PDA

View Full Version : Repair courses

Matt DeBlass
Oct-31-2010, 5:36pm
Having hit one of those "time to change career" periods in my life (the newspaper business is not what it used to be), and having spent nearly two years flailing around, I've been trying to think about how to apply my interests/talents in a way that will let me make a living. I'd love to work in the music industry, and would ideally just be a rock star, but figure there are plenty of other jobs in the industry in case my first choice doesn't work out :grin:
I've been thinking about looking for training in instrument repair (band instruments and strings both ideally), I've been doing most of my own setup and repair for a while, and have some mechanical background (bicycle repair) so I figure I could learn to do it will, with the right training.
Anyone have suggestions for schools/programs/financial aid/anything.

sbarnes
Oct-31-2010, 6:31pm
http://www.probirt.com/nm/repair-schools/repair-schools.asp
i would imagine you might apprentice w/a luthier as well.....having been a band director for many years, i was well acquainted w/our local repair people....they make a living but not a great one....usually work for a local music store....i know one who opened his own facility and does great work.....does pretty well (actually quite well).....

sunburst
Oct-31-2010, 6:40pm
There are schools for band instruments repair, I don't know where they are right off, but I know they exist.
Fretted instrument repair is another kettle of fish. You can learn fret work, neck sets, the usual maintenance type repairs from a lutherie school (they're not too hard to find), but instruments can be broken in all sorts of creative ways, and even the most experienced repair people are regularly confronted with things they've never seen before. The best education in instrument repair is getting a job at a retail music store and repairing all the broken and damaged instruments that come through the door for a few years. It helps if the store has an experienced repair person already there to observe and learn from. Not much money to be made working there, but it's cheaper than school!

Big Joe
Oct-31-2010, 7:25pm
It is a hard business to say the least. There are always challenges that confront you in so many ways. The fun part is working through the challenges and seeing the positive results on the other end. Lutherie schools can either be a help or do damage depending upon where you go, what they teach, and how much actual hands on time you get working on damaged instruments. Too often the courses are so short and cover only such basics as to make the graduate pretty useless. If you can afford to work as a student under a good luthier to learn what you need to know you will certainly learn more. Depending upon your skills and hands and eyes and mind you can learn enough to work through the things you don't know in a couple years. Just like any other technical aspect, there is a lot to learn....especially if you wish to become good at all stringed instruments. Each kind of instrument is different from the others in so many ways, and just because you understand one does not mean you are capable on another. Having an opportunity to learn each of the stringed instruments will give you a well rounded education. However, to experience enough jobs on the various instruments to make you good will not come easy or with a minimal time investment. Lutherie must first be a passion. If you are looking for a lucrative career, then stay with what you have. It is likely to be as good or better.

Any change in career usually requires great sacrifice and you are not likely to find anyone willing to pay much... if anything.... to teach you to be good at what you want to do. Like anything else worth doing, there is a price to pay in time and economics. If those costs are too high, then it is probably not the right field. If you are willing to pay that price, and have a passion for the instruments that over rides all else, then there may be a chance and you may find exactly what you were born to do. Just remembrer, if it was easy, everyone could do it.

BradKlein
Oct-31-2010, 7:56pm
It's hard to follow Joe, the voice of experience, but I'll offer a contact to a school, the Vermont Instruments School of Luthiery (http://www.vermontinstruments.com/building-courses/certificate-repair.html) that offers repair and build courses. You certainly don't leave a one week course with all the experience you need to open your own shop. But you can learn a lot, and I know Adam Buchwald to be a thoughtful and skilled luthier and teacher.

Matt DeBlass
Oct-31-2010, 8:47pm
Definitely not looking to make a fortune, just make a living doing something satisfying. I had a job a loved as a journalist, but those jobs aren't around anymore, and I've been spending most of the last couple years working at a succession of temporary jobs that have been neither emotionally nor financially satisfying. I love music, I love instruments, and I love working with my hands and tinkering with things, and thought that repair might be a way to combine those things. I'm passionate enough about music to want to work in the industry, but think actual performance is probably only going to be a weekend job, not enough to pay the bills.
I'm just starting to look around, and seriously consider the idea. Right now I've got a pretty crummy sales job which I hoped would lead to at least decent money, but has just resulted in my pouring my savings into my gas tank, and having to scrape up what I can from other sources to put food on the table (fortunately, I played a wedding today, so I have grocery money for a week or so).
I don't have a ton of experience, I used to work in a guitar shop and looked over the repairman's shoulder as much as I could. I've built a few kit instruments, done repairs and setups on all my own guitars, mandolin, harp and drums, but have just enough to realize just how much there is to learn. I'm not sure if this is the right way to go, but it seems more productive than heading in the direction I'm going.

sunburst
Oct-31-2010, 9:58pm
Jumping in is tough. Wading in slowly works better, so a day job is probably best for a while. Any chance of getting a day job at a music store that does repairs? Sales experience is a good thing for a retail store.
Poverty is almost directly responsible for my life as a luthier. I got out of school in midst of the last big recession and was doing various jobs about like you are now, and learning to play banjo in all the free time that left. I needed a better banjo... so I built one, but only after a lot of research and repairing and working on cheap instruments. I did my homework so well (two years worth) before I started to build my first banjo that it resulted in me getting a job at an instrument manufacturer. Any manufacturers near you, or are you willing to relocate? Again, not much money, but cheaper than school.
I have no formal training as a luthier, I just had the passion, the recession, and the curse of talent all pushing me in the direction of luthery and ended up here mostly by mistake, I probably had potential in my squandered youth...

Pikalot
Nov-01-2010, 7:09am
And don't let anyone discourage you from this. Some will tell you you should have started as a kid doing it and now it's too late, etc, etc. Bull. You want it, go for it. Nobody here knows the capacity your mind has to absorb knowledge and your God-given skills. If you feel it burning at your heart, dive in (with wisdom, not abandon).

Good luck with it