PDA

View Full Version : Breedlove Quartz OO....

gretschbigsby
Feb-14-2004, 7:43am
I'm becoming more and more drawn to the mandolin for purposes other than bluegrass... more old time or folk type stuff. I'm also very drawn to openess and warmth of the oval sound hole sound.

I know that there is a current thread on today's builders, but I was specifically interested in the Breedlove Quartz OO and I've been trying to find reviews for it online without much success... any ideas where I would look? Would any owners like to chime in on their experiences of this mandolin? Specifically, how does it compare to, say, an pre-1920's Gibson A? That would seem to be the choice, as both are around the same price range...

Thanks!

Bob

peterbc
Feb-15-2004, 4:38pm
Is the quartz the one with the block sticking out? I don't own one, but I did play one and I liked it. One thing I don't like about the old Gibson A's is that it can be hard to play up the neck since they join so high up, but I would love to have one, I really like the sound. I'd have to compare them side by side especially since I didn't play the Breedlove for very long but the breedlove definately had that oval hole sound and I thought it was pretty good. I've noticed that Elderly has a few F4's that might interest you for a little bit more (I think in the mid-high $2000 area).

Peter

John Flynn
Feb-15-2004, 4:47pm
The "one with the block sticking out" is the K-style. The OO is an A-style with an oval sound hole and X bracing. I have not played one, but I have played several other Breedloves and there has been a lot discussion on the board about the OO's. Generally, people who have them like them and Breedlove is a good builder.

GBG
Feb-16-2004, 10:09am
I recently purchased a KO from Dale and have been trying to break it in for only the past 3 weeks. I haven't played many old Gibson ovals, but I would say in general the Breedlove would be brighter and less woody sounding than the old Gibsons.

mandobob
Feb-16-2004, 10:27am
Just got one and think it's a keeper. I play oldtime and blues and some dawg style; I think if you're looking to play just BG, you'd need to hear it for yourself first.

Feb-16-2004, 10:51am
IMHO the new Breedloves are sounding better all the time & those folks are doing some great work. I've had several new Quartz models come through here of late & I'm very impressed. Great woods, workmanship, finish, volume & tone at a VERY affordable price. American made & affordable.....a great combination!

GBG
Feb-16-2004, 12:06pm
My Breedlove KO is especially good for a lot of the oldtime,fiddle tunes and Irish traditional. I play the same tunes on it that I play on my good bluegrass mandolin, but some of the tunes like "Down Yonder", "Mississippi Sawyer","Golden Slippers", and most of the Irish tunes sound better on the oval hole because of the warmer, brighter sound and the additional sustain. Most of the other fiddle tunes sound good on both mandolins, just different.

Lee
Feb-16-2004, 5:02pm
I've heard the neck has a bit of a V-profile and is slightly wider. No one's mentioned this. Is it barely noticable?

Eric F.
Feb-16-2004, 6:07pm
The neck is slightly wider, but I would not say it has a "V" profile. Breedloves are very, very comfortable to play for me because of the neck profile, width and radius.

Feb-16-2004, 6:36pm
They are not a V profile.

jiffyfeet
Feb-17-2004, 3:28pm
I haven't played any old Gibson A mandos to compare, but I did have a Breedlove OO for about 4 months. I just traded it on Friday for a KF.

I loved this mando. I played it a LOT during the time I had it, and I thought it sounded wonderful. It was very loud and seemed to have a good deal of low-end, something I like. I would definitely recommend it to anybody who was looking at it.