PDA

View Full Version : Misissippi Delta Home?

squeally dan
Oct-14-2004, 2:34pm
I heard Sam Bush singing a song in a live concert I found on the internet. The chorus has the following lines: "My muddy water Mississippi Delta HOme." Is that the naem of the song? Who did it originally? I really like that song.

Michael H Geimer
Oct-14-2004, 2:53pm
Ginseng Sullivan, by Norman Blake.

Hey all, I have question about this song. I have only heard Tony Rice's version, and learned the song off the CD. But, all the Internet TAB I've seen for this song has different chords than what I'm hearing.

I'll put these down in C, as the song is clearly capo'ed up from C-positioning.

Verse (as I hear Tony play it):
C - - F / F C Amin Emaj / G C /

Verse (as I see it posted around town):
C - - F / F C F Amin / G C /

Either progression supports the melody, but that is a serious discrepancy in the harmonization.

IMHO ... I believe most every piece of Internet TAB is wrong, so I choose to play what I hear. But, it has prevented me from playing it people who have learned those common Internet chords.

Anyone know how Norman authored it? Anyone agree with my chords? ... disagree?

Strado Len
Oct-14-2004, 2:59pm
I think Tony's version goes from A min to E min (at least that's the way he plays it on Manzanita). I have a version by Norman Blake from the early 70's, and he plays F to A min.

Michael H Geimer
Oct-14-2004, 3:12pm
Thanks! I'll listen again and ask myself if I hear a major or minor E chord. (I do love the tension of it as a major chord, at least when I play it) I'll also have to check out Norman's original version.

Great song no matter how you tweak it!

squeally dan
Oct-14-2004, 3:51pm
Thanks for all the info! I've heard that Manzanita is a grat album. I'll have to get that one!

MartinD_GibsonA
Oct-14-2004, 4:33pm
Ginseng Sullivan, by Norman Blake.

Hey all, I have question about this song. I have only heard Tony Rice's version, and learned the song off the CD. But, all the Internet TAB I've seen for this song has different chords than what I'm hearing.

I'll put these down in C, as the song is clearly capo'ed up from C-positioning.

Verse (as I hear Tony play it):
C - - F / F C Amin Emaj / G C /

Verse (as I see it posted around town):
C - - F / F C F Amin / G C /

Either progression supports the melody, but that is a serious discrepancy in the harmonization.

IMHO ... I believe most every piece of Internet TAB is wrong, so I choose to play what I hear. But, it has prevented me from playing it people who have learned those common Internet chords.

Anyone know how Norman authored it? Anyone agree with my chords? ... disagree?

Anyone know how Norman authored it?

From "The Norman Blake Anthology" as transcribed by Steve Kaufman:

Key of E (capo 2)
Verse: D G D Bm A D
Chorus: D G D G C D Em A D G D G A D

There's not really enough space here to write out the beats, but it's pretty easy to figure out if you have this much to work with.

Don Smith

Michael H Geimer
Oct-14-2004, 5:19pm
Interesting ... I'll give it a try out of D positioning as well, and see how those chords play out.

Later: Strado Len, you are indeed correct. Emin it is, possibly a 7 in there - Tony being Tony - but certainly not major.