PDA

View Full Version : cost of a brekke bridge?

un5trung
Oct-21-2010, 5:29pm
I'm curious about the value of a used Brekke bridge in good condition.
Thanks --

man dough nollij
Oct-21-2010, 5:33pm
A new one (http://www.soundtoearth.com/products.php?prod=16) is $60. I'd probably ask $40 plus shipping for a used one. I have one, too, after having a bridgectomy done by Weber to the trad style.

Tom Wright
Oct-21-2010, 9:30pm
Why did you change to trad? And is it "traditional" Brekke or the normal one? I have the trad Brekke from Weber. Posts seem so skinny I wonder if it's too lightweight. Might be interested in yours.

un5trung
Oct-22-2010, 7:00am
I don't have a Brekke for sale. I bought a 90-year old Gibson that had a Brekke on it, and when I brought into the shop the owner crooned about how nice the Brekke sounded. But the call I got when it was done informed me it had been replaced by a more traditional (non-Brekke) bridge.

That's fine with me -- I'd asked about the bridge and tailpiece, and I have no doubt that the bridge that's on it is fine. I haven't seen it BTW, I'm picking it up today. But I got to wondering why the owner would comment on how nice the Brekke sounded if the end result was a different bridge. Did they want the Brekke for another project?

All that being said, I'm likely being paranoid. The shop is a very respectable one and the owner is someone many on the forum would recognize. If they wanted a Brekke they could find one without taking it from me. One would hope that my continued business was worth more than a damn bridge.

But paranoid is my middle name, and I get to thinking about things too much. When I couldn't find the price of a brekke online I wrote in here.

I'll get back with my very ugly mando with the wonderful voice this afternoon, and I'm sure I'll have no complaints about how they treated it.

man dough nollij
Oct-22-2010, 9:17am
One would hope that my continued business was worth more than a damn bridge.

That sounds really strange. Maybe I misunderstood, but it sounds like you took your Gibson in for some work, and they replaced the bridge without your permission or request, and they kept the old parts? Unless I'm missing something, that is not acceptable business practice. Any time I get anything worked on (truck, mandolin...), if they're taking parts off, I want to see the old ones, and at least have the chance to keep them. (I wouldn't expect to keep an old part if there was a core charge involved, but that surely doesn't apply to instrument repair.)

JEStanek
Oct-22-2010, 9:33am
I agree, they shouldn't have replaced the bridge without consulting you and you should get the Brekke bridge back. That's an expensive replacement part (Brekke) to let it get away.

Jamie

DerTiefster
Oct-22-2010, 10:01am
Especially given that it had already been fitted (one presumes) to your mandolin top. The bridge and fitting labor sum to a pretty penny.

un5trung
Oct-23-2010, 11:27am
it sounds like you took your Gibson in for some work, and they replaced the bridge without your permission or request, and they kept the old parts?

Thanks for your concern. When I brought it in I specifically asked about the bridge and the tailpiece, neither of which were the original versions. They didn't change the tailpiece but tried several bridges and left me with the one they felt worked best. Although they did not specifically ask permission to change the bridge I did open the door, I believe giving my tacit permission.

And yes, they did return the Brekke. My original email was sent between the time I received the call to pick up my instrument and the time I actually went down and got it. BTW they did a great job. As 1920 A4s go this one is as ugly as they come, but it plays and sounds like a dream!

jim_n_virginia
Oct-24-2010, 8:36am
I had a Brekke bridge once that I tried on my mandolin and while it did sound great it sounds different and I did find that it lacked the volume that a traditional bridge had so I ultimately took it off and after a while I sold it for $50.00.

So if you implied to the luthier that you wanted your vintage mandolin to sound like it used to he probably did right by swapping out the bridge.

Sounds like you got a great sounding mando there! Happy pickin! :mandosmiley: