PDA

View Full Version : Is this design brilliant or what?

empire
Nov-05-2010, 2:08am
:)

http://cgi.ebay.com/FLORAL-INLAY-DOUBLE-NECKS-MANDOLIN-HANDWORK-MD3320-/350410701625?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item51961afb39

Ivan Kelsall
Nov-05-2010, 2:25am
Nope !. From the available pictures & the $99.0 price tag,it's a highly decorated piece of firewood, (IMHO),
Ivan

Dave Hanson
Nov-05-2010, 2:58am
Brilliant ? nah it's not even shiny.

Dave H

billkilpatrick
Nov-05-2010, 3:16am
... i gotta' go lay down.

Rick Cadger
Nov-05-2010, 4:22am
Empire, If you mean the combination of mandolin/mandola then, yes, quite a neat idea for a stage gimmick perhaps. Certainly playing a double neck instrument never did Jimmy Page's career to much harm ;). Not for me though: I'd rather have one of each than the conjoined option.

If you mean the decorative nature of the instrument... Well, there is a history of scepticism on the cafe re. these highly inlaid imports. A few of them can be reworked into actually very reasonable instruments. Many of them cannot, or at least not without so much work that most may question the worth of the effort.

Personally, elaborate inlay is not to my preference. I even find the Kentucky KM-855 with its (comparatively modest) fretboard and headstock inlay to be unpalatably gaudy.

MikeEdgerton
Nov-05-2010, 7:58am
Me thinks the OP had his tongue planted in his cheek.

This isn't new, these have been on eekBay before.

Denny Gies
Nov-05-2010, 8:15am
Or what gets my vote.

Matt DeBlass
Nov-05-2010, 8:32am
I like the fact that it combines mandola and mandolin necks on one instrument rather than just adding a fifth course, it's a bit like buying a car that can be converted from a sedan to a van rather than just buying a station wagon. ;)

Markus
Nov-05-2010, 8:39am
I've paid more for things to hang on my wall, so if that's what it's meant for it's not wildly expensive for a piece of art.

Then again, it doesn't fit my aesthetic - and I've already got a functional fiddle, mando, and guitar hanging on my wall.

I prefer instruments that actually work.

mandocrucian
Nov-05-2010, 8:48am
warning about Antonio Tsai guitars! (http://www.jsguitarforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=523190)

David Newton
Nov-05-2010, 8:51am
The bid is up to $2.25

MikeEdgerton
Nov-05-2010, 9:21am
warning about Antonio Tsai guitars! (http://www.jsguitarforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=523190)

I don't see much there that isn't common knowledge here. I do some wrong information there. They are built in Vietnam not China.

All threads that contain inlaidartist (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=inlaidartist&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=0&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process)

All threads that contain tsai (http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/search.php?query=tsai&exactname=0&starteronly=0&forumchoice%5B%5D=&prefixchoice%5B%5D=&childforums=1&titleonly=0&searchdate=0&beforeafter=after&do=process)

red7flag
Nov-05-2010, 9:30am
Or what!

Rob Fowler
Nov-05-2010, 9:40am
He's not even an instrument luthier. He's an intrusment luthier and inlaird artist, according to his ebay ad......

dobro2407
Nov-05-2010, 10:07am
My friend bought an AntonioTsai and to be honest it plays like a work of art. It's an uncomfortable play and he hasn't really used it too often since acquiring it. I think he's just too stubborn to admit his mistake. AntonioTsai is a maker to be avoided although you do get more flash for your cash. I reckon they'll fall to bits before they mature.

empire
Nov-05-2010, 10:54am
I'm open to innovative designs...and this really caught my eye. Why? Simply cos there isnt another design like it! Whether or not it sounds good...I dont know. If it sounds really good....hey...why not buy it? Then again..there's no way of knowing unless I know an actual person who owns it.

mrmando
Nov-05-2010, 11:28am
I'm open to innovative designs...and this really caught my eye. Why? Simply cos there isnt another design like it!
I wouldn't be too certain of that if I were you.
http://www.emando.com/images/builders/Manson/Manson_Lief_Sorbye_double.jpg

allenhopkins
Nov-05-2010, 11:47am
Covering old ground. The Bruce Wei and Antonio Tsai instruments -- built in Vietnam, sold through Taiwan -- have been discussed extensively on the Cafe. They're ubiquitous on eBay, and they're often unusual, highly decorated, and inexpensive.

But -- you don't get much discussion from mandolinists who play them seriously on a long-term basis. To me, that's the key missing variable. I don't read many posts from Cafe members who have one of these as a primary instrument.

Ed Goist
Nov-05-2010, 12:09pm
...snip...
But -- you don't get much discussion from mandolinists who play them seriously on a long-term basis. To me, that's the key missing variable. I don't read many posts from Cafe members who have one of these as a primary instrument.

There may be a lesson to be learned here...
Which of these mandolins has the better playability and sounds better?

64471 64472

A pig wearing lip stick is still a pig.

MikeEdgerton
Nov-05-2010, 12:41pm
Actually, Paul Hostetter has a lot of experience with some of these instruments and has some kind words for them. It's not for all of them though. Anybody that has been on the cafe for more than a year or so should be familiar with these, they have been discussed often. The one I had in my hands wasn't anything to write home about.

empire
Nov-05-2010, 10:46pm
Covering old ground. The Bruce Wei and Antonio Tsai instruments -- built in Vietnam, sold through Taiwan -- have been discussed extensively on the Cafe. They're ubiquitous on eBay, and they're often unusual, highly decorated, and inexpensive.

Allan has a good point. How DO we know how good the Mandolin is unless there IS someone who owns one of these?

empire
Nov-05-2010, 10:48pm

Allan has a good point. How DO we know how good the Mandolin is unless there IS someone who owns one of these? By 'discussing' and drawing a conclusion solely by looking at photos is like looking at a girl and concluding "She's not a good singer" without hearing her sing.

Bill Snyder
Nov-05-2010, 11:11pm
empire, read the old threads. There have been several posts in past from purchasers of these instruments - few if any good things said about them. Paul H. has said that he has worked on some of them that could be made into playable instruments, but they tend to be made of green wood (not seasoned) and frequently crack, buzz, warp, etc...
Buy it, play it, keep it a while. Who knows, they may actually start to build a passable instrument someday and you may be one of the first to get what turns out to be a real bargain. I will not be holding my breath though.

TomHart
Nov-13-2010, 12:03pm
I'm the lucky bidder. Alcohol and Ebay don't mix. Hope my low expectations are exceeded.
I'll let you know how bad it is.

empire
Nov-13-2010, 12:32pm
I'm the lucky bidder. Alcohol and Ebay don't mix. Hope my low expectations are exceeded.

TomHart..I hope that you will be pleasantly surprised once it arrives.

allenhopkins
Nov-14-2010, 12:14am
Alcohol and eBay don't mix.

Should be on a t-shirt and/or bumper sticker. Amen.

TomHart
Nov-23-2010, 5:47pm
Doubleneck arrived on 11/19. Very pleased considering the cheap price. Tuners are better than the Bruce Wei banjolin I got a couple of years ago.
I don't have a mandola so this neck is getting the majority of attention. Sounds good so I've decided to postpone restringing for a few weeks.
Will have to wait and see what effect an OH winter, dry house will have on it.
Someday forum readers I'll buy an instrument I'm proud of, till then I'll have to enjoy noodling aroung with my Sigma, banjolin, doubleneck and Paul Smith A style. Actually, Paul Smith is my father in law and I'm very proud that he gave me the only mandolin he ever made.

empire
Nov-23-2010, 10:32pm
Tomhart...congrats on you new toy. You said it sounds good? Is it loud?

Paul Hostetter
Nov-24-2010, 8:10pm

I read through this, how sad. It's so full of misinformation and such unmitigated and unfounded nastiness. It's not a warning, just a bunch of ugliness. Why spread it?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not holding up the Vietnamese instruments as examples of great lutherie—their price point tells you all you really need to know. But smearing them with such dishonest drivel is really uncalled for.

MandoNicity
Nov-24-2010, 8:32pm

"Alcohol and Ebay don't mix". Amen!!!!

;)

JR

TomHart
Nov-24-2010, 8:51pm
Yep, it's loud. Happy Thanksgiving.

empire
Nov-24-2010, 11:43pm
Yep, it's loud. Happy Thanksgiving.

Maybe you can explain more how the tone, feel, action, response, projection are? Since you are the only one I know who has this unique instrument.

John Flynn
Nov-25-2010, 5:23am
This seems apropos:

Dobe
Nov-25-2010, 11:54am
Hundred bucks ?!, you could spend that on one or two nice meals out; plus it plays & sounds O.K (for now). It's only money (and really not that much) I say good deal !!, even if it winds up on the wall in a couple years.

empire
Nov-26-2010, 12:08am
Dobe...I wonder if you have heard this instrument in person? If you have not, why the unnecessary comment?

TomHart
Nov-26-2010, 9:40pm
Tone is good, though I expect it to change for the better once I restring it. I really can't confidently use words like bark or chop like some of the forum readers. I play to entertain myself and I'm easily entertained.
Action is very good, no buzzing frets.
It projects from one end of my living room to the other side. That's all I ask.
And yes Dobe, for a hundred bucks (plus $110 shipping) this is well worth the money. A gaudy, frivolous purchase.
Someday, when money is no object I'll get a Gibson.