PDA

View Full Version : New Upload Feature

craig
Oct-13-2004, 11:12am
dasspunk (brian) wrote some PHP coding for us so that we can upload (http://www.mandolinproject.150m.com/billupload.php) directly to the MP page rather than mess with Yahoo! Groups. right now i'm trying it out for Bill Cheatham. this will make it easier for me to keep up with the uploads. it is very time consuming to move files from Yahoo! Groups to the MP server. that is why i'm so far behind.

so, give it a try and we'll see if this will make things easier!

thanks again dasspunk!!

craig

fiddlegit
Oct-13-2004, 1:02pm
Just tried uploading and got this message:-

STDERR:

Failed to find the "nothing" line (\n\n)! Premature end of script headers.

STDOUT:

(nothing)

Brian Ray
Oct-13-2004, 1:09pm
Hey Craig,

Your server currently has a 2MB file limit for uploads (this is set in the php.ini). You can ask them to bump it to whatever you want. FYI, the script itself will stop files over 5MB. I can change it to whatever you wish.

Also, to all, your file must have an extension and that extension must be allowed by the script (Craig has control over this). No extension, no soup for you!

If anyone has trouble uploading, please comment here and include the following:
- exact filename of the file you're uploading
- size of said file

Bluegrasstjej
Oct-13-2004, 3:15pm
It looks like it'll work, I just realized that I wasn't uploading Bill Cheatham as it said.........will it be possible to upload stuff to misc musings this way too?

craig
Oct-13-2004, 3:27pm
brian,

with the account i have, there should be no limit to the actual file size. how did you know the limit is 2MB? are you sure?

anyway, thanks again for all your work!

bluegrasstjej,
i can eventually make this service available for all uploads, but i just want to try it out right now. so, let's just see how it goes. you can continue to post your misc muses at Yahoo!. i'll try to get to this stuff on friday night.

cheers,

craig

sjusk
Oct-13-2004, 4:30pm
I got the same message as Roger/fiddlegit, when I just tried an upload now.

Good initative though, dasspunk and craig! I hope you get things working.

Søren

Brian Ray
Oct-13-2004, 6:29pm
Craig,

The size limit is a setting in PHP. If you try uploading an mp3 that's size is greater than 2MB, it should fail, display and error and I report the acutal size limit. Your server's support team can set this higher via a setting in PHP's configuration file (php.ini).

Now, folks that are getting an error message, could you please list the EXACT file name you're trying to upload and it's size. Also what OS and browser are you using (eg. Mac/Safari)? I can't fix a problem I can't reproduce...

sjusk
Oct-14-2004, 2:59am
dasspunk,

filename is mr. cheathum goes to ireland.mp3, 2281KB.
Maybe it´s too large?

OS and browser? Ehh...could it be this you´re looking for:
PC/Microsoft Internet Explorer.

Søren

Bluegrasstjej
Oct-14-2004, 4:33am
OS is Operative system. (Windows XP for you)

Craig, there's no hurry, I don't really have to upload anything now, I just wanted to try the feature and didn't have any Bill cheatham recording yet so I did this Liberty (which I'm not satisfied with either).
It looks good, very handy not having to go through the Yahoo group.

Brian Ray
Oct-14-2004, 6:34am
Sorry sjusk,

I've been a geek too long... I'm looking for your Operating System (likely Windows 98, ME, XP, etc...) and more importantly, your browser and version (likely InternetExlorer 3.x, 4.x, etc...).

The problem you're having is likely that your browser is not capable of uploading files. I think this feature was added to IE 4.0. I was able to upload a file named "mr. cheathum goes to ireland.mp3" so the problem doesn't seem to be the file name.

If you're running IE 3.x, that would be the smoking gun...

sjusk
Oct-14-2004, 7:01am
Ok dasspunk, got it,
My OS is XP Pro, and my browser is IE 6.0

I have uploaded lots of tunes via the "old" system in Yahoo groups, and always succesfully.

Søren

sjusk
Oct-14-2004, 7:15am
Oh, and:

I just tried to upload "barrowburn reel.mp3", but got the same error message.
This file was 1421KB, thought I´d try one less than 2MB.

Hmmm...

Søren

fiddlegit
Oct-14-2004, 7:51am
Tried again with similar result:-
------------------------------------------
STDERR:

STDOUT:

(nothing)
----------------------------------------------
My OS is Windows ME, Browser IE 6.0

File name - Bill Cheathum(Parlour Pickers).mp3

Brian Ray
Oct-14-2004, 9:11am
Craig,

Fiddlegit was able to upload to my site using the script. Looks like something you changed is causing a conflict. If you'll send me your edited version of the script, I'll take a peek...

evanreilly
Oct-14-2004, 12:34pm
I tried to upload 'Bill Cheatham.mp3', a 4meg file & got this msg:
STDERR:

STDOUT:

(nothing)

Using W2KPro SP4 & IE 6.0 SP1

Baron Collins-Hill
Oct-14-2004, 1:49pm
theres also a home recordings section on mandozine, i just got dawg funk uploaded there...

Brian Ray
Oct-18-2004, 9:49am
I sent Craig a new copy of the script to see if it will fix the errors folks are seeing with IE 6.0. Once he puts it up, perhaps folks that had trouble could try again...

sjusk
Oct-18-2004, 12:30pm
Hi Brian.
I did what you asked for and tried to upload, and the message below popped up again - alas!
Søren

STDERR:

STDOUT:

(nothing)

Brian Ray
Oct-18-2004, 1:04pm
Craig hasn't uploaded the new code yet... He will likely post here reporting it's availability... till then, hold tight.

carolynbeth
Oct-19-2004, 9:06pm
I just posted my version of Whiskey Before Breakfast -- only two months late ... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif using this new feature. It seems to have been successful. Only problem is, it would only let me post to the Bill Cheatham folder... so, sorry in advance for the confusion..

I did try uploading the file on the Yahoo Group site first, but got a message that there was not enough disk space for this group...I guess that must be why we're trying this new method? Hope it worked!

Carolyn

fiddlegit
Oct-20-2004, 3:22am
Carolyn, I don't seem to be able to find your file, have you seen it on the Project site?

The feature's still not working for me!

carolynbeth
Oct-20-2004, 12:57pm
I can't find it either -- must be floating out there somewhere in cyberspace... http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif I uploaded it by clicking on the hyperlink in Craig's post above, which took me to the Bill Cheatham folder. I got a message saying the upload was successful, so.....I don't know. Guess there are still a few kinks to be worked out, so I'll wait until we get the "all clear" from craig or dasspunk and then give it another try....

Carolyn

Brian Ray
Oct-20-2004, 1:38pm
http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Your song should be safe on craigs server. Craig hasn't updated the site yet... The idea here is to allow y'all to upload directly to his server and thus, save him some time. We should be able to work out all the kinks and hopefully, it will be easier for all.

sbarnes
Oct-24-2004, 4:00pm
i just tried the new upload feature and came here to report my error message....
it's the same as everyone else here has reported....
STDERR:
failed to find the 'nothing' line (/n/n)!
premature end of script headers.
STDOUT
(nothing)
so i guess it isn't new news.....
i'll go try to upload at the yahoo site

Brian Ray
Oct-24-2004, 6:57pm
Folks that were having problems with the bill cheatham upload link at the top of this post, would you please try again using this link... (http://www.mandolinproject.150m.com/upload.php)

If you still have problems, please post them here and we'll try and get all the kinks worked out.

sjusk
Oct-25-2004, 12:28am
Dasspunk, I´ve just tried an upload, and it failed.
Same message as usual.
sjusk

fiddlegit
Oct-25-2004, 4:41am
Same here!

Brian Ray
Oct-25-2004, 9:01am
sjusk, fiddlegit,

I set up another test page on my server. Could you try this one (http://dasspunk.com/test/upload.php) and see if it works for you?

Thanks for the help.

sjusk
Oct-25-2004, 9:24am
Success!!!!!
It said that the file was uploaded succesfully!
Great work, dasspunk, tipping my hat!
Now you managed to get us IE 6.0 outcasts onboard too.

Craig, you can delete the file I just uploaded now, it´s already in the BC folder on MP site.

Once again: Great work!

Søren/sjusk

Brian Ray
Oct-25-2004, 9:32am
Thanks sjusk but unfortunately, it seems to only be successful on my server and not Craigs (you just uploaded to my server).

Hmmm...

carolynbeth
Oct-25-2004, 12:09pm
dasspunk, has mine shown up yet? I tried twice, using the link at the beginning of this thread, and both times I got a message saying it was successful but haven't been able to locate it on the site...It's a short version of Whiskey Before Breakfast (I'm a few months behind...) http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Carolyn

craig
Oct-25-2004, 1:15pm
carolynbeth,

look at the WBB link on the MP site. is that yours at the bottom of the list. wasn't sure who's it was.

craig

carolynbeth
Oct-25-2004, 10:32pm
yes, that would be the one! wonder why my name didn't show up...When I uploaded, it asked for my mandolin cafe ID, which is different than my name on the MP site -- maybe that's the problem?

Anyway, thanks for tracking it down! http://www.mandolincafe.net/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/smile.gif

Carolyn

craig
Oct-26-2004, 9:00am
carolyn,

your name didn't show up because i didn't know who's it was. it doesn't happen automatically. i'll fix it now.

craig