PDA

View Full Version : Weber A style

oldpicker
Oct-16-2010, 11:33am
Need an opinion on Weber A style, maple, F holes, please. Currently picking a Eastman 805D and buying the Weber as my standby and travel mando. I'm using a L. R. Baggs Radius pickup on the Eastman into a Marshall AS50D amp.

Thanks

California Oldpicker

Jill McAuley
Oct-16-2010, 11:48am
Which model is it? Hyalite? Gallatin? Bitterroot etc?

Cheers,
Jill

oldpicker
Oct-16-2010, 5:32pm
Sorry Jill I forgor that, it's a Gallatin.

Oldpicker

Jill McAuley
Oct-16-2010, 11:29pm
I've a Gallatin, though mine's an F w/oval hole. I've heard a few of the maple A styles w/f-holes and thought they sounded great. I actually got my Gallatin as my stand by/busking/travel mandolin and it ended up becoming my main instrument! In the same price range you might check out used Collings MT's - there was one in the classifieds here a few days ago (no financial interest on my part, just seemed like it's a good deal for someone) for $1600.

Cheers,
Jill

nickster60
Oct-17-2010, 8:31am
I played one and it was a very nice mandolin. I ended up buying a Bitterfoot F style but they where pretty close. I just got a good deal on the Bitteroot. The Weber could become your main mandolin just like Jill. The all maple models seem to be the best to my ear.

oldpicker
Oct-19-2010, 12:17am
Thanks pickers for the info. I have made up my mind and an buying a Weber Bitteroot special edition (no top binding), a few hundred more than the A model. Will probably do like Jill did and make it my main instrument if it sounds good with my Baggs Radius pickup or into a mic.

Thanks
California Oldpicker

Jill McAuley
Oct-19-2010, 1:14am
Well done! Do post photos for us when you get it!

Cheers,
Jill