PDA

View Full Version : String Sounds

Amadeus
Nov-20-2010, 12:20am
Greetings!
I am basically uninitiated when it comes to the Mandolin, and so I have a question:

Would it be possible for you (the reader) to tell me what type of mandolin string you use, why you prefer it and possibly attach a audio file of the sound too?

I am looking to replace my current strings (one E broke recently) and am not sure what type I had. (Maybe Phosphorous Bronze?) It would therefore help me to know more about the string types and what they sound like. (I am considering getting a different type too. Maybe Stainless Steel?)

Thanks!

yankees1
Nov-20-2010, 9:18am
A ton of string advice on search, try it !

lenf12
Nov-20-2010, 9:19am
Sorry Amadeus, we need more information like what kind of mandolin and what kind of music do you want to play on it prior to making any string recommendations. You may get a lot replies with D'Addario J-74s as a good string set to start your experimenting.

Len B.
Clearwater, FL

Jon Hall
Nov-20-2010, 9:23am
I don't have any experience with stainless steel strings. I've been using D'addario J74 phosphorous for several years and I'm very satisfied with them.

I have tried Gibson Sam Bush Monel strings. The monel strings aren't as bright as the phosphorous bronze but they have a distinct dry, "woody" tone on my mandolin.

I have also tried GHS silk & steel and silk & bronze. These strings have what I call a dry tone but with much brighter treble than the monel strings. I have recommended these strings for mandolins that don't have a strong bass.

The only coated strings that I have tried and liked were Cleartone strings.

Tim2723
Nov-20-2010, 10:58am
Hi and welcome! Without knowing more about your desires, it's safe to say that the J-74 strings are a good place to start. In truth, every mandolin is an individual as are the players, so it's very hard to recommend a specific set. The various categories of strings have their own characteristics, but experimenting with different strings is one of the fun parts of the journey.

Rodney Riley
Nov-20-2010, 11:04am
I like the Martin Bluegrass strings M-450's

Gelsenbury
Nov-20-2010, 11:04am
One thing about the J-74s is that they feel pretty heavy. If you're a beginner, you may find that lighter strings offer better playability.

DerTiefster
Nov-20-2010, 11:33am
@Gelsenbury: "...you may find that lighter strings offer better playability." I'd say the same about flatwound or the partially shaved "flat top" FT-74 strings: less abrasive to the fingertips and less noise from sliding along the strings. The coated strings offer some of the same features (not everyone calls them advantages).

Amadeus
Nov-20-2010, 4:04pm
I give thanks to each of your for your advice.

These are good suggestions, and I will probably go with Len's advice with starting to experiment with D'Addario J-74s, and also yankees1's advice on searching more information too.

(I forgot to mention that in my first post I brought up the question of Stainless Steel is because I hear that they do not rust, which was piqued my attention since my hands sweat constantly and it could contribute to damage of the strings.)

Tom Wright
Nov-20-2010, 5:00pm
In my understanding only the wound strings are stainless wound; the plain strings may be plain steel. Coated strings will protect from corrosion in the windings, but again, I'm not sure that the plain ones are coated in all versions.

The good news is that those plain strings are not expensive and can be bought separately. But no mandolin strings are punishingly expensive; a full set of even the respected Thomastik flatwounds are about the same price as one viola C string from the same company. If you have to replace a full set every month, it will cost you about 20 cents a day for typical mandolin strings, up to maybe 60 cents for the premium-price Thomastiks. Then again, most people find Thomastiks last something like a year or more.

Live a little, buy a few sets to try out.

Markus
Nov-20-2010, 5:48pm
I would now go with the J74s.

Washing and 100% dry hands before playing, wipe strings down after playing helps them last a lot longer.

With a new instrument I normally get three or four different kinds of strings to cycle through to try each string change. That way in a few months time I will know how each sounds on my particular instrument to my ears.