PDA

View Full Version : Pulled the trigger today on my first mandolin

aweave8
Nov-23-2010, 2:53pm
I speak for every new player on this forum, thanks for everyone's patience, encouragement and knowledge. I wouldn't have gotten to this point without your advice and the history of information shared on this website. Thank you!

Based on everyone's advice for the majority of new players...today I ordered a Kentucky KM505 from Steve Miklas at Acoustic Music Works in Pittsburgh PA. They are not a local shop for me, but within a one tank round trip if I ever need to visit them.

Now the wait begins!!! I've already covered a few threads about cold weather shipments and I plan to be cautious. Which I'm sure will be the ultimate test of my will power once it is here.

Have a nice Thanksgiving everyone!

Regards,
Adam Weaver

jasona
Nov-23-2010, 2:54pm
Congrats and enjoy!

Jim Ferguson
Nov-23-2010, 3:16pm
Way to go Adam!!!! Congrats on your soon to be "new arrival". I remember ordering my 1st mando about 8 years back when I was up in Nome Alaska........it was a test for sure with each passing day & no mando arrival. Finally it did arrive & I can't tell you how excited I was to get that Tyler Mountain out of the box & strung up & start playing. I have since graduated to a Gibson F-9 and have never looked back...:-) Enjoy your new mando.
Peace,
Jim

JEStanek
Nov-23-2010, 3:37pm
I hope you enjoy your new mandolin. Have a blast!

Jamie

Mandobar
Nov-23-2010, 4:07pm
Steve is a great guy and knows his mandolins.

Jim MacDaniel
Nov-23-2010, 4:09pm
And congrats on finding one of those -- I keeping reading here how they are in short supply.

Jill McAuley
Nov-23-2010, 5:09pm
Congratulations - great mandolin to start out on, you'll get a lot of mileage out of it!

Cheers,
Jill

aweave8
Nov-23-2010, 7:22pm
Steve has 2 left if anyone is out there looking for one.

Lou Giordano
Nov-23-2010, 7:34pm
The 505 is my first too. you are going to love it.

I would ask them to make sure and refit the bridge when they set it up. That was the only issue with mine. I did it myself the other day and it made a big difference in volume. Now the bridge has stopped moving around.

David Rambo
Nov-23-2010, 7:38pm
Congratulations on your new mandolin. I hope you enjoy it for a long time. (Or until that dreaded disease MAS kicks in. Then you'll have even more to enjoy!)

onestepahead
Nov-23-2010, 9:45pm
Congratulations, Adam!!! :) Enjoy your new mandolin, and be sure to update us on what you think about it!

mandolirius
Nov-23-2010, 9:47pm
I'm just curious. Is there any other phrase around here for purchasing something than "pulled the trigger"?

Elliot Luber
Nov-23-2010, 10:00pm
As Tom Petty said, "The waiting is the hardest part."

bernabe
Nov-23-2010, 10:15pm
Right on!:mandosmiley:

hank
Nov-23-2010, 10:28pm
Congratulations Adam. Hmmm, now you gotta choose your first plectrum.

aweave8
Nov-23-2010, 10:41pm
Is there any other phrase around here?

Ugh, I just did a search for "pull the trigger" and my computer almost exploded, ha ha. sorry about that.:redface:

Eddie Sheehy
Nov-23-2010, 10:47pm
Ain't no trigger on my mandolin.. did you mean Triggs?

Ed Goist
Nov-23-2010, 11:23pm
Congratulations!
Please report back after you've spent some time with your KM505.
Enjoy!

Ed Goist
Nov-23-2010, 11:25pm
I'm just curious. Is there any other phrase around here for purchasing something than "pulled the trigger"?

Is there any other phrase around here for prefacing a question than "I'm just curious"?

Mike Bunting
Nov-24-2010, 12:13am
I hope you get a big bang out of it.

mandolirius
Nov-24-2010, 12:52am
Is there any other phrase around here for prefacing a question than "I'm just curious"?

Many questions are asked around here without being prefaced by that, or any other phrase. What, are you "taking a shot" at me? Am I "in your line of fire"? Have I become a "target"? Are you going after me, "locked and loaded"?

I know firearms use have provided lots of phrases to the language but you have to admit, "pulled the trigger" is in it's own category.

MandoNicity
Nov-24-2010, 2:16am
Congrats on your purchase, and welcome to our little obsession. ;)

JR

Ed Goist
Nov-24-2010, 8:14am
Many questions are asked around here without being prefaced by that, or any other phrase. What, are you "taking a shot" at me? Am I "in your line of fire"? Have I become a "target"? Are you going after me, "locked and loaded"?

I know firearms use have provided lots of phrases to the language but you have to admit, "pulled the trigger" is in it's own category.

Awesome reply! Just fantastic...exceptional.

JeffD
Nov-24-2010, 12:02pm
Awesome reply! Just fantastic...exceptional.

Superlative even.

JeffD
Nov-24-2010, 12:04pm
There is nothing like one's first mandolin. I can't imagine the fun as stuff we have yammered on about here on the cafe turns into reality in your hands, as you have those inevitable "aha" moments.

Mark Hudson
Nov-24-2010, 12:44pm
After asking the same questions you had (and probably getting the same answers <g>) my Kentucky 505 (used - also from a member here) arrived about a week and a half ago... VERY happy with it so far... with the one tune I can play :-) working on chords and scales while I figure out what the next tune should be <lol!>
Probably should change my user id here now that the banjo-mandolin has been relegated to a doorstop ;-)
Congrats and enjoy!

Tom F
Nov-29-2010, 3:10pm
"my first mandolin "

Oh boy. I'm sorry to hear that. If only you would have asked me first I could have warned you. Now it's too late. You are thinking "what is he talking about"? But wait... just wait...

Laird
Nov-29-2010, 10:16pm

I was wondering the same thing. It's a mighty strange metaphor, but one that seems awfully common on this site.

CES
Nov-29-2010, 10:39pm
Congratulations on your new mandolin! Don't worry about your figures of speech...just mention Blue Chip picks or ToneRights and you'll divert everyone's attention! And then, for good measure, mention Chris Thile, Gibson's customer service history (Bill did carve the name out of his headstock, for Pete's sake), and Wiens, all in the same thread!!!

As a country boy and also an English major from the Carolinas, I know what you mean and take no offense. Don't let us curb your enjoyment at all!!

BTW, do you have it yet? Love it? Hate it? Not sure yet?

mandolirius
Nov-29-2010, 10:41pm
I was wondering the same thing. It's a mighty strange metaphor, but one that seems awfully common on this site.

It's common here, but this is largely an American site. I'm in Canada and "pulling the trigger" is almost never used to describe making a purchase. Gun ownership is rare is this country and those who do don't generally discuss it much.

aweave8
Nov-29-2010, 11:14pm
No official tracking numbers issued yet, but I'm expecting delivery late this week.

Kerry Krishna
Nov-29-2010, 11:55pm
Aleivi8, can you post some pictures here please? And congrats! You must be super happy!.

mandolirius
Nov-30-2010, 12:13am
Aleivi8, can you post some pictures here please? And congrats! You must be super happy!.

Uh, no offense but it's a Chinese-made production line instrument. There are pictures all over the internet. They all look pretty much the same. And I think he'll have to at least receive it before becoming "super happy".

JEStanek
Nov-30-2010, 8:43am
Well, they're all somewhat different, and there is some pride in ownership, and I bet he's excited and happy with making a decision and looking forward to getting his first mandolin. I know I was. I know I wanted to share that enthusiasm with the world.

Feel free to post and share it, Adam, and welcome to the Cafe.

Jamie

Rick Cadger
Nov-30-2010, 9:33am
Uh, no offense but it's a Chinese-made production line instrument. There are pictures all over the internet. They all look pretty much the same. And I think he'll have to at least receive it before becoming "super happy".

LOLz, like many other halfway decent mandolins, the 505s have some pretty nice woods. Mine has a very pleasant flame on the back and neck.

The one in the pic is from a Mandolin Hut image. Mine's got a lot more flame than shows up in the one in the photo.

http://themandolinhut.com/mandolin%20km%20505%20kentucky%20b_small.jpg

I don't think they look any more "all alike" than Collings MTs or Gibson F9s ;)

Adam: congratulations. If you enjoy yours even half as much as I enjoy my 505 then you're going to have plenty of fun.

aweave8
Nov-30-2010, 10:50pm
Great news! My long awaited package arrived today! I only had the chance for about a hour of play time, but my first impression was great. My new 505 is a heck of a nice upgrade from the loaned junker I was picking on. I am very excited and pleased with my purchase from Acoustic Music Works. Steve did a nice job for me getting everything set up. I couldn't be happier!:mandosmiley:

Ed Goist
Nov-30-2010, 11:54pm
Congratulations! Be sure to keep us posted.