PDA

View Full Version : Vega Cylinderback mandolas

DerTiefster
Oct-22-2010, 4:47pm
Kind reader,

I have had a mild exposure to Vega cylinderback mandolins, and am showing such symptoms as, "I now have one." This particular one has consumed significant attention from me because it is not fully healthy -- sagging top, strings not all there, split case seam, etc. Some of these are immediately addressable, and others require time and attention from others than myself to be corrected.

One thing we ususally take for granted, apart from special knowledge we may have on certain topics, is that we presume that others' descriptions are accurate. I acquired a "mandolin" with problems and proceeded to address the problems. But in the past day I've run across dimensions for 8-stringed "mandolins" and for 10-stringed "mandolas" which make me think that the "mandolin" I thought I had is really an 8-string mandola. My instrument is 11-1/2" wide at the crease/cant in the top, 3-3/16" deep at the "keel" of the cylinderback, about 27" in total length with no keyway cut-out at the headstock, and has a 15" scale length. The case width at widest point is 13-1/3".

I am suspicious that this is actually an 8-string mandola, and I am very nervous about whether it may have in times past been treated to mandolin strings and had the string tension run up a bit much to go to GDAE when CGDA was its home territory. I'd like to know the strings that folks use on 8-string 15" scale Vega mandolas and the total tension they feel comfortable loading their Vegas with. And just anything that I can find out, in general. Can any of you (especially owners/players of Vega cylinderbacks) provide information? Thanks.

Please note: this mandolin has had top sinkage and I am as nervous as, well, anything about over-stressing the top. The crease/cant edge has a fold in it where its strength is impaired and it would be a bit nerve-wracking as well as time-consuming to try to put that aright fully. I had GHS-A240 ultralights on it at GDAE until I realized what the dimensions meant, and I'll be doing some tension calculations to limit the tension to that level, and hopefully decrease the tension somewhat. It -did- sound pretty with that big body at GDAE, and I can see why this poster is happy about his long-scale Newell:

http://www.mandolincafe.com/forum/showthread.php?66088-New-extra-extra-long-mandolin-from-Newell

mrmando
Oct-22-2010, 5:04pm
That sure sounds like a mandola to me. My L&H mandola is also 11.5" across. Try the Thomastik "alto-mandola" strings on yours, or the La Bella "Jazz Dolas" from Ted.