PDA

View Full Version : What's up with Red Bear?

Elliot Luber
Nov-24-2010, 9:16pm
No one seems to be carrying their stuff anymore. I like their picks, I just don't see them for sale a lot anymore.

mandolirius
Nov-24-2010, 9:25pm
I heard they were bought up by Blue Chip. :grin:

George R. Lane
Nov-24-2010, 9:43pm
I Just looked at their website. Seems they are alive and well, but have no dealers. They only make them to order (about a 5 week wait), they have no stock picks. I have one and it sounds real good, but I do prefer my Blue Chip (it's a little slicker)

RBMB
Nov-25-2010, 9:31am
They stopped working through dealers.

Jim Kirkland
Nov-25-2010, 2:58pm
Just bought 2 picks from them yesterday. Look on their csutom page, that is the pick my brother, Bill Kirkland in TN, had made.

earlyriser
Nov-26-2010, 8:52am
They no longer sell to dealers, they only sell direct from their website.

Barbara Shultz
Nov-26-2010, 2:05pm
Wow, a five week wait time....

allenhopkins
Nov-26-2010, 2:17pm
I heard they were bought up by Blue Chip. :grin:

So the result would be Purple Bear Chips?

Chris Biorkman
Nov-26-2010, 2:23pm
I always liked their picks, but the fact that they bend like they do if you leave them in your pocket is a deal breaker for me.

Elliot Luber
Nov-26-2010, 3:43pm
I haven't tried the Blue Chip yet, and I hear all the fans, but I like Red Bears, but it seams like they're a pain to get ahold of.

Jill McAuley
Nov-28-2010, 11:36am
I was at Gryphon Stringed Instruments a few weeks ago and they still have some Red Bears in stock - I was going to get one just to try out but then decided against it since I'm so happy with my Blue Chip. But you might want to contact the folks at Gryphon to see what they've got in stock: http://www.gryphonstrings.com/

Cheers,
Jill

Big Joe
Nov-28-2010, 7:28pm
I don't like that they break so easily. They are pretty expensive for something with a limited lifespan. I have not been able to break a bluechip or a real tortoise in many years, but the Red Bear break pretty easily.

MandoPheel
Dec-03-2010, 11:28pm
It does take a while to get them directly from Red Bear, but I think they're worth it. To me, both their standard "mock" tortoise and their Tuff-Tone line have a richer, more complex sound than Blue Chips of a similar size and shape. The Tuff-Tones won't bend or break and are only $10.

Phil

Bluegrassnate
Dec-04-2010, 5:09pm
So the result would be Purple Bear Chips?

Wow.... That would be amazing.

JeffD
Dec-04-2010, 10:57pm
I have some Red Bears, and I love them. When playing alone I like the tone a little better than the BC.

I have everyone I ever bought. I don't take better care of them than any other pick, I just play them hard and put them away when I am done.

You almost have to try and break 'em methinks. Soak them in water and fold them in half I read someone say a while back, which if I did that to my mandolin it would break as well.

But just leaving it in your pocket? Thats disconcerting.

Oh well.

Cheryl Watson
Dec-05-2010, 12:20am
I learned a long time ago that anything I put in my pocket was bound to be lost. I've lost picks this way, money, and once a very nice ring. I have had great luck with the Red Bear heavy gauge picks over the last five years or so. I received my most recent picks, custom ordered about a few months ago. They are very complex in tone, better to my ears than any other pick.

Fretbear
Dec-05-2010, 12:32am
I'm just happy that something that sounds 96% like something else is available at all.......

JeffD
Dec-05-2010, 1:19am
Red Bears, with the righte bevel, or blue chips, are better than natural TS, because they don't wear out. You will lose it or break it or pass on to your eternal reward long before you wear it out. Your kids or their kids will probably not wear them out either.

adizz
Dec-05-2010, 11:43am
I had 2 of the originals a few years back, within a week 1 snapped in half while we were on stage playing. I gave the other away that night. I have been playing 2 of there new tufftone picks for awhile now and absolutely love them, they seem to wear down a lot faster than the websight would suggest though. They come off of the strings nice and slick and I really like the tone

mcgannahanskjellifetti
Dec-07-2010, 4:20pm
I know a store here in town that still has them in stock. Can probably order one from them...

http://www.homesteadpickinparlor.com/

Elliot Luber
Dec-07-2010, 4:41pm
I've lost a mess of them in my couch. One day I'll throw out the couch and surgically remove my life savings. :)

Bernie Daniel
Dec-10-2010, 9:24am
I know a store here in town that still has them in stock. Can probably order one from them...

http://www.homesteadpickinparlor.com/

Thanks for the information. That is an impressive handle you have (mcgannahanskjellifetti) but it must be a pain to sign in with it?

mandohobo
Dec-12-2010, 11:23pm
Wow, a five week wait time....

I have received them quicker than that. I love their picks as they really improve tone and speed. They cost a lot less that the bluechip picks as well.

Skip Kelley
Dec-13-2010, 8:31am
A friend handed me his Red Bear pick to try a few years back and said look how stiff it is. I said oops! It broke!:)) I bought him a new pick!!:) BlueChip is the way to go!!!

Perry
Dec-13-2010, 9:32am
Thanks for the information. That is an impressive handle you have (mcgannahanskjellifetti) but it must be a pain to sign in with it?

A Grateful Dead reference perhaps?

I've gone fifty plus gigs with Red Bears and not snapped them but then again I have had them snap on me in mid song at least twice. Always on a pick that has seen some hard usage. When they go they really go!

Red Bear's are great picks; a little darker then Blue Chips. I like Blue Chips a whole lot too.