PDA

View Full Version : Setup. Ether north west uk or from themonn.

LeonN
Nov-22-2010, 1:33pm
Hi all. I am about to bye my first OK mandolin. I think it will be 'the loar lm 600-vs' from germany. I think it's from a shop called 'thomann'. Does anyone know about how good there setup is? And if it's not to hot or it's sporadic and Canot be relied on ware do I take my new instrument to be set up? Wot shuld I expect? Is it something I sit and whate walst it's done or do I drop it of one weekend and pick it up the next? Haw mutch might it cost.

I am based on the Wirral between Liverpool and Wales but don't mind traveling for a good job.

Any help and advise will be appreciated. I am still quite new to all this and had my cheep mandolin not suffered ware to it's frets I probably wuld not be replasing it. Although I am exited about my purchase I am apprehensive about spending wot to me is a lot of money on something I may not yet be able to appreciate and Culd easily be ripped of regards this.

Dagger Gordon
Nov-22-2010, 4:12pm
I have bought some PA gear from Thomann.

They are basically a huge warehouse type company, and I wouldn't expect a good set-up (actually any set-up) from them. It will be straight as it comes from the factory, I would think (which might be OK).

If you expect a local music shop to then set it up for you, I'm afraid I think that would be poor form. One of the advantages of buying an instrument from a reputable shop is precisely because you can expect them to set it up to your requirements. You may pay slightly more, but you are actually getting something for it. It is a struggle for local shops to keep going if everybody buys stuff from cheaper mail order firms, and I think you would be rubbing salt in the wound to then ask the local shop to set it up for you.

If you want to buy online but local to yourself maybe try these people:

http://www.the-music-room.com/

or maybe

http://www.hobgoblin.com/

LeonN
Nov-22-2010, 4:48pm
I had not tought of it like that.

Ok then. Is it pisable to set it up Yourself? I ca do lots myself. (made a car that type of thing) though I feal this may be different.

Dagger Gordon
Nov-22-2010, 5:17pm
Depends how much you know about it.

Rick Cadger
Nov-22-2010, 5:40pm
Thomann are reputable. I've bought from them several times and they have been pretty good. However, David's right - they're a volume outfit so set-up is likely to be factory default.

Personally I think it's fine to get a shop to set it up for you. AFAIK there aren't any/many The Loar dealers in the UK, and so Thomann won't be a competitor as far as this product goes. Also, you'll pay for a set-up service in a local shop, so it's all business for them.

Doing set-ups is not difficult, but it requires practice. As my budget is always limited I have had plenty of badly set-up import mandolins that have pretty much forced me to set them up, so it's now something I'm very accustomed to doing, but starting cold on what sounds like it will be your main mandolin... I hesitate to recommend it.

Dagger Gordon
Nov-23-2010, 1:41am
It is true that there may not be many shops who stock The Loar.

However, if you are looking for a recommendation for a good mandolin set-up, I think it follows that most shops which might be able to do that would probably also sell mandolins, and as such might not be all that happy about doing work on an instrument you have bought from someone else in a way that could be seen as undercutting their business.

I have no disagreement that Thomann are a good company, but the fact remains that if you were to buy a microphone (for example) from them which could have been bought locally, it is taking business away from the local shop. It therefore seems to me fairly clear that local shops will not like Thomann much.

My approach would be to see who is capable of doing a set-up in your area (which doesn't necessarily mean your most local shop) and see what they have to offer. I do feel that shops which deal in mandolins deserve support. If you can't find what you want and feel you do want to buy a The Loar from Thomann, at least you have given the local guys a chance.

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-23-2010, 2:22am
Contact Richard Thompson in Wigan :- www.tomsonguitars.co.uk/ . I had Richard set up a Guitar for me several years back & he's an excellent craftsman,
Ivan

LeonN
Nov-23-2010, 3:06am
Thanks all for your responses.
I have tried my lockel shops but that sell nothingmoor than mass produced ply models. This may also be why I am reluctant to have them set it up. Though I know Thay may do a fab job. I have contacted KGB who repare violins and gitars and also Jhon oxley who is a lockel chap. See if I get a response from them.
I really do get your points about lockel bidness.

Ron McMillan
Nov-23-2010, 3:15am
Dagger's points about giving custom to local stores are valid, but if you want a The Loar and Thomann is your source, that's reasonable, since The Loar's retail representation in the UK is very poor. Having tried to contact the parent company in the USA more than once to discuss this, I conclude from the absence of even a token response that there isn't much likelihood of their market presence getting much better anytime soon.

But even if you are not giving custom to your local music shop, you can put business the way of a good local luthier as suggested by Ivan and others. Many fine luthiers have to take in repair or set-up work to pay the bills, and if a good set-up costs £100, I reckon that might be the best hundred pounds you ever spend.

rm

Dagger Gordon
Nov-23-2010, 4:08am
It is certainly true that a local repair man/luthier who is working on his own should be able to set up a mandolin wherever it has been purchased, and if you definitely want a The Loar I would have no argument with that course of action.

I actually don't think it's a good idea to buy an instrument without personally trying it, however. In my own experience I have sometimes been quite disappointed with instruments which, judging from their appearance and description, I thought I might have liked rather more.

I have no experience at all of The Loar so I realise that I might be speaking out of turn, but on a trip to London earlier this year I paid a visit to Hobgoblin and I must say I was impressed by their stock of affordable mandolins. They had quite a good selection, I thought, including Breedlove, Kentucky and Paul Hathway. I also noted that the staff could usually play them and seemed to be knowledgeable about them, so on that basis I think I would have a look at their stores in Birmingham, Manchester or Leeds. Perhaps Ivan or someone else might have something to add to that.

http://www.hobgoblin.com/hobnob/shopstory.php?ID=1184

8stringthing
Nov-23-2010, 6:30am
I bought a "The Loar" 600 from Thomann a few months ago. It is a nice mandolin when set up and I am very happy with it. The setup when it arrived from Thomann was horrible, the action was very high, the frets needed levelling and the truss rod needed an adjustment. the stock bridge was a bit thin to my mind and I replaced it. I suspect Thomann simply take delivery from their suplliers and then reship the instruments without opening the case. I am pretty sure this model is not available in the UK so if you want one, you will have to import it. If you buy from a reputable mandolin store in the USA you can have it set up well, but you will have to pay shipping and import tax. As Thomann is in the EU, there is no import tax and they offer free shipping. I found them a pretty good company to deal with. A good alternative would be to give Trevor a call at Tamco and see what he can offer you in your price range. He will do you right.

David

Martin Jonas
Nov-23-2010, 6:47am
As far as setup is concerned, get in touch with Matthew Bascetta in Spital, just around the corner from you. He also builds mandolins, so having a chat with him might be a good idea anyway. Matthew is a good guy. His home page is:

Link (http://www.mjbluthier.co.uk/contact.htm)

Also, if you're interested in playing classical and/or Italian style mandolin in an ensemble, and happy to read music in standard notation, send me a PM: we are the Wirral Mandoliers and meet every week in Wallassey for rehearsal.

Martin

LeonN
Nov-23-2010, 1:18pm
Thanks again all.

Had a lovely conversation with Matthew Bascetta in Spital thisafternoon and he is not only going to set up my new mandolin but put my mind at rest abit saying he would the the instrument a good going over and pointing out there good returns polocey. Shuld anything be wrong or I just don't like the instrument. So. All ordered and now just Wating with excitement.

Thanks again.

Ow and regards your kind offer. I don't read music fast at all and really don't feel I am good enough to go and "play out" but one day for shaw I will look you up. Maybe march 2047 :-)

LeonN
Nov-23-2010, 1:34pm
Thanks again all.

Had a lovely conversation with Matthew Bascetta in Spital thisafternoon and he is not only going to set up my new mandolin but put my mind at rest abit saying he would the the instrument a good going over and pointing out there good returns polocey. Shuld anything be wrong or I just don't like the instrument. So. All ordered and now just Wating with excitement.

Thanks again.

Ow and regards your kind offer. I don't read music fast at all and really don't feel I am good enough to go and "play out" but one day for shaw I will look you up. Maybe march 2047 :-)