PDA

View Full Version : Fiddler's Green Picnic in Austin

GRW3
Oct-24-2010, 7:12pm
Brian and I went up to the Fiddler's Green Picnic in Austin today. It was also cosponsoered by the Central Texas Bluegrass Association and the Austin Friends of Traditional Music. It was a glorius afternoon with lots of great music. There were numerous circles going on through the area. I was forced to stay in one place by Drs orders for my toe but I was thrilled to be there. Brian mingled.

When you see all the mandolin players in attendance you can understand why Fiddler's located to Austin. Way more than most places seems to me. Lots of banjos and fiddles too so much guitar playing would not be 'fifth wheel' like so many jams. Great time had be all I reckon.

B. T. Walker
Oct-24-2010, 8:19pm
Austin has one of the finest city park departments anywhere, and Zilker Park is one of the treasured gems. The place is huge, and everywhere you looked driving in there were people. The Fiddler's Green picnic was at the Polo Tables picnic area, a lovely place covered with shady live oaks (which would make polo dern near impossible, IMHO), perfect for multiple circles. The weather was partly cloudy, not too hot or too cold.

George was stuck in one place by one of the bluegrass circles, wisely following his physician's directives about how long to stand and walk around. I walked around. There was an old time circle, a couple or three or four bluegrass circles, a sizeable Tejano circle, a celtic circle, Danny Brooks and his band came up after their gospel brunch at Threadgill's, and more people were coming in as we were leaving. The event was supposed to end at 4:00, but I think that was just when they quit putting weenies on the grill. They may be still jamming now, an hour after dark.

What a great time. So many fine players, and lots of great music. We are extremely lucky to have Fiddler's Green. They really have become an integral part of the music community of this part of Texas, and this was just another example of their fine service. Major kudos to Ben and the rest of the FG staff.

HddnKat
Oct-25-2010, 8:05pm
It was indeed a great time - many thanks to Ben and the FG staff, and also the CTBG folks - I can't imagine a nicer way to spend a fall Sunday afternoon!