PDA

View Full Version : De Danann "Wonderwaltz"

kmmando
Oct-27-2010, 11:37am
This fantastic new recording, done in Sharon Shannon's studio on the west of Ireland, is released this friday 29th October. The selection of songs and the arrangements and sheer quality of Eleanor Shanley's singing is exceptional - probably the best they have done. She is brilliantly supported by Cian Finn, who you HAVE to hear - a spine tingling vocalist with reggae credentials!

The music sets - and there are 16 tracks of tunes and songs on the whole album - are powerful, driven and swung hard by the legendary Johnny "Ringo" McDonagh's top class bodhran and Alec Finn's sparkling trichordo bouzouki, with top notch tunesmithery from accordionist Derek Hickey and Mick Conneely. Underpinning all that is a really great performance from banjoist Brian McGrath, echoing the influential early De Danann sounds of Charlie Piggott. Brian also provides inventive warm and very complementary piano to the songs. And loads more!

It is a masterpiece of Irish traditional music right up there with the seminal recordings the band made over the past 30 years, with its highly distinctive sound and mesmeric rhythmic pulse.

Highly recommended

kmmando
Nov-18-2010, 6:53pm
CD Review: WonderWaltz by De Danaan
reviewed by Bill Nevins
De Danaan, the revered, three decade- old Irish traditional band, takes its name from the Tuatha de Danaan--legendary magic folk of lore. Like those storied other worldly people of the Goddess Danu, De Danaan the band has renewed and reinvigorated itself many many times over the years.

A "who’s who" of singers and instrumentalists has flowed through their various line ups. I recall buying a signed LP of an early De Danaan album from the great Maura O Connell when she was a young lass just begun singing with the band and also staffing the merch table at an outdoor concert in Vermont way back in the early 80s.

Now two of the founders of De Danaan, Bouzouki master Alec Finn and bodhran wizard Johnny "Ringo" McDonagh have again re-formed the band to tour and record this fine album. Joining them in that good work are singer Eleanor Shanley, Brian McGrath, Derek Hickey and fiddler Mick Conneeley. This album is a very fine outing, indeed. Traditional tunes–jigs, reels and airs-- abound, all delivered with De Danaan’s trademark verve and precision. Each is a delight.

For me, though the highlights of this most worth-having album are the songs. De Danaan has always conjured for me a turn of the century feeling, and in many of their albums that meant the turn of the 20th century, both in Ireland and Irish-America, as they played what seemed a revived version of the grand dance hall and stage shows of times long gone by.

However, on WonderWaltz, as the title implies, De Danaan give trad music an new kick forward. This is so wonderfully apparent in the choice and delivery of songs, which suggest old Ireland uncertainly plunging on into the as-yet-undefined 21st century world we now all face. Economic crash, social turmoil and the quiet yearning for peace and home all are reflected poetically in "Ireland", "Across the Borderline" and, most poignantly for me, in an updated take on Paul Brady’s beautiful, classic 1980s song "Hard Station".

WonderWaltz is a grand listen. I highly recommend this De Danaan album, and all of their back catalog, for your holiday giving and enjoyment choices.

MandoSquirrel
Nov-18-2010, 8:52pm
Oh great, another CD I have to buy. Don't I have enough already? :crying:

:grin:

Ptarmigan
Dec-11-2010, 7:56pm
This is the very best CD I've heard in ages!

It takes me right back to the early glory days of the band & it's just fantastic to have the Banjo in the mix too, played by none finer than Brian McGrath!

Cheers
Dick

rjb
Jan-15-2011, 5:40am
I've just got a copy of Wonderwaltz and it's a great album, however I found it quite difficult to get hold of in the UK at a sensible price until I found that HMV's web site are currently selling it for £9.99

http://hmv.com/hmvweb/displayProductDetails.do?sku=503356

Don't know how long this will be the case, but it's worth getting if you can.

Richard