PDA

View Full Version : Need a John the Baptiser song for Advent Service Dec. 12th

Steve Roberts
Nov-02-2010, 10:56am
The Under Construction Bluegrass band is playing an Advent service on December 12th at Trinity Cathedral in Cleveland. That is John the Baptist Sunday, and we would like to find a good gospel or bluegrass tune to do in his honor. Walking in Jerusalem Just Like John is a better Pentacost song. That is the only one I could think of last night.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Steve Roberts

Jim M.
Nov-02-2010, 11:11am
Lonesome Valley, which was done by the Carter Family, might fit your occasion.

Nelson Peddycoart
Nov-02-2010, 11:19am
I would think any baptism song might work. Down to the River To Pray, Baptize me in the Cumberland River...

Steve Roberts
Nov-02-2010, 1:40pm
I would think any baptism song might work. Down to the River To Pray, Baptize me in the Cumberland River...

The church is not doing baptisms that Sunday, just celebrating the birth of John the Baptiser. These songs are more appropriate for a day when there are real live baptisms. More suggestions welcomed. Thanks!

MikeEdgerton
Nov-02-2010, 2:41pm
Walking in Jerusalem just like John... might be the wrong John but who cares?

The only other song I can think of with John the Baptist in it is Patrick Sky's Separation Blues and that probably wouldn't fit the occasion.

Eddie Sheehy
Nov-02-2010, 3:45pm
The Donut Man has a cool song - His Name Will Be John...

allenhopkins
Nov-03-2010, 1:30am
Louvin Brothers' River of Jordan? First verse is about John baptizing Jesus:

2W4-UfQasSs

mrmando
Nov-03-2010, 2:28am
"Jordan" - Thomas Goodlunas & Panacea
"Sho Nuff" - from Cotton Patch Gospel by Harry Chapin

Martian
Nov-03-2010, 8:37am
Is this the Under consruction band from MI? Just wondered if there were two. There can't be two Tim's

Steve Roberts
Nov-03-2010, 10:11am
Is this the Under consruction band from MI? Just wondered if there were two. There can't be two Tim's

No, we are from Cleveland. Band got its name when the church was "under construction" for what seemed like years.

Matt Hutchinson
Nov-03-2010, 10:36am
How about 'Get Up John' (as recorded by Emmylou Harris on 'At the Ryman')?

Nelson Peddycoart
Nov-03-2010, 10:37am
Look here:

http://gardenofpraise.com/bibsong33.htm

mrmando
Nov-03-2010, 7:24pm
How about a banjo-driven version of "Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord" from Godspell?
Or "The Ballad of the Night the Clocks All Quit (and the Government Failed)" by Tonio K.? (OK, a long shot, but it does mention J. the B.)

MikeEdgerton
Nov-03-2010, 10:02pm
Tie that one with my Patrick Sky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFDKo0Tu2DU) song and he could probably get himself excommunicated.

Steve Roberts
Nov-03-2010, 10:19pm
Hey thanks to everyone for the suggestions, and if you have any other ideas please let me know. The River of Jordan by the Louvin Brothers and Get Up John are currently the two leading candidates, but we are still trying things out.

Thanks again- you all are a great resource!

Steve Roberts
Nov-03-2010, 10:23pm
How about a banjo-driven version of "Prepare Ye the Way of the Lord" from Godspell?
Or "The Ballad of the Night the Clocks All Quit (and the Government Failed)" by Tonio K.? (OK, a long shot, but it does mention J. the B.)

The service is only an hour long- if we did the Ballad of the Night the Clocks All Quit there wouldn't be time to pass the collection basket.

Steve Roberts
Nov-03-2010, 10:24pm
Tie that one with my Patrick Sky (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tFDKo0Tu2DU) song and he could probably get himself excommunicated.

Hell, we don't excommunicate- it's too damn messy.

John Ritchhart
Nov-14-2010, 9:46pm
Go Tell John.

Steve Roberts
Nov-15-2010, 9:36pm
Go Tell John.

Hmm, that one looks interesting. We are hard at work on Get Up John, but will keep this one in reserve in case that doesn't work.

Thanks for the suggestion. I used to live in Mars Hill, but that was a long time ago. Beautiful place.

D C Blood
Nov-15-2010, 9:57pm
There's "John The Revalator", but I think that's the wrong John...Too many of 'em to keep track...Great song though...

John Ritchhart
Nov-16-2010, 12:58pm
That's funny, I used to live in Cleveland.

swampstomper
Nov-16-2010, 2:51pm
Somehow I don't think "Get Up John" = "Sleepy-eyed John" referred to the Baptist! This John is "trying to get to heaven before the devil gets you", hardly a description which applies to the original JtB.

"Walking in Jerusalem" refers to John the Revelator (writing the Book of Revelations over on Patmos Island) and his visions.

I can't think of any bluegrass gospel that has been written about the Baptist, and he's a great character. I'm inspired to try. Great lines to incorporate in a song -- how about "Brood of vipers! Who warned you to fly from the retribution that is coming?" (Mt 3:8), "God can raise children of Abraham from these stones!" (Mt 3:9) and many more. And of course he ends up with his head displayed on a silver platter as Salome tricks King Herod into granting her wish after the daughter has danced for him. Get to it songsmiths!

Steve Roberts
Nov-16-2010, 4:50pm
Somehow I don't think "Get Up John" = "Sleepy-eyed John" referred to the Baptist! This John is "trying to get to heaven before the devil gets you", hardly a description which applies to the original JtB.

"Walking in Jerusalem" refers to John the Revelator (writing the Book of Revelations over on Patmos Island) and his visions.

I can't think of any bluegrass gospel that has been written about the Baptist, and he's a great character. I'm inspired to try. Great lines to incorporate in a song -- how about "Brood of vipers! Who warned you to fly from the retribution that is coming?" (Mt 3:8), "God can raise children of Abraham from these stones!" (Mt 3:9) and many more. And of course he ends up with his head displayed on a silver platter as Salome tricks King Herod into granting her wish after the daughter has danced for him. Get to it songsmiths!

You are right about WSM's fiddle tune, but check out these words that Marty Stuart and Jerry Sullivan added-

Get Up John (Bill Monroe/Marty Stuart/Jerry Sullivan)

Well get up John go down to Jordan
Get up John prepare the way
Man from Galilee is waiting
You must meet him there today

Get up John go tell my people
This will be a Holy day
Tell them of the Jew that's waiting
That the Saviors on the way

John - Even the children
John - Go Unafraid
John - I'll go with you
John The Baptist
This is the day

Well get up John go tell Jerusalem
Savior's waiting on the shore
Baptize Him in the River Jordan
I'll send a dove from Heaven's door

John - Even the children
John - Go Unafraid
John - I'll go with you
John The Baptist
This is the day

Well get up John your work is finished
Daylight breaks the soldiers come
You will die for me tomorrow
Welcome home your race is run

John - You've been chosen
John - Go Unafraid
John - I'll go with you
John The Baptist
This is the day

A great song for John the Baptiser Sunday in Advent. But don't let me slow down your songwriting...

swampstomper
Nov-17-2010, 12:51am
Hey, thanks for that!! I should have trusted those Mississippi gospel musicians to come up with something like this! (I've always loved to listen to the Sullivan Family, and Marty played with them as a youth of course.) I've added it to my songbook, gives me even more motivation to write an "angry John the Baptist" song.

HddnKat
Nov-27-2010, 11:37pm
The third verse of "on the wings of a dove' mentions Jesus going to John to be baptized