PDA

View Full Version : Ozark army and navy advice.

Oliver R
Nov-22-2010, 4:56am
Hello folks,
Just looking for an ok beginner mandolin for my son.
I think the army navy/route is the best (value for money) way to go in the £100-£150 range.
Just wondered if any of you have had a go on the Ozark solid mahogany instrument or could suggest any others in this price range (bearing in mind I am UK based).
Many thanks,
Oliver

Also I was just having a look at an Epiphone MM30E-AS.
They look ok.........?

Rick Cadger
Nov-22-2010, 6:45pm
I would look at a Kentucky if your budget really won't stretch.

I tried an Ozark army/navy from a certain Yorkshire store a couple of years back. The set-up (if one had ever been done) was appalling, and the instrument in general was rather nasty. The one I made from a StewMac kit was much better.

I've tried one Epiphone in a guitar shop in St Albans some time ago. I don't know which model, but it wasn't up to much (I've been happy with their guitars though). It was blue with an in-yer-face Epi logo on the finger rest/pickguard. Sounded quiet and dull.

YMMV, and obviously the choice at that pricepoint is very limited.

Oliver R
Nov-23-2010, 5:59am
Well, I actually just bought a Washburn M1S for a pretty good price.
I had one of these a couple of years ago and it was a pretty good mandolin for the cash.
Solid top and very well built.

Jim MacDaniel
Nov-23-2010, 4:05pm
There isn't much in your price range to choose from. Ordinarilly the conventional wisdom here is to stay away from eBay sellers, unless they are reputable music stores that know mandolins and do their own setup, since you might end up with an unplayable mandolin shaped object to hang on the wall for decor. However, given this eBay UK seller's return policy, this all solid A4 style instrument (http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Delta-Blue-Gypsy-Style-Mandolin-All-Solid-Hand-Carved-/390263701049) might be worth checking out, since you have 14 days to return it if it turns out to be an unplayable POS. (If you take a chance on it and like it, you will definitely want to invest a little more to have someone local do a proper setup job on it for you, in order to manimize its playability and your enjoyment.)