PDA

View Full Version : Coin-a-word...Mandolism

Ron Landis
Nov-12-2010, 2:49am
Mandolism. The action of causing damage or destruction via a mandolin or a mandolin solo... from the root word - Vandalism. I actually registered this word on coin-a-word.com or something like that. Can you use it in a sentence?

craig.collas
Nov-12-2010, 3:09am
I have felt that watching Tommy Emmanuel play guitar if somebody asked me after seeing him if I played guitar I would have said no I am the cleaner. This is in jest because I also find myself somehow liberated by hearing what is undoubtedly beautiful and yet something I would not have thought possible.

Bertram Henze
Nov-12-2010, 7:56am
Last week's jam was broken up by mandolists. This seems to reinforce the stance of mandolitionists again...

Matt DeBlass
Nov-12-2010, 9:05am
is it an act of mandolism to deliberately try to slow a tune down when the fiddle players try to ramp up the violocity beyond reason?

journeybear
Nov-12-2010, 9:09am
The rambunctious behavior and drunken caterwauling depicted in a late 19th-century newspaper report was a clear case of mandolism.

That's as defined by the OP. I must say the first glance reaction I had upon seeing the term made me think it meant "belief in mandolas" or "devotion to mandolas," and that the term we should be concerned with would thus be "mandolinism." ;)

Ed Goist
Nov-12-2010, 11:12am
Whenever Sean and Rory, the 'Boys from County Mayo', broke out their dueling, souped-up, Celtic e-mandos and performed their raucous rendition of Whiskey Before Breakfast at Mulrooney's Pub, the drunken faithful would invariably be driven to episodes of mandolism accentuated by the hurling of both insults and empty pint glasses.

catmandu2
Nov-12-2010, 12:48pm
Rather than the pernicious connotation--unless in the gen-x vernacular (e.g., "killing")--it has more of a natural evocation for me in the addiction milieu.

Such as: the daiquiri-fortified mandol killed last night.

But, mandol is evocative in multiple contexts--whether pernicious, pathologic, or benign as the case may be..

delsbrother
Nov-12-2010, 1:09pm
The thought of rampaging mandoles is somewhat amusing.

Matt DeBlass
Nov-12-2010, 1:30pm
While we're at it, as an alternative to the utilitarian "mandolin player" or precise-sounding "mandolinist" I would like to suggest we label ourselves with the much more stately appellation of "mandoliniers."

Ray(T)
Nov-12-2010, 1:35pm
Personally, I would prefer "Mandochism" (similar to massochism) so you could become a "Mandochist".

Does any one understand the post by catmandu2?

catmandu2
Nov-12-2010, 1:38pm
Does any one understand the post by catmandu2?

No.

While we're at it, as an alternative to the utilitarian "mandolin player" or precise-sounding "mandolinist" I would like to suggest we label ourselves with the much more stately appellation of "mandoliniers."

So...not mandolt, then. But I think mandote could work. Or mandoters? Mandotees? Mandononados? (It's all so mandocious..)

Nelson Peddycoart
Nov-12-2010, 1:44pm
Mandolism, also known as mandolin dependence, is a disabling addictive disorder. It is characterized by compulsive and uncontrolled playing of instruments in the mandolin family, despite its negative effects on the players's health, relationships, and social standing. Like other addictions, mandolism is medically defined as a treatable disease.

In some cases, Mandolism suffers are known to also suffer from mbanzaphobia, also known as the fear of banjos.

catmandu2
Nov-12-2010, 1:50pm
Personally, I would prefer "Mandochism" (similar to massochism) so you could become a "Mandochist".

But otherwise, I can relate to your proposal.

Such as: I can still taste the triple sec this morning..

Still, I think I like mandoccultist, or mandoccultista, best.

barney 59
Nov-12-2010, 1:59pm
mandolism sounds like a religion to me. The practice of mandolotry

catmandu2
Nov-12-2010, 2:05pm
Let's get taxonomic-

mandoids, or mandonid, mandocids...extant during the Mandolithic period..

or ontologic..

In the beginning...there were mandozoa emerging from a vast soup of mandoplasm...and it was good. By the year 2111--if we still exist--society will evolve enough to finally eschew sexist instruments, and we will all be playing persondolins.

Mandoist
Nov-12-2010, 2:18pm
Mandolinguist

...covers a lot of territory.

catmandu2
Nov-12-2010, 2:28pm

More like, scrollatry..

..use it in a sentence?

...yea, and they were smote.

pickloser
Nov-12-2010, 2:34pm
Mandolinquent: one who engages in wanton acts of mandalism. Pac rim mandolinquent: one who engages in won ton acts of mandalism.

dogwood
Nov-12-2010, 3:46pm
...I'm enjoying this thread!

Mandogin a virgin mandolin (male?)
Mandocution the act of playing mandolin :mandosmiley:, or maybe death by mandolin
mandolette a small mandolin
mandology the study of mandolin

mandocrucian
Nov-12-2010, 3:48pm
manalinismo

(The following are pretty self-explanatory:)
Iroids
Preparation "I"

pinkyphobia

mouthvibrato

grassaholic

chopslop

NotJethro
Nov-12-2010, 5:42pm
this thread is getting a little mandiculous.

Mandolin Mick
Nov-12-2010, 6:17pm

Amen! ;)

John Soper
Nov-12-2010, 6:28pm
I was at a jam where several mandoholics were consuming mandohol in prodigious quantities... most had mandovers in the morning.

Mandolin Mick
Nov-12-2010, 6:46pm
:)):)):))

Aehle
Nov-12-2010, 7:48pm
The belief system of those who are mandocentric.

Ladyfingerpicker
Nov-12-2010, 7:53pm
Mandolint: the fuzz that accumulates when the sleeve of one's sweater snags on one's string ends.

catmandu2
Nov-12-2010, 8:00pm
Mandoblintz?

Such as: the gefilte fish was exquisite

Ladyfingerpicker
Nov-12-2010, 8:00pm
Pregnant women are routinely cautioned against playing the mandolin with their toes, so that their babies will not be born with feetal mandohol syndrome.

catmandu2
Nov-12-2010, 8:06pm
Mandofractal?

As in: "d'oh!, you ate my fractal, (man)"

aNHIFM0Y87c

Ladyfingerpicker
Nov-12-2010, 8:10pm
An Ebay seller who habitually attempts to pass off a made-in-China knockoff mandolin as an antique Martin is said to be mandacious.

Randi Gormley
Nov-12-2010, 9:14pm
Mandeloquent: those who play with soulfulness.

Mandoviol
Nov-12-2010, 11:54pm

Perhaps even "mandolinisters?" We are practitioners of "mandolinistry."

journeybear
Nov-13-2010, 8:55am
Someone say Mandolinquent?

paOq4VErOMI

LxtOp1c_SuM

I know - not quite as rascally as you expected. Still, a little irreverent ...

OldSausage
Nov-13-2010, 12:08pm
I think a mandolism is a musical quirk, or commonly used mandolin lick or technique. As in the phrase "I've recently been listening to a lot of John Duffey, and picked up a few of his mandolisms".