PDA

View Full Version : Unusual Morning

Feb-14-2004, 9:40am
Rather unusual down here anyway.....

Jon Hall
Feb-14-2004, 9:50am
Dale, how much snow has accumulated? No snow in Nacogdoches yet. We must be south of the snow line.

Are any mando cafe visitors going to hear Robin and Linda Williams(w. Jimmy Gaudreau) tonight in Crockett ata the Camp St. Cafe?

JGWoods
Feb-14-2004, 10:02am
Hell freezing over?
gw

John Flynn
Feb-14-2004, 10:12am
I'll bet the driving is humorous when it isn't tragic. I have been in some warmer climes before when they have had their first snowfall in long, long while. It becomes obvious that many drivers never developed that "snow driving mode" that northerners take for granted. People just slide right past stop signs, into the intersection, with thier brakes locked up, one after another!

Scotti Adams
Feb-14-2004, 10:38am
..haha...werent we just talking about this recently?....hey Brother....I missed you in Nashsilly..... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

Feb-14-2004, 10:41am
Jon, about 4"....& still snowing.

JG, LOL!........

levin4now
Feb-14-2004, 10:43am
They do the same thing in NC when it snows. But even the northerners screw up b/c they at least are used to some salt and sand on the roads which they fail to put out here! (at least in the rural areas).

My wife has had more snow days as a teacher down here than she ever did up in Massachusetts!

Drive safe Dale. Better yet. Pick.

What's a good song for Dale to work on today? Anyone?

..Footprints in the Snow.. for starters..

John Flynn
Feb-14-2004, 11:00am
What's a good song for Dale to work on today?

"Cold Frosty Morning," of course!

John Flynn
Feb-14-2004, 11:17am
Or how about pluggin' that Rigel into an effects pedal and an amp and doing "Immigrant Song" by Zepplin:

(DUN-dada-dadun, DUN-dada-dadun)

AHEaaah, ah. AHEeaaah, ah.

We come from the land of the ice and snow,
From the midnight sun where the hot springs blow.

(DUN-dada-dadun, DUN-dada-dadun)

elenbrandt
Feb-14-2004, 12:07pm
How about "Your Cold, Cold Heart"? Nah, Dale is just too much of a softie to live that tune.

Hey Dale -- new Carlin joke..."What's so good about all the executions in Texas? Fewer Texans" (yes, I am ducking as I post....) love, e

Bowzette
Feb-14-2004, 12:21pm
Hi Dale and Jon

No snow in Huntsville

Jon, my wife and I play to go to Camp St unless the weather get bad. I'm short, 58, wear glasses(only if i want to see) and will be drooling when Jimmy plays! say hi if you make it,

Ellen, i'm "impatiently" waiting for the Brentrup. The realization that it will be in my hot little hands in a month or so is begining to sink in.

Bowzette
Feb-14-2004, 12:24pm
Ellllllllllllllen. make that one "l"-sorry.

Tibby
Feb-14-2004, 1:35pm
There was Snow in Jacksonville as I was coming back from Tyler yesterday. I didn't think it would reach this far East!

french
Feb-14-2004, 1:43pm
same weird thing's happening in southern europe (turkey and greece). #here's are some pictures from crete:

http://www.west-crete.com/crete-daily-photo.htm

jlb
Feb-14-2004, 2:28pm
hhmm....snow in Texas.

Better keep my W jokes to myself.

mandocrustacean
Feb-14-2004, 2:46pm
One county here in northern Michigan has gotten 8 feet of snow precipitation since winter began.

pklima
Feb-14-2004, 2:51pm
Nothing in College Station... and we had snow in the forecast. Too bad.

Coy Wylie
Feb-14-2004, 3:01pm
Well out here in the Texas Panhandle we are a little more used to snow. Dale, I grew up near where you and some of the other guys live just outside Henderson in Rusk County. When I was a kid we would get an inch or two of snow once or twice a year. I've lived in Amarillo for 12 years. This has been a dry winter. A few years ago we got as much as 30-35" each year. The drought has brought that number down. We got about 4" this week.

donhenri
Feb-15-2004, 6:45pm
Ah yes. Snow in Texas. No matter what happens, it can't be as bad as the big freeze 6 or 7 years ago. I had caught a plane to Colorado Springs to help my girlfriend drive back down to Houston. We stopped in Amarillo and hooked up with friends. The next day was a 35 mph max speed down Highway 36 to Houston.

The best part of the trip was that not only did the Corolla we were driving not have a working heater, that meant that the defroster was also not working. We had to stop every 100 miles or so to pick up more winshield washer fluid so we could melt the ice on the windshield. 13 hours of hell right there.

By the time I got back to my car, which had been in a friend's driveway, it was encased in almost an inch thick layer of ice. It looked like a wedding cake. I chipped my way into the driver's side door, got it started, put the defrost all the way up, and went back inside. A half hour later I was able to drive it.

NickelCreeker
Feb-16-2004, 3:43am
Its common Dale! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif
Lets see, I lived in Stevenville, near Waco and Grandburry, It snowed every 4 years....LOL. I miss Texas dude http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/sad.gif

Russ(String-Alley)
Feb-16-2004, 10:39am
welcome to NY Dale! I didn't know you were in town.
just kidding man.....but It sure is a strange sight to see for you folks. I'd be rubbing my eyes for sure. We had our fair share up this-a-ways for our winter season.
they puttin' tire chains on yet? they won't let us use em' up here.

Cheers!

Bluemando
Feb-16-2004, 11:02am
No snow here in Houston. Finally got a sunny day, no rain......yippee!!!

Russ(String-Alley)
Feb-16-2004, 11:24am
How close are you to Plano Dale?

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WEATHER/02/15/texas.snowstorms.ap/index.html

Clyde Clevenger
Feb-16-2004, 1:38pm
Winter of '74/'75 I was stationed at Reese AFB in Lubbock. Worked three nights a week as a cab driver, Air Force pay doesn't support a family of 4. We had several snow storms that winter and it was great fun to have the whole city of Lubbock to myself at three in the morning covered with fresh snow. I took all the nurses to work and some of the drunks home, a cultural awakening for a small town boy.
I also played bass for a C&W bar band, County Line if my memory is working. Did you know there was a gay C&W bar in Lubbock, Texas in 1974? David's Warehouse was the name, another shock for the cowboy.

Feb-16-2004, 1:43pm
Russ, about 90 miles due east of Plano.

I'm glad I made my Nashville run last weekend!

http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=20040215231109990001

beachbum
Feb-16-2004, 7:01pm
Wow! I never knew there were so many Texans on this site! Cool! Dale, I'm in Corpus Christi. Today is absolutely gorgeous. In the 70's and sunny. The last couple of days it was cold at night (40's, ok, cold for S. Tx) and in the low 60's during the day. After the drive down the beach today, about 20 miles each way, (had to pull a friend out of the sand) I remebered why I live here. Gave up the mando for the day for the drive on the beach. It was a tough call! I think I'll pull it out tonight after the sun goes down! Hope everyone thaws out soon!
Susan

justwrite
Feb-16-2004, 11:20pm
I was in Texas for the snow on Saturday, in Burleson.

It does sometimes snow in some parts of Texas. When I was in college in San Angelo, we had a big snow right after Christmas break and some kids couldn't get back to school because they were snowed in . . . in Del Rio! I thought hell really had frozen over that time.