PDA

View Full Version : I've Found a Hiding Place-Bill Monroe

mbenay
Oct-17-2010, 11:14am
I heard Monroe's "I've Found a Hiding Place" on Sirius this morning, and we're trying to find out who else was in the band for that recording. So far, no luck in online searches. Does anyone know? (Also, just curious - didn't Carl Story record this too?)

mandolirius
Oct-17-2010, 3:15pm
I heard Monroe's "I've Found a Hiding Place" on Sirius this morning, and we're trying to find out who else was in the band for that recording. So far, no luck in online searches. Does anyone know? (Also, just curious - didn't Carl Story record this too?)

I Found A Hiding Place (Mar. 20, 1958) - Bill Monroe, mandolin/tenor vocal
Edd Mayfield, guitar/lead vocal
Kenny Baker, baritone vocal
Culley Holt, bass/bass vocal

Matteo
Oct-18-2010, 12:07pm
Mandolirious is right...and what a great band that was!
Just to add a couple of infos that might be of interest, I Found A Hiding Place was written by noted hymn composer Albert E. Brumley, and it was also recorded by Carl Story and the Rambling Mountaineers. It appears on their 1961 album, Everybody Will Be Happy.

Denny Gies
Oct-18-2010, 12:41pm
I think the Nashville Bluegrass Band also recorded it.

mandolirius
Oct-18-2010, 1:03pm
I'd say the most notable cover I've heard is the Johnson Mtn. Boys. I think there's even a YouTube video of them doing it.

tnranger
Oct-18-2010, 1:36pm
Since we are on the subject, just what is "temply shock", and why should I fear it?

tnranger
Oct-18-2010, 8:02pm
Any ideas?

GTison
Oct-18-2010, 8:16pm
I feel no TEMPTORS knock, I feel no TEMPTORS shock

tnranger
Oct-18-2010, 9:24pm
I went back and listened to the Johnson Mtn Boys version again. I agree the first phrase is "I hear no temptors knock". The second phrase is not "temptors knock". It sure sounds like "temply shock" to me. On both choruses.

Maybe it's time to get my hearing checked.

mandolirius
Oct-18-2010, 9:30pm
I went back and listened to the Johnson Mtn Boys version again. The second phrase is not "temptors knock". It sure sounds like "temply shock" to me. On both choruses.

Maybe it's time to get my hearing checked.

Sometimes the tempo, accents or other aspects of a recording make it tough to pick out certain words. When all else fails, I look to see what makes logical sense. Temptors, or course, makes sense. The singer is talking about a refuge he has found, where presumably he is safe from tempation, a common theme in gospel music of this ilk. On the other hand, the word "temply" means nothing to me, is not in the dictionary and is likely not correct. Even if "temptors" is wrong, at least it makes logical sense.

GTison
Oct-18-2010, 9:39pm
That's what I think. I always just thought because of the speed of the song the words got a bit jumbled. Temptor makes sense. I looked it up on the web too. The ones I saw said temply but I don't always trust the web lyrics either.

Mike Bunting
Oct-18-2010, 9:47pm
I think that they are saying "temptation", tem-tay-shon.

tnranger
Oct-18-2010, 9:55pm
Thanks for the replies. I agree that "temply" makes no sense. It sure sounds like it, though.

Maybe Dudley Connell (or David McLaughlin) can straighten me out.

MadMax
Oct-19-2010, 9:46am
I believe the words are:

"I hear no temptors knock, I feel no tempest shock."

Mike Bunting
Oct-19-2010, 1:15pm
After listening again, I heard "I hear no temptors knock, I feel no temply shock."
Temply?

Mike Bunting
Oct-19-2010, 2:14pm
This just in.

David McLaughlinOctober 19, 2010 at 1:04pm
Re: Lyric
Hey Mike.

The word is "tempest". Dudley would often get tongue-twisted on "tempest shock".

tnranger
Oct-19-2010, 2:27pm
Thanks, Mike. At least now I know it's not just me.

I've even watched the Johnson Mtn Boys video and tried to read their lips and it still comes out "temply shock".

According to my wife, I tend to hear things wrong sometimes. Sort of like the whole "Hold me closer Tony Danza" thing from Friends.

I've even googled "temply shock" and got nothing. I hoped it was some obscure religious reference.

And no, I don't have OCD.

tnranger
Oct-19-2010, 2:30pm
Outstanding, Mike. Your post came in before mine.

It's nice to have friends in high places.

Mike Bunting
Oct-19-2010, 2:46pm
Thanks, Mike. At least now I know it's not just me.
I've even watched the Johnson Mtn Boys video and tried to read their lips and it still comes out "temply shock".

That's what I heard too. That's probably what Connell sang too given his propensity to get the tongue all twangled up. Actually I tried singing it at that tempo and found that it's not so hard to mess those words up.
How far is it from Knoxville to Winchester Va., David runs the Nancy Shepherd House Inn over there, pretty nice place I hear. I bet it's worth a drive over to visit.

tnranger
Oct-19-2010, 3:20pm
I will check that out.

mbenay
Oct-20-2010, 9:32pm
Many thanks to Mandolirius and Matteo for the info on the Bill Monroe recording. It was a stunning performance and I couldn't find who the other members of the band were, or the year.

mandolirius
Oct-20-2010, 9:38pm
You're welcome. It was nice to see someone ask about one of the recordings that featured Edd Mayfield. There were far too few of them, imho. Edd died while on the road with Monroe. I think he was 32 or thereabouts. He was one of the best bluegrass rhythm guitarists and my favourite match for Monroe as a lead singer. I often wonder what more would have come out of that wonderful pairing, had it not been cut so short.