PDA

View Full Version : Happy Veterans' Day

rgray
Nov-11-2010, 7:05pm
Happy Veterans' Day to my fellow vets. I didn't really think about posting such until just now watching the NBC Evening News and a piece they did about an organization known as Guitars for Veterans (http://guitars4vets.org/). It truly was a heartwarming story hearing of vets whose lives have changed just learning to play music on the guitar.

MadMarine
Nov-11-2010, 7:29pm
Thanks to all that have served!!!

F-2 Dave
Nov-11-2010, 7:41pm
A heartfelt 'Thank You' to all men and women that have served in our armed forces. You guys are the best.

B. T. Walker
Nov-11-2010, 7:58pm
And a Happy Veterans' Day back at you, Bob. That was a really uplifting story. Thanks for sharing the link.

A pleasant Remembrance Day to our brethren in the British Commonwealth as well.

I spent the day explaining to my students that the really loud teacher who chewed out a student for misbehaving during "Taps" wasn't me, though I utilize "command voice" often enough. It became a teaching moment to touch on respectful behavior, the history of bugle calls in general and "Taps" in particular, and the terrible world war which ended on this date in 1918. I also showed them In Flanders Fields (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:In_Flanders_Fields_and_other_poems_page_3.png ) with its powerful imagery. Pretty light on my feet, I think.

mandroid
Nov-11-2010, 8:59pm
Only job I ever had to take, or be arrested . USN 66~69

Ed Goist
Nov-11-2010, 10:03pm
Thanks to all veterans, reserve and active duty military personnel. We all owe you folks so much.

Mandobart
Nov-12-2010, 6:24pm
As a vet (USN 1981 - 1990, USNR 1990 - 1996) I also want to thank fellow and esp. current vets for their service. To repeat something I posted on facebook, I was just too young to know any better (17) when I joined up. Makes you think, sometimes, most of the men and women serving today are barely old enough to vote, too young to legally drink, and yet they are out there on land, sea and air making decisions and sacrifices that would stop us older folks in our tracks.

I still have my old applause 6 string that I took to sea with me on the boat. Probably not too many guitars out there that are still playable after being several hundred feet below the surface.