PDA

View Full Version : Upgraded mandolin for teenager: Kentucky or Morgan Monroe?

PRW
Oct-24-2010, 8:11am
Hi, I registered for the forum to ask this question. I have a 16-year-old son who's taught himself to play mandolin. He's taught himself guitar as well and a couple of years ago I got him a cheap Johnson A-style mandolin to mess around on, but honestly at this point his mandolin chops have gotten better than his guitar chops, we played together the other night and I could barely keep up with him.

FYI, he's a left-hander, and he flipped the bridge and worked with it and the nut himself with the Johnson and darned if he doesn't have the thing playing in perfect intonation at least to my ears.

Any way, he's going to get a new, better, albeit not massively expensive mandolin for Christmas. I've decided we're going to buy from FolkMusician.com, after what I've seen at their site and the recommendations for that vendor that I've seen while browsing the forum here (and some of the owner's posts).

First off, he wants an electric mandolin. He plays with a band at church. And he doesn't play bluegrass, he rocks and rolls with it. Think Peter Buck a la "Losing My Religion" or Mark Heard. I don't know if any of you have ever heard of Mark, who died in 1992, but he was a Christian/folk rock musician who played a lot of mandolin and on his last album, "Satellite Sky," he played an old metal-bodied National electric mandolin on every song, it was really in the forefront. My son has taught himself the entire "Satellite Sky" album, so that's kind of where he is mandolin-wise.

We were looking at a Morgan Monroe MM-100SBE lefty. We've actually seen a right-handed, non-electric version at a local music store, and my son played it and liked it (of course he'd like anything better than what he's got). However, I'm thinking that one of the Kentucky solid-wood mandolins like the KM-161 or KM-174 might be a better investment for him (although there would be the added expense of electrifying it, which he really wants).

Can anyone give me any input here? It certainly would be appreciated. Thanks!

mrmando
Oct-24-2010, 10:57pm
As a fellow Mark Heard fan (see my avatar!) I gotta meet your son! Plenty of Stratocaster on Satellite Sky but lots of the "hooks" (like the beginning of "Tip of My Tongue") are the National Silvo, through an effects pedal.

I would choose a solid-wood mandolin over any Morgan Monroe. But have you considered a full-on electric solidbody mandolin? There's one in your price range that even comes in a left-handed version: the Eastwood Mandocaster (http://www.jerrysleftyguitars.com/eastwood-mandolins/lefthand-mandocaster-2.html). No need to add the pickup (it's already there) or do a left-handed setup (already done)!

If you can spend as much as $600 it might make sense to explore having a left-handed, solidbody, 8-string, no-frills electric custom made by someone like Andrew Jerman or Rick Felkel.

scapier
Oct-25-2010, 12:14am
Mark Heard rocked! I got to record on a tribute album for him, and his songs are some of the best that ever came out of that scene. Why not look for a good used Eastman mando?

mrmando
Oct-28-2010, 7:12pm
Mark Heard rocked! I got to record on a tribute album for him
Let me guess. The Carolyn Arends cut?

Patrick Hull
Oct-30-2010, 5:52am
My advice? Don't buy the Morgan Monroe.

PRW
Oct-30-2010, 10:06pm
FYI, got a Kentucky KM-161 (black finish) lefty, a case and a strap en route from FolkMusician.com after a couple of nice phone calls and email exchanges with Robert. We'll electrify it later, maybe for my son's birthday, am eyeing the K&K Twin pickup that it looks like we can install ourselves, and maybe the K&K preamp. Thanks for the advice ... and Mark Heard definitely rocks. I have a VHS (need to get it converted to DVD since my last VHS machine just bit the dust) of his last performance at the Cornerstone Festival in 1992, and he does a solo bit in the middle using an Epiphone (I believe) mandolin and doing songs from "Satellite Sky," fantastic stuff.

mrmando
Oct-30-2010, 10:28pm
Yes, Mark's road mandolin was an Epiphone MM30. He didn't travel with the Silvo because, for one thing, it lacked a roadworthy case. He kept it in an old banjo case at home.