PDA

View Full Version : Lakota Leathers - Of interest to UK / non US Members

Paul Haley
Nov-06-2010, 3:22pm
I just thought that I would give a plug for Kenny at Lakota leathers. For those of us in the UK a transatlantic purchase can prove daunting. However, I ordered a mandolin strap via PayPal on the 28th of October and it is now gracing my pride and joy (not the present Mrs Haley I hasten to add) in the North East of Scotland on November 5th. The service was both prompt and helpful. The strap is beautifully made of the softest Elk hide. I am a very satisifed customer.

Mike Bunting
Nov-06-2010, 4:05pm
Just wanted to add my props to the folks at Lakota for their quality and service. I've had a custom mando strap for a year or so and it's the best. The service was great and the money goes to a good cause.
I'm not sure why trans-Atlantic shopping should be so daunting to you, I bought my Pegausus from Sam Gifford, down the road from you in Pitlochry, and the transaction was fine. Is it different going the other way?

Paul Haley
Nov-06-2010, 4:25pm
If something does go amiss with a transaction it's preferable for the transactors to be subject to the same legal system. That doesn't mean that I don't transact long distance business it just adds another layer of complexity and uncertainty. Given that I live on a small island and you inhabit a huge continent our perceptions of risk with regard to long distance transactions may differ considerably as a consequence. The purpose of my posting was to reassure potential purchasers who may be as parochial as I. It was not intended to be an adverse reflection on the honesty and probity of North Americans.

Mike Bunting
Nov-06-2010, 4:46pm
[QUOTE=Paul Haley;855354I. It was not intended to be an adverse reflection on the honesty and probity of North Americans.[/QUOTE]

Not to worry, it was not taken that way at all. I was just curious, having made a couple of purchases from that part of the world (Europe) without incident.

Jill McAuley
Nov-07-2010, 11:28am
They are indeed lovely straps - I was in a music shop yesterday that stocks them (Gryphon in Palo Alto in case any Bay Area folk are reading) and the Lakota straps look pure quality, and as Paul already mentioned, made from very soft elk hide. The shop only had straps for F-style mandolins in stock, otherwise I would've definitely picked one up - I'll just have to order one from the Lakota website sometime soon.

Cheers,
Jill

Ron McMillan
Nov-07-2010, 4:14pm
I'm sure the Lakota straps are beautiful, but lately I have been exploring making my own, from leather hides bought cheaply and even from old braided leather belts. It's a lot of fun and very satisfying to end up with a functional strap that also manages to look good. Braiding tutorials are easily found on YouTube, and apart from leather, all you need is a good straight edge, a sharp modelling knife and a couple of hole punches.

rm6454464545

Ray(T)
Nov-11-2010, 8:49am
..... I bought my Pegausus from Sam Gifford, down the road from you in Pitlochry, and the transaction was fine. Is it different going the other way?

I have no problem with ordering from the US - it takes a little longer but its no worse than ordering from the other end of the UK. The main problem is Tax, Duty and shipping. With small items, the shipping costs can make it uneconomic so its worthwhile ordering several items at a time. The problem then is that, if you order several items, their value can go over the limit at which the tax authorities start to charge (i.e. anything over £18 its +20%) then there's the commission the shipment company charges to collect the tax. Some people say that they always get away with it but I never have. Anything I've ever ordered over £18 has come with a tax bill.

How much are their straps Paul?

Paul Haley
Oct-25-2013, 11:20am
Abject apologies for the lack of reply. I just didn't see the post. Have just bought an A style for $58 including postage.

Ray(T)
Oct-25-2013, 12:34pm
It'll be interesting to see what the taxman makes of it + what our wonderful newly privatised postal service charges you for collecting it.

As for me, a stall on the local market (Bakewell) cuts me lengths of leather for around £7 a throw and I put my own holes in them.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-26-2013, 3:11am
Hi Ray - We've had this discussion a number of times. I never paid any duty/tax etc.on the strings i used to buy from Janet Davis Music until my last order. US postal charges have virtually doubled & as that cost is part of the 'total price',it pushed my allowance over the £15 UK import allowance. I had to pay tax & also fork out £8 'handling charge' to the Post Office simply because they kept it on a shelf for a couple of days. I now buy my strings from 'Stringbusters' UK. They're a bit more expensive, but if i order one day,the strings have always arrived the next day & because i don't pay the PO's £8,the overall cost is cheaper,
Ivan
From HM Revenue & Customs :- If you order or send purchased goods other than alcohol, tobacco, perfume and toilet water from a country outside the EU then you will have to pay import VAT on goods with a value that exceeds £15

mandrian
Oct-26-2013, 6:20am
Hi,

There is a place in Scotland, Rothesay Music, that sells the Lakota straps. They sell on Ebay. At least you know what you're paying up front.

Regards

Ray(T)
Oct-26-2013, 10:01am
Hi Ray - We've had this discussion a number of times. I never paid any duty/tax etc.on the strings i used to buy from Janet Davis Music until my last order. US postal charges have virtually doubled & as that cost is part of the 'total price',it pushed my allowance over the £15 UK import allowance. I had to pay tax & also fork out £8 'handling charge' to the Post Office simply because they kept it on a shelf for a couple of days. I now buy my strings from 'Stringbusters' UK. They're a bit more expensive, but if i order one day,the strings have always arrived the next day & because i don't pay the PO's £8,the overall cost is cheaper,
Ivan
From HM Revenue & Customs :- If you order or send purchased goods other than alcohol, tobacco, perfume and toilet water from a country outside the EU then you will have to pay import VAT on goods with a value that exceeds £15

......and as I've always said previously, you've been lucky not to have been charged. It used to be £18 but maybe they've changed things and the post office fee is presumably for collecting the VAT rather than storing the goods.

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-27-2013, 3:34am
Ray - You could be correct re.the reason for the PO 'handling fee'. However, if the PO do pay the VAT,which does seem likely,then they should at least provide you with the Customs receipt as proof of payment. Mandrian - many thanks for the heads up on the Lakota strap outlet up in Scotland,
Ivan

noah finn
Oct-27-2013, 10:20am
I also bought my lakota strap from Rothesay Music, through their ebay store. I found them excellent and the postage to Ireland was very reasonable.