PDA

View Full Version : 1st time buyer from Japan...

Tokyopuffer
Oct-29-2010, 7:36pm
Hey guys and gals,

I am a newbie here. I have been perusing the forums looking at all of the volumes of info you guys got here. It seems like a friendly bunch of people.

Well, to the point. I have wanted to play the mandolin for a long while now. I am originally from Chicago. When I was at home I was still a poor Univ. student. Now that I have graduated, I have the money, but I live in Japan. Not many mando players here and finding instruments is really hard.

I recently made a friend who plays mandolin in the park with a few other guys. (A real friendly bunch. They are always playing in the park and enjoying a good bottle of wine on Saturdays.) He was really excited that someone else wanted to learn mando in Tokyo. He has been a great help and even introduced me to the forum here.

He is willing to help me find a good mando here in Tokyo, but the prices are really steep. I have my eyes on an Eastman MD505, but the price is $1040.00!!!

I was wondering if it would be better to just order from themandolinstore.com. I have heard only good things about them here on the forum. I was looking at the Eastman MD505, Kentucky KM505, or the Loar LM400VS.

Am I right to think that these are comparable mandos? Is there one that shines above the rest? Would it be good for a 1st timer to buy online from themadolinstore.com?

Thanks for the help in advance!
Best,
Dean in Tokyo

Miked
Oct-29-2010, 9:10pm
Welcome to the Cafe, Dean!

I can't say which of those mandolins would be better, but I do know that Dennis Vance will make sure you're a satisfied customer. I've purchased and traded a couple mandolins from Dennis and he's treated me very well.

Jill McAuley
Oct-29-2010, 9:59pm
I've played both the Eastman 505 and the Kentucky KM505 - both great value for the money, consensus seems to be that the fit and finish on the Eastman's is a bit better. Haven't played the Loar model that you mentioned but I think I've read here previously that the Loars have flat fretboards vs. the Eastman and Kentucky which both have radius fretboards, so that might be something that plays into your decision. The Loars have been reported to have chunkier necks as well, though I've mainly read that in reference to their 600 and 700 models. I've played a Loar 600 and the neck on it was indeed quite substantial! Oh and you can count me as another person who has only good things to say about The Mandolin Store - you can't go wrong there!

Cheers,
Jill

red7flag
Oct-29-2010, 10:00pm
Welcome to the Cafe Dean. From my experience those instruments are fairly comparable. You are talking about instruments that are factory produced. As such there can be a fair amount of variation even within the same product. I strongly recommend that you play as many as you can until you find the one that rocks yours socks. A major factor at that price point is set up. Some pretty nice mandolins sound like crud until they are properly set up. Some dealers do a great job preparing instruments, Greg Boyd, the Mandolin Store, Gruhn's, Elderly, Charles Johnson come to mind. This was in no way an exhaustive list. There are some dealers, that I will not mention, that are notorious for poor set ups and customer service. I would rather pay a bit more with the peace of mind that my new instrument is set up properly and that if there is a problem, they will support the product. Good luck.

Greenmando
Oct-29-2010, 10:27pm
Just wondering. Is there not a tariff or import fees if you have one sent over?

Tokyopuffer
Oct-29-2010, 11:21pm
Just wondering. Is there not a tariff or import fees if you have one sent over?

Wow! You are right...I should check on that. I bought a pair of Doc Martin boots and got sacked with a $45.00 tax.

I will check on that now...

OK. I am safe. No extra taxes or tariffs.

Ron McMillan
Oct-30-2010, 5:25am
OK. I am safe. No extra taxes or tariffs.

Are you sure there are not taxes on imported musical instruments? In my experience, Asian countries are VERY protective of their own manufacturers, and almost routinely inflict punitive import duties on any item that either could have been made by a domestic manufacturer or could NOT have been made locally. A classic catch-all that I have experienced in different parts of Asia.

ron

Rvl
Oct-30-2010, 5:52am
Tax is usually 5% on imports to Japan,if you use the post office
If it is under 20,000yen , no tax

But if you have it shipped by UPS or Fedex they charge a flat fee(processing) + percentage + 5%
Very expensive and I dont recommend

I pay $55-$100 shipping for mandolins

Thanks

Robert VanLane

Tokyopuffer
Oct-30-2010, 7:02am
Tax is usually 5% on imports to Japan,if you use the post office
If it is under 20,000yen , no tax

But if you have it shipped by UPS or Fedex they charge a flat fee(processing) + percentage + 5%
Very expensive and I dont recommend

I pay $55-$100 shipping for mandolins

Thanks

Robert VanLane

Hey Robert,

I must have looked at the wrong place. I was looking at the official Japan customs page at: http://www.customs.go.jp/english/tariff/2010_4/index.htm

Where did you get your information?

Thanks,
Dean

Rvl
Oct-30-2010, 7:48am
I dont think its a tariff but sales tax
They dont always charge me and I have never quite figured out if I will be charged
As for information , its just 20 years of living in Japan

Hey Robert,

I must have looked at the wrong place. I was looking at the official Japan customs page at: http://www.customs.go.jp/english/tariff/2010_4/index.htm

Where did you get your information?

Thanks,
Dean

John Gass
Oct-30-2010, 8:12am
The only one of these mandolins I can offer a valid recommendation on is the The Loar. I have an LM700 and played a LM400 at Big Joe's and I was incredibly impressed. Great tone, playability, and value in general. Go for it.

mrmando
Oct-30-2010, 2:32pm
The U.S. Postal Service is the only sane option for shipping overseas from the States. It costs about one-third as much as UPS or FedEx.

Eddie Sheehy
Oct-30-2010, 2:56pm
Wouldn't it be cheaper for someone in Japan to buy a Chinese-made instrument from China or Korea?

Tokyopuffer
Oct-30-2010, 5:14pm
I dont think its a tariff but sales tax
They dont always charge me and I have never quite figured out if I will be charged
As for information , its just 20 years of living in Japan

I have the same thing happen to me when I order pipes and pipe tobacco. They only charge if there is more than a certain amount of tobacco, but sometimes I know I have ordered over the limit and still they don't charge me. Other times there is an 8000 yen tax...and that really hurts on a $40.00 tobacco order.

I emailed themandolinstore.com and they emailed me back already. Those guys are great! I am going to skype with them later in the week. Zack told me that the Kentucky KY505 sounds better than the Eastman MD505, but the Eastman has a better fit and finish. He said he does not like the Loar.

I think I might be leaning more towards the Kentucky KM505. The price is right...

I guess I will wait until I skype with the guys at the mandolin store.

I have to say though, all of you guys are great. This is a really friendly community you got here. Really helpful. My hats off to you!

CES
Oct-30-2010, 5:44pm
I played a KM 505 a couple of weeks ago and was impressed with its tone for the price. The radius is VERY SLIGHT (ie, it felt like a flat board compared to my Silverangel)...I personally like a slightly wider neck, but still have and play a Kentucky as my beater...I don't think you can go wrong with either of the three...pick the one that sounds best to you and best fits your budget when you Skype them.

And, welcome to the Cafe!

swampstomper
Oct-31-2010, 2:09am
I would be cautious with your assumption that you only have to pay sales tax. Here in Netherlands the importer (you or the store) has to pay a different tax called "import duty" for certain things, and yes it has to do with protecting local industry. My local music store charges about $1500 for a Martin guitar that is about $950 in a full-service US music store. He explained to me that he has to pay 40% import duty on the wholesale price (so let's say that's 40% of $800 = $320), then of course he has to mark it up 19% which is our sales tax (we call it Value Added Tax or VAT). The second part you will definitely have to pay, but there may be restrictions on importing instruments that require you then to pay the import duty. I encourage you to check carefully the customs regulations.

I know that here in NL if I, as an individual, bring in a USA-bought instrument and declare it, I am liable for that 40% import duty, as well as the sales tax -- I can find that information on the Dutch customs website.

masa618
Oct-31-2010, 4:33am
Hello,
The duty of the prize to import into Japan is 5%.
Because I know the importer if it is the Loar, I can introduce it.
I live in Aichi,Japan.

Tokyopuffer
Oct-31-2010, 8:19am
Hello,
The duty of the prize to import into Japan is 5%.
Because I know the importer if it is the Loar, I can introduce it.
I live in Aichi,Japan.

The website I checked must be wrong. I will be ready for the fee then. You are the 3rd person to warn me now. "3 times a charm"

Thank you for the heads up, everybody.

So far, everyone has given me solid advice. I will let everyone know what happens after I skype with the mandolin store next week.

Thank you, everybody!!! Keep the information coming!!!

MiG-19
Nov-01-2010, 12:29am
Dean,
I had my KM1000 shipped to me from the Mandolin Store to Okinawa, it arrived in record time with no issues what-so-ever. Great service. I don't deal with the tarriffs as I am with the military. Cudos to the Mandolin Store, and welcome to the fold Dean!

frankenstein
Nov-01-2010, 5:17am
You could try www.woodman.co.jp. everything from eastman to gils from time to time..

Rick Cadger
Nov-01-2010, 5:53am
I currently own a Kentucky KM-505. I have owned three Eastmans, one of which was an MD505. Both are good mandolins at very reasonable prices.

I preferred the look of the Eastman. Lovely wood. It also had a very nice, if slightly soft, varnish.

Actual quality of fit and finish may have been a tiny bit more refined on the Eastman, but there is not much to choose between the two on that count. The MD505 I had, had no back body binding, so was a little prone to dings in that soft varnish.

Playability between the two is pretty similar when set up well. Both have small frets and radiused boards (althought the Eastman radius is a little more pronounced).

I like the sound of the Kentucky KM-505 a tad better than I liked the Eastman. The Eastman had a little less crispness and definition and the bass was just a tiny bit weak and muffled. Didn't sound quite as bluegrassy to me as the KM-505 - which has a nice chop.

Either one would be a nice inexpensive mando, easily up to playing jams or gigs.

Tokyopuffer
Nov-03-2010, 7:33am
Well guys and gals,

I made my order with the Mandolin Store. I decided on the Kentucky KM505. I will make a post in the general forum with a little more details.

Thank you for all of the help everybody. I look forward to practicing and learning more with everyone here.

Martin Jonas
Nov-03-2010, 8:18am
Hey guys and gals,

Now that I have graduated, I have the money, but I live in Japan. Not many mando players here and finding instruments is really hard.

I know the discussion has moved on a bit since the original post, but I just wanted to pick up on this point: it is my understanding that there is in fact a very active classical mandolin scene in Japan, and has been for over 100 years, based on formal ensembles of bowlback mandolins. That may not be all that relevant to you, as you seem to be interested in carved mandolins and informal (folk/bluegrass?) music, but may be worth keeping in mind when it comes to tutors or equipment. While it may not be where you want to end up in terms of your preferred type of music, playing in a classical ensemble is a very good way for a beginner to get up to speed on technique, reading music, and playing with others.

Martin

Rvl
Nov-03-2010, 9:45am
There are a lot of bowlback mandolins for sale in Japan
Here is the auction category for mandolins in the Yahoo Auctions

http://list5.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/%E3%83%9E%E3%83%B3%E3%83%89%E3%83%AA%E3%83%B3-%E5%BC%A6%E6%A5%BD%E5%99%A8-%E6%A5%BD%E5%99%A8-%E5%99%A8%E6%9D%90-%E3%83%9B%E3%83%93%E3%83%BC-%E3%82%AB%E3%83%AB%E3%83%81%E3%83%A3%E3%83%BC/2084049859-category-leaf.html?alocale=0jp&mode=1

Rvl
Nov-03-2010, 9:47am
And Digimart is the listing of 100's of shops selling new and used instruments
http://www.digimart.net/pub_gk_list.do?c1=1&c2=20

Desert Rose
Nov-08-2010, 8:35am
There is a HUGE bluegrass and mandolin and banjo etc world in Tokyo!

You can see live bluegrass every night of the week at Rocky Top in the Ginza. As well there are a few more live houses that cater to bluegrass including the pros that come from America

You should contact Dicky Kitano at the bluegrass music store On the Border. He is an Eastman dealer as well as a good mandolin guitar and banjo teacher and speaks great english. the store is by Tokyo Dome

You will find mandolins in a number of music stores in Ochanomizu, the music store area of Tokyo with close to a dozen and a half major stores in a four block area, but On the Border is very smalll and personal

go to

www.yahoo.co.jp

and just type in

On the Border

Scott