PDA

View Full Version : Microphones for different purposes?

CelticDude
Oct-19-2010, 8:56pm
I have a condenser mic, an MXL 603, I use for home recording, that works quite nicely for mandolin, guitar, and even the whistle. However, a friend warned me that I shouldn't use it to mic a a guitar amplifier, as that might damage the microphone. Is this true? If so, what is a good microphone for mic'ing a tube amp for an electric mandolin?

Thanks, DWP

Tim2723
Oct-19-2010, 9:25pm
I'm not a big condenser mic user, but I do believe that many of them are too fragile to stand up to that kind of service. Every time I see a guitar amp being mic'ed, it's with something like an SM-57.

Spruce
Oct-20-2010, 12:30am
You should be able to use that MXL 603 on an amp with no problem...
It's rated for maximum SPL at 137 dB...

I use condensers on amps a lot, but I usually give them more space than dynamics...
Usually 3-4' or so, compared to 3-4" with a dynamic...

CelticDude
Oct-20-2010, 5:08pm
Thanks. Someone else did recommend the SM57 as a good all-purpose microphone. And in general I try to keep the volume down, although I am trying to get some breakup.

Are there sound meters, similar to light meters, that can measure SPL, and are they outrageously expensive?

Tim2723
Oct-20-2010, 5:13pm
Here ya go. $70. Just remember that it can be used as evidence against you in a noise dispute. Don't ask how I know that.

http://accessories.musiciansfriend.com/product/American-Recorder-Technologies-Sound-Level-Meter?sku=420954

Folkmusician.com
Oct-20-2010, 6:47pm
You can't beat an SM57 for an inexpensive, nearly indestructible workhorse.

Don't ask how I know that.

Ok.. you know we have to ask... :)
Did this involve a mandolin?

Charlieshafer
Oct-20-2010, 7:33pm
Agree with Spruce. The whole idea of micing an amp is that you don't need to crank the amp up way loud. We've used a bunch of different condensers for amp cabs, and with a little space, there's no problem

Folkmusician.com
Oct-20-2010, 8:01pm
Most would agree that a tube guitar amp sounds best cranked. :)

Tim2723
Oct-20-2010, 9:11pm
Ok.. you know we have to ask... :)
Did this involve a mandolin?

Indirectly, but the interesting part is that the meter in the link is the same one the police use. Personally, I'd put the $70 bucks toward the SM-57 and forget about it. You can always find a use for a 57. Most of us end up with a couple of them floating around the kit.

Spruce
Oct-20-2010, 9:24pm
Agree with Spruce. The whole idea of micing an amp is that you don't need to crank the amp up way loud. We've used a bunch of different condensers for amp cabs, and with a little space, there's no problem

Yeah, don't sweat the whole SPL meter issue...
It's not an issue...
Folks use condensers on Marshall stacks cranked all the time....

Tim2723
Oct-20-2010, 9:40pm
Yeah, this is one of those non-question questions. If you really need to spend a couple of bucks, get a 57 and throw it in the kit for someday when you want it. If not, don't sweat it. No big deal either way. Me, I'd spend it on beer. I just gave him the link because he asked for it.

CelticDude
Oct-21-2010, 4:36pm
Thanks everyone for the responses, even if this is a non-question. Glad for the sound meter link and the advice. As is turns out, I do have a second microphone I'll have to dig out. It's supposed to be better for flute and whistle, whereas the MXL is better for "acoustic guitar and other acoustic instruments". Yet the whistle sounds better thru the MXL (the whistle is apparently an "other acoustic instrument". Who knew?) So it may be a similar design to the SM57.

Yes, the tube amp does need cranking, to get that "Celtic crunch" I'm going for, and it does get loud even at a 1/4 watt. I do have an attenuator on order which may make this all somewhat moot.

And the advice to spend the money on beer is never bad advice...