PDA

View Full Version : Skaggs' New Record

AlanN
Oct-14-2004, 11:50am
On it, Ricky plays a Danelectro on many cuts. What the heck is that, some new type of shaver http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif ?

GVD
Oct-14-2004, 12:27pm
This is a Danelectro. My very first guitar was the same exact model. My friends used to slam me until they saw Jimmy Page playing one. That shut em up pretty quick.

I didn't see Ricky's name in the Dano celeb list http://www.danoguitars.com/DanoCelebs.html #But then I didn't see my name either so I guess he shouldn't feel bad.
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif

GVD

Bob DeVellis
Oct-14-2004, 2:28pm
I vaguely remember guys detaching the necks on them and putting dimes in as spacers between the neck and body to improve the action. When done correctly, it made an inexpensive guitar play like one costing at leat twice as much. I don't know what the new ones are like, but the originals were darn fine axes for the price.

ronlane3
Oct-14-2004, 2:36pm
Okay, at the risk of stealing this thread, what do people think of this albumn? I am listening to it for the first time as we speak. I have no opinion as of yet.

mad dawg
Oct-14-2004, 3:36pm
I forget where, bu I remember seeing some "Ramelectro" mandolins, which were take offs on Danelectro's cool retro body shapes and colors.

mandopete
Oct-14-2004, 3:50pm
We talking about Ricky or Danelectro's?

I heard some pretty cool chicken pickin' on this recording -I assume that must be Ricky on the Danelectro?

Bradley
Oct-14-2004, 4:08pm
I will first say that I am a big Skaggs fan, and have been for years.I like the project and it does grow on you after you listen to it for a while.

I really see Skaggs sound on a few of the Tracks very similar to his last country projects. For my taste I would have prefered if they would have stayed more Traditonal Bluegrass versus trying to mix the sounds of electrics and various instruments. I am not saying that is wrong...just different than what I expected and would have prefered.

Bluegrasstjej
Oct-14-2004, 4:15pm
You mean the new CD isn't traditional bluegrass? How would you describe it? I'll be disappointed if he goes back to un-traditional country....I thought he started his own recording company just because he wanted to go traditional bluegrass! Maybe I should go and listen to some tracks at CMT if it's up there.

Bluegrasstjej
Oct-14-2004, 4:25pm
I actually went straight to the CMT artist page where you can listen to audio clips from most CDs made by most artists. Sure, a few tracks are similar to Ricky's earlier country work, but I think most of them are quite traditional bluegrass stuff. I'm very pleased to find a bluegrassy version of an earlier recorded great song, "My father's son", it's very well done!!! I like the CD! (and I must be the most picky gal you'll ever meet!!!!!) I'll have to buy it from somewhere..

sgarrity
Oct-14-2004, 7:19pm
I too am a huge Skaggs fan. That's why I was a little disappointed to see this newest release move toward a more contemporary sound. There are a few good songs on there, but not the traditional bluegrass sound I was hoping for. "Bluegrass Rules" and "Ancient Tones" are definitely more in line with the kind of music I enjoy. I've also noticed his instrumentals have been getting more and more Celtic sounding. I enjoy Celtic music too, but give us some more real bluegrass. "Amanda Jewel" is IMHO a classic bluegrass instrumental. All that being said......the playing on the new Cd is still flawless.
Shaun

JeffS
Oct-14-2004, 10:19pm
Amanda Jewel is darn near Tennessee Blues though. I think it would be difficult to stick to a traditional bluegrass sound without getting too close to some classics. I really like the CD and I like the mix of styles on it.

mandolman
Oct-15-2004, 2:38am
The CD is very great and i like so much the Tune "1 Cor 1:18"

Bradley
Oct-15-2004, 5:28am
There is some awesome picking by the entire group, but I must say that Andy Leftwich is one heck of a player and really shines thru on this project.

EasyEd
Oct-28-2004, 10:41pm
Hey All,

I just bought the CD this afternoon and listened to it on the hour long ride home. First I'll give the short version of my opinion - I loved it!!! At first I didn't know what to think cause it is not as pure a bluegrass CD as Bluegrass Rules (the only other Scaggs I own) but after a while I realized that is precisely what I like about it.

I'm an edge person. I tend to like music that mixes different genres or subgenres. This CD sits squarely on the threeway junction where country meets celtic meets bluegrass. I congratulate the performers for pullin this off beautifully. Next - It must be the Dylan in me but I really want, love, need, to hear musicians speaking to the state of todays world. This CD has a solid 3 or more songs that speak to this - social conscience - right on Ricky (Bluegrass Rules had it too although probably not to the same extent)! Many songs are a clear mixture of bluegrass an celtic - first (or second) you feel like your listening to celtic then suddenly it seems to switch to bluegrass then back. If the song has words you often feel like your listening to country - but not quite! Of course it also includes the mandatory Gospel style song - one I've never heard before but really like.

The last song is an instrumental called Monroe Dancin that is strongly Celtic but I've NO doubt Big Mon likes it! If you can picture Leahy step dancin (cloggin) on stage or Natalie MacMaster playin an Step dancin at the same time and Bill pickin the mando in the background then you can picture this song.

My hat is off to Ricky on this one - the transitions are smooth, painless (enjoyable to me) and tasteful. A fine mixture of different genres. If your a hardcore grasser or hardcore into celtic or strait country all the way you might want to skip this one. Otherwise buy and enjoy!

Another thing I've found is that with many artists when I look at a CD the songs I haven't heard I wonder if they will be any good - I no longer worry about that with a Scaggs CD - now I'm confident they all (or mostly) will be good.

Take Care! -Ed-

PS the mando player isn't half bad either!http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Moose
Oct-29-2004, 9:08am
Hey Ed!! - a very good - and I believe, objective - review. Thanks. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif