PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw for $150

crawdad
Feb-14-2004, 2:14am
I have a chance to buy this bandsaw, or one just like it--a vintage Heston and Anderson for $150.00. Anybody have any pros or cons before I commit to it? Its a floor model and will resaw 12" thick billets.

Its:

1. A steal
2. Risky
3. Fulton's Folly http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/biggrin.gif

Greenmando
Feb-14-2004, 5:09am
I would buy it. http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/tounge.gif

John Jesseph
Feb-14-2004, 6:43am
Will you dress like that when you use it?

Assuming it is in working order, it seems like a good deal if it is in good shape, but I would check in at the discussion forum at www.oldwwmachines.com , look around the page for the forums section. #Lots of good info there, maybe that's where you got the neat photo! #Sometimes the people there are leary about folks popping in and asking what something is worth, but I'd give it a try. If you do buy it, folks on that site would appreciate photos and information, especially owners manuals etc. #

Where did you get the pic?

I'm hoping to replace most of my machines with old iron or a big new Felder combo machine!!

Mastersound
Feb-14-2004, 8:28am
Hi

I just did a search on MIMF and that brand doesn't get a mention. I thought there may have been something. Sorry.

Jim Hilburn
Feb-14-2004, 9:17am
You want to look over all the bearings and guides and the tires on the wheels. Replacement parts could really be a problem, but other than that, it looks like my kinda tool, cause they just don't make them like they used to.

crawdad
Feb-14-2004, 1:31pm
Thanks everybody. I got the photo from oldmachines.com. Thre were actually two complete catalogs for Heston and Anderson--very cool and downloadable.

I will see the saw today and check over everything before commiting to a purchase. I hope its what I think it is. I sent the guy a pic and he said thats the one. Now, whats the real condition?

Michael Lewis
Feb-15-2004, 12:46am
Crawdad, bearings, tires, and guides are normal wear parts so don't worry too much about their condition. As long as the rest of the saw is in decent order it sounds like a steal. On an older tool you should also inspect the electrical components like the power cord, wire conections, and the motor itself. These are also replaceable so don't worry too much about them either. You probably won't be able to buy a new 14" saw for less than $600 that is worth the price, so if you can fix up this one for less you will be far ahead.

stevesrustyone
Feb-15-2004, 5:56am
I agree with all of the above. In machine tools for the most part "older is better".

Keep on pickin'

stevesrustyone

http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/mandosmiley.gif

John Jesseph
Feb-15-2004, 7:51am
I scanned quickly through the oldwwmachines archive, didn't get any specifics. #I would still check in with them, to see if there are any "gotcha"s with these, like non-standard bearings, impossible to replace but frequently broken parts, etc.

Looks like this saw might have open wheels, watch those limbs!

crawdad
Feb-15-2004, 10:56am
Well, folks--I checked out the saw yesterday and its got potential, but it needs a lot of work. To start, new tires. The bearings seem fine. The wheels have safety covers in front, which is good. There is no switch left, so I couldn't check the motor. The wiring itself looked OK. There are a couple of things that really have me backing away though. First, there is no blade guide at all--just the 3/4" square arm it once attached to, and that arm seems to be frozen in the upper arm of the saw. I don't know where I'd find a blade guide that would work. Anybody?

The other thing is that the original table is gone. Somebody made a wooden one thats all beat up and loose. I could fabricate a new table with some squaring and careful leveling, I think. One of the side pieces has the Heston and Anderson logo plate on it, so I think the original table may have been wooden

Tires I could probably find or fabricate. If the motors bad, I could replace it. Its the whole arm/blade guide area that has me shying away. I looked around for bandsaw parts and didn;t come up with anything for this particular machine, though something else might work if I knew what to get and where to look. I'd go for it if I was confident that I could do the restoration. Last thing I need is a 200 pound paperweight!

Michael Lewis
Feb-16-2004, 2:34am
You can always buy a new one for about $600. It won't be made in the USA, but will be servicable. Jet is a good brand as well as Grizzly. It would be nice to have an American made machine though.

I bought a Delta jointer several years back, so I would have tools made in the USA. When it arrived I noticed the metal tag on it stating it was made in Brazil! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/rock.gif

Chris Baird
Feb-16-2004, 10:20am
I got a good deal on a jet 14" a while back. The saw took some work to get setup but now it works well for me. I got it for $500 but later got a rebate which made the final cost about $400 brand new /w a riser block. It seems at certain times of year every company really kicks up their competition and comes out with store discounts piled on top of manufacturer rebates etc.. Perhaps call around and ask when such a time may be.

Jim Hilburn
Feb-16-2004, 11:34am
It's one of those deals where your either working on the saw,or cutting wood. Time vs. money. And you definitely won't be done on the money end with that saw.

crawdad
Feb-16-2004, 4:58pm
It would definitely be labor intensive to get it up to snuff. Jim, you're right. Do I want to build or tinker with an antique? Michael, I was attracted to the American made idea as well as the solid cast construction of the saw, but its probably something I can do without for now. I have a good bit of journey with just getting my skills up to the fine level I want them to be. I can always get some of my wood from suppliers and delve into resawing once I have a better understanding of wood in general.

I think something better will come along when the pupil is ready! That Heston Anderson will make somebody a great bandsaw, but it should go to somebody who loves to restore old machines. It is classic and built like a tank--just needs parts--but where those are, who knows!

Jim Hilburn
Feb-16-2004, 5:04pm
I only have an old '80s Craftsman 12", but I can resaw 2-piece mandolin wood on it.You only need a 6" depth of cut.

crawdad
Feb-16-2004, 10:33pm
Thanks, Jim. Good point. I was, however, thinking about cutting some acoustic guitar tops too--that 12" would be a necessity. Like I said, there is much other stuff to learn before I get to that point, so I think my best bet is to save my pennies for down the road. The time will come when that bandsaw will be very useful.

sonnyjammer
Feb-26-2004, 10:07pm
I have been considering one of the $ 99.00 Delta bandsaws seen at Lowe's big store. Would I be severly disappointed trying to cut maple and mahogany, and even ebony on one of these cheapies ?

grant_eversoll
Feb-26-2004, 10:43pm
I have the $99.00 Delta and it works fine. You might want to buy a different blade than the one that comes with it (also at Lowes). Set it up right and take your time. It works fine for me

crawdad
Feb-27-2004, 3:35am
I have an older Delta and it gets the job done, mostly. The table is kind of small and certain cuts cannot be performed because of that. It accepts 1/8, 1/4 and 3/8ths blades--3/8ths being the biggest. The small blades have a tendency to wander a bit and not maintain a 90 degree cut, but if you set the thing up well and use the widest blade you can, it is not bad.

I am still looking for parts for this Huston and Anderson, trying to find some way to retrofit new blade guides to the machine. I haven't purchased it yet because of this, but I think there is a solution out there somewhere if I keep looking.