and dying. For those whose tradition has been folk music, they may be better served by old-time tunes familiar to them--even with provocative lyrics. One of the most popular tunes to sing is "You Are My Sunshine," yet it's one of the saddest songs in the repertoire!

Markus
Nov-27-2010, 4:02pm
I started questioning our contribution every time we visited as the elders requested all their old favourites: will the circle be unbroken, i'll fly away, victim to the tomb, etc etc etc.......THEY ARE ALL ABOUT DEATH & DYING!!!!!

It's a relevant topic after enough years I guess.

I certainly had poor song choice my first time out, and can see how requests would be odd - though easier than accidentally singing something too much.

I played at the assisted living facility my first time out like this - never thinking about the lines buried in the songs I was to sing.

Old Home Place [I've lost my home, I've lost my love, and now I wish I was dead]

Yikes. Halfway through it turned mumbly.

If this is a recurring problem for you, and you need a place to forward those phone numbers... ;)

Matt, it definitely was the first and only time a woman wanted to talk to me after hearing me play.

Pretty surely to be the only time, as my questionable looks aren't getting any better.

But it makes a good story, and is a nice reminder when she's shooting me looks after a couple hours of mandolin.

journeybear
Nov-27-2010, 5:32pm
... For those whose tradition has been folk music, they may be better served by old-time tunes familiar to them--even with provocative lyrics. One of the most popular tunes to sing is "You Are My Sunshine," yet it's one of the saddest songs in the repertoire!

A lot of times it seems people respond to the melody more than the lyrics - even if they know the words by heart - and are more motivated by the familiarity of the songs (and possibly associated memories) than their actual meaning. "You Are My Sunshine" has a great melody, lends itself well to harmonies, and is all major chords (despite the sad lyrics).

Loretta Callahan
Nov-27-2010, 6:05pm
Can't think of many things much more nourishing: good food and good music. We all need them both to feed body, mind and spirit. Thanks for the encouraging post! I'll have to practice more, or I might get some of that nourishing food tossed on my mandolin if I venture out too soon.

Miked
Nov-27-2010, 6:48pm
Excellent way to spend Thanksgiving, F-2 Dave! My hat's off to you!

Willie Poole
Nov-27-2010, 6:50pm
I have discussed with my band members about doing a show at a DAV hospital, what better way to show them how much we appreciate what they have done for us? Some of them say they don`t know how they would act amoung men with some limbs missing, riding in wheel chairs and walking with the aid of crutches, so I am still working on them to give it a try.....