PDA

View Full Version : 1920's gibson A1 O-hole

johnmarkva
Oct-08-2010, 1:15pm
F1 actually.

Saw one in excellent condition and amazing rich tone.

Any idea what it should go for?

Thanks

johnmarkva
Oct-08-2010, 2:22pm
I got this half wrong. It is a 1900's A1. No serial number visable.

Probably wrong forum too. I saw this today and am using iPhone with limited access to do some research.

Thanks

mrmando
Oct-09-2010, 9:59pm
It all depends on condition. Post photos if you can.

johnmarkva
Oct-13-2010, 11:12am
Okay, I'm back on the grid and able to spend a minute explaining this. I was in a shop in SW Va and saw this mandolin. I've never played an A hole and on top of that a 100 year old one. This one is in great shape to my eye and ear. The tone is very deep and rich which I'm not used to, which I understand might be the A hole effect. There wasn't another A hole I could compare it to though. Since I haven't ever played any A hole I didn't have a clue as to how "good" this sounded other than it was really something to my ear.

I am new to playing mandolin and lean strongly toward bluegrass so I'm thinking this isn't something I need right now, but hated to pass up what could be a really sweet instrument. I don't have pictures.

Capt. E
Oct-13-2010, 1:02pm
Okay, I'm back on the grid and able to spend a minute explaining this. I was in a shop in SW Va and saw this mandolin. I've never played an A hole and on top of that a 100 year old one. This one is in great shape to my eye and ear. The tone is very deep and rich which I'm not used to, which I understand might be the A hole effect. There wasn't another A hole I could compare it to though. Since I haven't ever played any A hole I didn't have a clue as to how "good" this sounded other than it was really something to my ear.

I am new to playing mandolin and lean strongly toward bluegrass so I'm thinking this isn't something I need right now, but hated to pass up what could be a really sweet instrument. I don't have pictures.

Gibson A's are renown for their deep rich tone. Individual instruments can be very special indeed.
I hate to generalize on price, but pre-1922 Gibson A-1's in great condition can be had for $1200, often for less. You might add $150-$200 if it has the original case also in good to excellent condition. If it is all original, never refinished, has all the parts and in collector's condition the price can go much higher, but it can take an expert's eye for that. Since you can't read the serial number on the label on the one you mention, I would guess it is a player condition instrument. Does it have any repaired cracks, does it have the original pickguard, do the tuners work turn easily, does it have its original finish, etc? All of this and more can affect value. I have found nice ones sell for as little as $800.

Bill Snyder
Oct-13-2010, 2:27pm
For what it is worth it is an A-style with an OVAL hole, not an "a" hole.

mandobassman
Oct-13-2010, 3:48pm
Yes! Discussions about "A" holes is a completely different forum!!!

Rob Gerety
Oct-13-2010, 4:56pm
There are a ton of these A Style Ovals of that vintage around. They seem to hold up very well. If you search the dealers and eBay for "Gibson A mandolin" you will begin to get a feel for the market. I own a 1916 Gibson A4. I love it. But, I would not choose it for Bluegrass. I would chose an f hole instrument for Bluegrass.

johnmarkva
Oct-15-2010, 12:12pm
Oops, my bad. Where is that other forum? Just kidding.