PDA

View Full Version : Mandobird hardcase

M. Hollen
Oct-15-2004, 8:10am
Does anyone have any ideas or am I reduced to refitting an old mando case? http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

mrmando
Oct-15-2004, 12:26pm
Well --

Take a tracing of the Bird. Send it to Peter Mix and see if it'll fit one of the new Rigel tweed cases.

There's a dealer in New York who had a Rickenbacker e-mando stolen, so they have a new Rick case with nothing to put in it. I sent them a tracing of my Bacorn to see if it'll fit. If that doesn't work, I'll send you their address.

delsbrother
Oct-15-2004, 2:49pm
This is what I had envisioned my repainted Mandobird would look like, in a rectangular case (sorry for the crude MS Paint image):

It even has space for my Johnny Winter wig! I have a problem with spending a lot of $$ on a case for a $200 mando, though.

I kinda lost interest in refinishing the 'Bird when I purchased a cream mini-Mosrite guitar. Anyone know where I could get gold mini-humbuckers for a mandolin? If it were possible and not outrageously expensive I might be inspired to try doing that again.

Anyway, now I'm looking for something more in the faux-leopard or alligator vein. I found some likely candidates in an old luggage store, but they'd need a little more padding to be really protective (like the gigbag is any protection..).

delsbrother
Oct-15-2004, 2:54pm
Let's try that again.

Baron Collins-Hill
Oct-18-2004, 11:18am
well, heres what i did for my fender:

mrmando
Oct-18-2004, 12:00pm
May she rest in peace... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Ted Eschliman
Oct-18-2004, 12:08pm
The Mandobird WILL fit in a standard Rigel tweed (rectangular) case. I tried it on mine.
Since it's not as deep, it helps to put a square of foam 1-1/2" thick, or a small cushion under the body, but the critical neck proportions are correct.
I guess the Johnny Winter wig would work also, though it might scratch the finish. It would be fun to take the combination through airport security...

M. Hollen
Oct-18-2004, 12:20pm
Everyone, thanks for all the input. PhishPhan, that's a pretty sweet job you did on that case. Mandohack, thanks for the info re the Rigel case. I've got a 4 year old running loose in the house and the wife will only let me keep him caged for so long, so pretty much everything I own has to go in a hardcase.:p

mrmando
Oct-19-2004, 1:26pm
Hey folks, that Rickenbacker case I mentioned earlier is still available. It won't fit my Bacorn. Send me a PM if you're interested and I'll dig up the shop's address for you.

mandroid
Nov-07-2004, 4:56pm
an electric guitar / bass case with a mongo padding insert, plus room to add wheels a handle and a bracket to turn it into a 'fridge dolly.. then you can use it to wheel the amp in too.. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

John Rosett
Nov-10-2004, 4:20pm
i went through the same thing with a lap steel. check out shotgun cases at your local gun store. sometimes you can find one that is just right.
what i did was look through the local junk stores and pawn shops until a found a rectangular case that once housed god knows what. i glued a 1" piece of foam rubber in the top and in the bottom. i than laid the steel on a 2' piece of foam and traced it. once i had it cut like i wanted, i glued it to the bottom piece of foam in the case. then i glued fabric to the entire thing. it helps to put the instrument in while the glue is drying, so it conforms to the cut out shape. i used spray adhesive for everything. i'm not great at projects like this, but it came out really nice. good luck, john