PDA

View Full Version : Anybody going to Merlefest this year?

squeally dan
Oct-15-2004, 7:40am
Just curious if anyone is going. I've been the last 2 years and it was great! The line-up this year looks good:

Check it out:

www.merlefest.org

Tom C
Oct-15-2004, 7:43am
.....No one's noticed but the band's all packed and gone.
Next year?

squeally dan
Oct-15-2004, 8:39am
If you click on the link for 2005 artists, it tells who is playing the upcoming festival (2005).

DaveO
Oct-15-2004, 7:50pm
Sometimes I wonder where my head is. My brother lives 20 minutes from where they hold Merlefest and I have never gone. 2005 will be my year.

squeally dan
Oct-16-2004, 11:55am
I think you will love it! Lots of big names this year. I usually enjoy the bands I've never heard before more than the big name folks. I noticed Rick Skaggs is coming this year, and Sam will be there like always.

Tim Saxton
Oct-16-2004, 1:37pm
I will be there again 4th year in a row.

Tim

DaveO
Oct-16-2004, 4:23pm
Since I have never been, is it better to have reserved seats? Are there usually alot of vendors there? I want to try out all the new stuff and unusual things. Thanks.

Jeff A
Oct-16-2004, 5:13pm
Merlefest is a great festival with a great lineup every year. I have reserved seats in the 13th row in the center and have enjoyed them for many years. That said,I don't think you really need them as there are many other stages where you can get much closer to the artists.

All the big boys are there in the vendor tent - Gibson,Collings,Weber,etc, but I have never seen much from the well known smaller luthiers.

I have always come away from Merlefest excited about the bands I have never heard of. Last year it was Old Crow Medicine Show. Great live act.

squeally dan
Oct-16-2004, 10:04pm
I loved Old Crow Medicine Show. They are awesome!!!! I also enjoyed The Avett Brothers & the Reeltime Travelers. This year its The Waybacks I am looking forward to seeing.

Jeff A
Oct-17-2004, 9:57am
Waybacks are terrific.Fun and incredibly proficent musicians. Darol Anger has been sitting in since the departure of Chojo Jacques. Don't know if its for the long run. James Nash is one of the best guitar players out there IMHO. First saw them was at the Red Light Cafe in Atlanta where the bass player did the first set in a gorilla mask.:D

squeally dan
Oct-17-2004, 2:31pm
Are they just as good without Chojo?

Jeff A
Oct-17-2004, 6:55pm
I haven't heard them since the change, a friend saw them at Hardly Strictly Bluegrass in SFa few weeks ago and said they were great.