PDA

View Full Version : Graham McDonald meet up in Philly.

JEStanek
Nov-07-2010, 10:32pm
Otterly2K and I had the pleasure of meeting up with Graham as he continues his cross country visit (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?66147-LA-Greham-McDonald-Meet-and-Greet-10-16&highlight=mcdonald) while he was in Philadelphia this past Friday. He brought his two pointer (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?66131-New-2-point-mandolin) (better true color photos of his mandolin in that thread) and I brought my Brian Dean two pointer and Karen brought her Brian Dean OM.

We had a nice chat and I really enjoyed playing and looking his mandolin over. The tiger myrtle back is very attractive and the mandolin has a great action and a very nice warm voice. It's always great fun to meet the talented people who build and work on stringed instruments. I particularly enjoyed being a fly on the wall as Karen and Graham discussed building and repair work. Here are some photos from the evening... not the best light or use of flash I'm afraid but hopefully you'll get the gist...

Jamie
Graham with my Labraid, Karen with the McDonald two pointer, two shots of his soundhole and points, and Graham inspecting Karen's OM's armrest.

JEStanek
Nov-07-2010, 10:35pm
Last two of the Mcdonald (l), and LaBraid (r) L&H Style mandolins as variations on a theme.

Jamie

MandoNicity
Nov-07-2010, 11:23pm
Awsome! Must have been a real treat to meet up. Lovely instruments!

JR

Jim Garber
Nov-08-2010, 9:24am
Graham and I met up yesterday around here (northern Westchester NY) and had a nice but hectic time. Caught a concert at our local library with Mark Levesque (Cafe contributor) and Judy Handler. Then we had dinner at a friend's house to discuss mandolins and, in specific a few Emberghers to look at.

otterly2k
Nov-08-2010, 11:14am
It was a real pleasure hanging with Graham and Jamie. Graham's L+H is a thing of beauty to behold and to play... crystal clear, nice projection, excellent action. Very interesting to a/b with Jamie's Labraid L+H... both gorgeous, very different voices.
SO glad to be part of Graham's xcountry tour... I enjoyed his stories and advice very much!
Thanks, Jamie, for making it happen.

Eddie Sheehy
Nov-08-2010, 12:28pm
Great to hear Graham is still sojourning around the USA, he must be knackered by now...

Jim Garber
Nov-08-2010, 12:36pm
He seemed in good spirits and energy and was heading out to visit various New York instrument venues.

Graham McDonald
Nov-08-2010, 4:22pm
Thanks for organizing Friday night. I was a delight to meet you and Karen. Now in NYC with a couple of meetings tomorrow and then back to the left hand side of the country on Wednesday and then home Friday. I have met lots of delightful people and seen loads of wonderful mandolins, which was the object of the trip. Still it will be good to be back home on Sunday. And I'm open to offers to avoid taking the mandolin home :)

cheers

graham

Joe Mendel
Nov-08-2010, 5:40pm
Hey Graham, Next time stop in th emiddle of the country, too. Nice looking two pointer.

Clement Barrera-Ng
Nov-08-2010, 11:11pm
Have a safe trip home Graham, and it was a great pleasure meeting you while you were in Los Angeles. Been really enjoying your Mandolin Project book, and I can't wait for the next one to come out.