PDA

View Full Version : Dawg and Del McCoury Band, Fanny Hill

Dave Gumbart
Nov-24-2010, 2:11pm
A You Tube video I just came across - maybe been posted before, not sure. Good tune, of course, but check out the hat on Grisman. Looks familiar.

IoVZ2AIMePw&feature=related

Scotti Adams
Nov-24-2010, 4:25pm
Seems to me Dawg had a terrible time of it. Chording his way thru most of his breaks..must have been having a bad night.

Mattg
Nov-24-2010, 4:38pm
Seems to me Dawg had a terrible time of it. Chording his way thru most of his breaks..must have been having a bad night.

Still better than 99.999% of all mandolin players alive today.

Scotti Adams
Nov-25-2010, 8:35am
Maybe on a good night. Dont get me wrong..David is one of my favs..but something is definently amiss here.

John Hill
Nov-25-2010, 8:51am
Ronnie was sure playing fast & clean. I don't question a player the caliber of Dawg. If he's chording a lot during a solo I'm presuming because that's how he's wanting it to sound. He's only played that tune bazillion times most likely, might as well try something to keep it fresh.

Scotti Adams
Nov-25-2010, 12:48pm
Ronnie was sure playing fast & clean. I don't question a player the caliber of Dawg. If he's chording a lot during a solo I'm presuming because that's how he's wanting it to sound. He's only played that tune bazillion times most likely, might as well try something to keep it fresh.

Could be..but his right arm seems unordinarily stiff.

Dan Cole
Nov-25-2010, 1:08pm
I think its that Italian mando. It is great in it's environment, but not a bluegrasser. Ronnie's playing and stick are first class!

Ron McMillan
Nov-25-2010, 10:55pm
This might be the equivalent of the heavy metal rock guitarists who get the teens frothing by playing eleventy bazillion sections of blues scales over and over at breakneck speed.

I love Ronnie McCoury's playing, and I know Grisman is in a league of his own, but this style of machine-gun scatter-spray, paid-by-the-note playing leaves me cold. Supremely difficult to achieve, I know, but in my view it is more about shallow showmanship than it is about musicianship. I'd rather see either of these gents play something we can actually hear.

rm

Dave Gumbart
Nov-25-2010, 10:56pm
Regardless of the playing, the reason for posting the video was the Mandolin Cafe hat. So much for being subtle, I guess. And, of course, Grisman himself gives Ronnie major props before they even play a note.

Ron McMillan
Nov-25-2010, 11:45pm
Regardless of the playing, the reason for posting the video was the Mandolin Cafe hat.

I have the same hat in the same khaki green colour; so far it hasn't helped me play like DG, but I'll give it time.....

tango_grass
Nov-26-2010, 1:38am
What a great video! Dawg is the man..I loved what he was doing. I think what some of you are noticing is the speed of the tune. I can't say I've ever heard Dawg play something that was quite that fast, Ronnie kicked it off with some grit! Not to say David can't play fast, it just seems the DGQ doesn't push tempos quite to that height. I think DG did what he could, and that was good enough for me! Loved it.