PDA

View Full Version : thanks big joe

drewgrass
Oct-19-2010, 8:58pm
awhile back i called up big joe, for a appraisal and to help me find out the history of my derrington prototype master model fern. #001 7/9/99. it took awhile but joe really did a great job and i couldn't be happier here is the history of my mandolin according to joe. sorry i took out the value part it's not for sale.

Instrument: July 9, 1999 Gibson F5V Mandolin
Serial Number: Prototype #1

Condition: This appears to be a nearly all original F5V Master Model Mandolin manufactured by Gibson in its Nashville facility. This one was built at the Church Street shop before it opened in Opry Mills Mall. This mandolin is in good condition and plays and sounds just like it should.

The condition of this instrument coupled with its desirability to mandolin players and collectors make this a highly prized instrument in anyone’s collection.

Comments: This mandolin is the first prototype of the Gibson Master Model, considered one of the finest mandolins ever built. This particular one was owned and played by Charlie Derrington and designed by him. He is considered one of the greatest mandolin builders ever. He was in charge of the mandolin department at the time this mandolin was designed and built. This particular mandolin is certainly an important part of Gibson history and is certainly considered highly collectible.

“Big Joe” Vest, Proprietor

Big Joe’s Guitar Works

so how about that i got Charlie's Derrington. thanks alot big joe

Ivan Kelsall
Oct-20-2010, 1:18am
The 'Derrington' Gibson MM's are highly regarded & to have Charlie Derrington's personal Mandolin is an honour most of us would die for.
That Mandolin possibly has almost as much going for it in terms of 'who's it once was' as Bill Monroe's Loar - you are one lucky guy.
Possibly my dream 'off-the-shelf' Mandolin is a Gibson MM,something i'll never attain,but Charlie's MM is way above anything i could ever dream of owning. Thanks for posting the thread & the pictures - ''Big Joe rides again !'',
Ivan;)

carleshicks
Oct-20-2010, 5:49am
That is nice to have that in writing from a man that was there. I will add that bit of information to the Master Model Registry with your permission.

drewgrass
Oct-20-2010, 8:59am
go right ahead carl

drewgrass
Oct-20-2010, 9:03am

SternART
Oct-20-2010, 10:27am
I once owned another of Charlie's Master Models, a July 9th copy that as I understand it, Charlie played for a few years. Mike Stangland talked Charlie out of it, and when Mike started having hand problems & gave up mandolin playing I bought the instrument. I let it go to a Gibson collector who also owned several of the other MM prototypes, like the one above. I heard the July 9th was recently sold again to a gentleman in Australia.

Big Joe
Oct-30-2010, 4:54pm
Hey Drew... Just noticed the post. Thank you for the kind words. It is a great mandolin without question!

Buttonwood Bob
Oct-31-2010, 8:39pm
Give Joe a little slack now and then, and let him go fishing. I expressed my respect and thanks on an earlier post.

R. Kane
Oct-31-2010, 9:04pm
IMHO, saying "Thank you" privately, or in a public forum, is a very good thing to do. We all can be be reminded how our actions have positive outcomes; and having that reminder will likely beget more good actions. Please permit me to take this opportunity to thank everyone I've ever learned something from, or will in the future, intentional or not. Plenty of you here are on that list, and many more will be.
Don't let your A strings go sharp,
Richard

BBK
Nov-02-2010, 9:38am
I always enjoy reading Big Joe's responses. He know's stuff.