PDA

View Full Version : Confessions of the Scroll

tburcham
Nov-10-2010, 11:55pm
Confessions of the Scroll

Café Faithful,

They say confession is good for the soul. Well folks, I’ve officially gone scroll-less. That’s right, I’m playing an A-style mandolin as my #1. A couple of months ago I purchased a 2009 Collings MT2v from Dennis at the Mandolin Store (Click here to see it (http://www.themandolinstore.com/scripts/prodView.asp?idProduct=9007)). A mint used model that was featured at the 2009 NAMM and was by his description “a Monster.” Having traded with Dennis a few times over the years, I’ve learned one thing about his listings…he rarely uses the term Monster, and when he does, it usually translates into a KILLER mandolin. My family now has two mandolins from Dennis that he awarded the “Monster” moniker: my Dad’s Gibson F-9 (Derrington Era) and this Collings MT2v. I can tell you that both of these mandolins are spectacular in volume and tone.

When I called Dennis to inquire about this Collings MT2v, he said “Tim this is a great mandolin, but you probably won’t like it because you’ll have to have a scroll.” Dennis knows I am a Bluegrass/Old Time (you purist forgive me lumping these two terms together) picker, so he was genuinely looking at my best interest with that comment. I told him I had been playing my 1942 Strad-O-Lin for the past few months with no apparent scroll backlash symptoms, so the deal proceeded. Wow, am I glad it did. To say this mandolin is special is an understatement. The many rave reviews posted here on the Café about the MT line of mandolins from Collings is a testament to their consistency and quality, but I was not prepared for how good these A-model mandolins can be (particularly the varnished models).

This MT2v is loud, dry, woody, and yet lyrical at the same time, i.e., it has beautiful tone with power (something I am just beginning to appreciate as my skills continue to be honed). The playability is excellent with a slight radius to the fretboard. I added a Bell ebony arm-rest (from the Café Classifieds) a couple of weeks ago and I think elevating the forearm off the mandolin top adds even more power and tone to the equation (and it certainly makes it more comfortable to play). I have had no mental or physical issues from the absence of the scroll, e.g., I don’t freak out when I look down and there’s no scroll and the balance of the instrument is good.

When combined with a Tone-guard on the rear, this mandolin can be downright scary!! Some mandolins have a good chop at certain places on the neck…this Collings has a thunderous chop anywhere on the neck…right down to the last fret! When you play this mandolin the entire mandolin resonates and produces a feeling in your chest that is nothing less than intoxicating. My best friend and picking partner emailed me after a Gig we did (no microphones) a couple of weeks ago and said he was going to stand on the other side of the group the next time we performed so he could hear himself play! ;)

Scroll-less in a Bluegrass setting...tell me it isn’t so. When you consume the many comments from builders (here on the Café) concerning the tone/volume difference between their F-style and A-style mandolins...they pretty much all say there is little to no difference! They will tell you there is a difference in price due the cost of construction for the F-style, but not many of the top builders will tell you there is an appreciable difference in sound. I don’t know about the tone/volume of other A-style makes, but I can tell you this Collings MT2v has a voice that is particularly suited to Bluegrass, as the depth of tone and power across the board (every string is Monster) allows the player to “command” the situation on any break, for any style, at any pace. It will CUT!

To date I haven’t experienced any snickers, sneers, eye rolling, etc., when I cut loose with the MT2v in a Jam. To the contrary, many work their way around the circle to see what is written on the headstock of this impressive mandolin.

Is Scroll-less for everybody? Probably not, but this mandolin has moved me to the side of the Café contingent who recommend that folks spend their money on the best A-style they can afford as they are progressing up the mandolin food chain.

Does this mean I'm gong to sell all the fine F-style mandolins I have carefully amassed...not a chance; but I've learned that power and tone don't emanate from the scroll!

This hurts a little, but move me over to the Collings bandwagon. There, I said it! :grin:

mandolirius
Nov-11-2010, 12:07am
It should have been obvious all along but congratulations anyway. One less scroll-nazi can only be a good thing. ;)

catmandu2
Nov-11-2010, 12:21am
Scroll-less...

Non-attachment is a beautiful thing.

hank
Nov-11-2010, 8:15am
Congratulations on your new Collins Tim. I like your description of it's merits. You use the same words I find myself using when I attempt to tell someone about what I believe to be a really good f hole instrument. "it has beautiful tone with power" When discussions come up about comparisons between f & oval designs this always comes to my mind first before the usual tonal differences. I've never played an oval hole that had this power we struggle to describe. I'm not sure if it exist and I just haven't been lucky enough to witness it or if it is a trade off of oval hole instruments in lue of sustain. I love the tone and sustain of a good oval but am spoiled by the power of my F5. Is this the same area folks talk about with the new F4 hybrids. Many seem to feel that their tone suffers from the neck configuration but I would sure like to get my hands on an oval with power. Sorry to meander from your topic of scrolls but the aperture configuration of a mandolin holds similar stigmas.

Randi Gormley
Nov-11-2010, 8:40am
Nice to see someone in love! Your post made me smile.
so, what kind of strings are on it and what pick are you using?

Fretbear
Nov-11-2010, 8:40am
Power, that's a good description of the F-hole sound. It has something to do with being able to drive it really hard, especially double stops, and have them push through, and not break up.
It still sounds beautiful, but not "pretty", like the difference between lace cloth and tooled leather....

Markus
Nov-11-2010, 9:50am
I don’t know about the tone/volume of other A-style makes, but I can tell you this Collings MT2v has a voice that is particularly suited to Bluegrass, as the depth of tone and power across the board (every string is Monster) allows the player to “command” the situation on any break, for any style, at any pace. It will CUT!

A local bluegrasser switched from F-styles to an A-style a few years back ... and his new A-style outclassed his prior F-mandos in an obvious fashion to my ear [and those were some great instruments].

It rings clear and true to the top frets, has all the power you'd dream of, and has a pure but complex sound [describing this is like describing great wine - if I had to explain, you wouldn't understand]. There is something dark I like that I hear in the bark of an F-style, but all the dark bark in the world is second to a perfect and complex tone.

It certainly removed my scroll envy, as I vastly prefer this mandolin's sound.

Now I'm left with Kimble envy.

tburcham
Nov-11-2010, 1:08pm
Nice to see someone in love! Your post made me smile.
so, what kind of strings are on it and what pick are you using?

Actually the strings are a mix right now. J75s for the E - D and a 0.40 G. I was afraid to go with the heavier G string with the action set as low as it is...which of course makes it play great. The pick is a Bluechip TAD 40 modified by me to include one radiused tip.

Mattg
Nov-11-2010, 5:34pm
I just did nearly the same thing. I bought a 1996 Flatiron A-5 Artist last weekend. It's much better than my well played, well broken in Eastman 615. It sounds nicer and plays better. I did my F thing now all I care about is tone and playability. I'll keep my Eastman and I still like it but it's now a backup.

catmandu2
Nov-11-2010, 5:54pm
I'll advocate for the clean aesthetic of the A. I have been attracted by the frilly scroll...and the Florentine volute is beautiful, of course. But it is ornate, ostentatious and perhaps even frivolous.

But lately I've been interested in the less-is-more approach, so I'm particularly biased. I've been putting all of my energies lately into a horn, and a drum.

Chip Booth
Nov-12-2010, 11:03am
You aren't scroll-less until you don't own one!

My small group of mandolins is and Ajr, 2 A5s, a ten string A style, and a jazz guitar shaped 4 string. We need no stinkin' scroll!

A good friend of mine just sold an F5 and another mandolin to own a single amazing sounding A model. I was very proud!

(Ok, I admit it, I have a Flatiron F5, but it lives at my girlfriend's house and is more or less "her" instrument. Does that make me a hypocrite? I like scrolls too...)

Jim Rowland
Nov-12-2010, 11:26am
Jody Stecher's Stan Miller "A" should belay most concerns about the style's efficacy as a BG instrument.
Jim

Paul Kotapish
Nov-12-2010, 11:36am
Jody Stecher's Stan Miller "A" should belay most concerns about the style's efficacy as a BG instrument.
Jim

Agreed. Or consider Tim O'Brien's killer Nugget A in the context of Hot Rize. Or Andy Statman's legendary snakehead oval-hole A2Z in any context.

Brent Hutto
Nov-12-2010, 2:26pm
(Ok, I admit it, I have a Flatiron F5, but it lives at my girlfriend's house and is more or less "her" instrument. Does that make me a hypocrite? I like scrolls too...)

Hey, you contain multitudes. S'ok.

Roger Kunkel
Nov-12-2010, 2:28pm
Quick! Somebody call the scroll police!!

Now, a Stan Miller A I'd trade my F for. I'm sure your Collings is the bomb as well. I used to have a MT and those are loud as heck.

Spencer
Nov-12-2010, 5:29pm
It doesn't have F-holes, but here is one scroll-less beauty that everybody has been drooling over lately. There are some great pictures near the end of the thread.

Restoration Challenge (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?54366-Mandolincafe-Restoration-Challenge)

Really beautiful in its simplicity, bet it sounds good too.

Spencer (former scroll owner ;))

Keith Erickson
Nov-12-2010, 6:44pm
WOW!!!!! That Collings is absolutely gorgious!!!!! Welcome to the wonderful world of A's :grin:

Jill McAuley
Nov-14-2010, 3:24am
I played an awesome Collings MT2-V today and it's definitely high up on my "things to covet" list...

Cheers,
Jill

Mandolin Mick
Nov-14-2010, 5:50am
For the Bluegrass sound, the important thing is the F holes, not the scroll ... :mandosmiley:

Steve Ostrander
Nov-14-2010, 10:59am
It actually can be very liberating when you shed the scroll:)

hank
Nov-14-2010, 1:38pm
If one can't afford a nice sounding mandolin with a scroll, the scroll seems more important than later in the game when you've had both and you find an A style with all the right stuff. The emphasis shifts from infatuation with the instrument itself and how it looks to the instruments power and response, it's ability to become an extension of the player. At this point a really good playing and sounding mandolin trumps a really gorgeous looking one. My thoughts are not to be free of the scroll any more than to have to have one. I think the real liberation comes from attraction to what the instrument can do over how it looks to you and others.

sgarrity
Nov-14-2010, 6:34pm
If one can't afford a nice sounding mandolin with a scroll, the scroll seems more important than later in the game when you've had both and you find an A style with all the right stuff. The emphasis shifts from infatuation with the instrument itself and how it looks to the instruments power and response, it's ability to become an extension of the player. At this point a really good playing and sounding mandolin trumps a really gorgeous looking one. My thoughts are not to be free of the scroll any more than to have to have one. I think the real liberation comes from attraction to what the instrument can do over how it looks to you and others.

Hank, that may be one of the best posts I've ever read on the 'cafe!

CTH Man
Nov-14-2010, 9:50pm
Welcome to the "A" Team.:)

billkilpatrick
Nov-15-2010, 12:16pm
scroll retentionist here - one morning you'll wake up and think "omg! ... whathaveidone!?" - prepare - seek counselling - now.

hank
Nov-15-2010, 12:34pm
I must be a bimandolinal.

fatt-dad
Nov-15-2010, 12:48pm
maybe when I'm a better picker, I'll get a mandolin with a scroll. Meanwhile, I'll enjoy life with my Flatiron, my other Flatiron and my Gibson - two A's and one pancake.

I just really love the understated simplicity of an arched-top f-hole A-model and am resolved to be never tempted by a scroll again - well unless I get really good 'cause folks will expect me to have a real mandolin then. . .

f-d

catmandu2
Nov-15-2010, 1:39pm
Ah, a pragmatist!