PDA

View Full Version : Played my first "gig."

Garden Music
Oct-05-2010, 4:17pm
Last Saturday at a family reunion in Orlando I played my first gig, joining in with my uncle on ukulele and my aunt on autoharp (they both play with Jam 'N Folk in Alabama--a large gang that also includes dulcimers, fiddles, guitars, mandos, etc.). We only had a couple of practices together. My son joined us with his fretless five-string accoustic bass guitar...without benefit of practice....because he can. Our set was some fun folk tunes and some old time gospel. We strummed, and the (mercifully uncritical) family sang along. It was loads of fun. I surely do appreciate the rapid learning that takes place when playing with others. The journey continues.....

Earl Gamage
Oct-05-2010, 4:55pm
Good going. Most all audiences want to see you do well. There is nothing like live music.

Ed Goist
Oct-06-2010, 7:52am
Karen: Congratulations! Sounds like it went well - I would have loved to have been there.

Pen
Oct-06-2010, 8:47am
Good for you. Many muscians never take that step. Putting yourself out there can be a bit unnerving - but well worth it.

Well done!

Jason Kessler
Oct-06-2010, 12:28pm
For me, playing out, playing with people, is what it's ALL about. I was never a bedroom strummer, and can barely stand to practice. All of the rewards, and the bulk of the learning, come from playing with others. YMMV.

Jason Kessler
Oct-06-2010, 12:29pm
P.S.

Hey: that was post #440! I must be cosmically in tune...

Dick Hutchings
Oct-06-2010, 1:12pm
:))Your a little off now at 441. You blew it.:))

Matt DeBlass
Oct-06-2010, 1:29pm
Sounds like it was not only a good first gig, but it was one of the best types, where the audience is willing and able to sing along and participate. Here's to many more fun public performances!

Martin Stevens
Oct-06-2010, 2:46pm
Congrats! :mandosmiley:

Garden Music
Oct-06-2010, 5:54pm
Thank you everyone! One of my favorite things about the Cafe is the continuous encouragement that is shown, especially to those of us who are just beginning to explore this compelling instrument.

JEStanek
Oct-06-2010, 9:16pm
Remember that joy when you deal with frustrations. It'll see you through. Sounds like it was a fun party.

Jamie

Garden Music
Oct-07-2010, 2:26pm
Thanks for that excellent counsel, Jamie. I am finding that issues that frustrate, such as, holding down two courses with one finger or stretching to the more difficult chords, have been faced by many before me; and their wisdom is easily tapped in the annals of the forum. This is such a wonderful site! I appreciate all that you and Scott do to run the Cafe. Here's a "frustrating" note--of the musicians at the reunion, I was the only one who had ONLY ONE instrument! Two ukuleles, two autoharps, two guitars....and one lonely mandolin. (UAS, HAS, and GAS are evidently as virulent as MAS!)

Gelsenbury
Oct-07-2010, 5:33pm
You can only ever play one mandolin at a time, so don't worry. ;) Glad you enjoyed the gig. May it be the first of many!

A colleague chose to broadcast to our students that I "play" the mandolin. Now I have a gig coming up towards Christmas. Scary!

Garden Music
Oct-08-2010, 6:27pm
Gelsenbury, what age/type students do you teach? Since I see that you live in the U.K., "Greensleeves" (aka "What Child Is This?") might be a good one to learn. I'm working on that as a solo myself, trying to get some tremolo going. Anyway, I think it should be great fun for your students to see you in a different role, perhaps even inspiring a few to try something new! :)

Jon Hall
Oct-09-2010, 6:50am
I bet you're looking forward to the next reunion.

Gelsenbury
Oct-09-2010, 8:56am
Hi Karen, Greensleeves would be a good tune to play. I'm at the same stage as you with the tune - I can play it fine, just need to ornament it now. It may be a candidate for our newbie tunes thread, since it's slow and fairly easy to play.

I teach at a university, so my students are mostly young adults. Budding psychologists, many of them quite musical too. That's the bit that scares me!

Garden Music
Oct-09-2010, 10:13pm
Jon, I am indeed looking forward to the next reunion, which we are planning to have next April in Savannah (some of our ancestors came there to the Georgia colony from Austria). Music is in the works!

Gelsenbury, with a psych degree myself, I am hoping that your students will understand the value of "positive reinforcement" when you play for them! Perhaps some of the musical ones could even participate in the concert....co-opt the enemy. ;) I like the idea of "Greensleeves" for the Newbies.

Ed Goist
Oct-10-2010, 2:09pm
...snip...I like the idea of "Greensleeves" for the Newbies.

Hi Karen:
Here is a very good newbie-friendly tab for Greensleeves in A Minor (http://www.users.csbsju.edu/~eknuth/mandotab/greensle.html). Just a few simple chords and double stops.
I also have a slightly more advanced version of this tab with harmony notes added. However, I only have that version written-out in longhand. I'll work on creating a digital version of it.

Garden Music
Oct-11-2010, 4:35pm
Ed, that is a very sweet version of Greensleeves. I did find myself wishing for more chords and harmony here and there. I have been working on the one in Greg Horne's "Beginning Mandolin" book. It is in Dm and almost all single notes, but played with tremolo, and it sounds really nice, too. It is notes, not tab, but it's good practice for learning the fretboard. The Newbies might prefer the tab.

Ed Goist
Oct-11-2010, 7:30pm
Hi Karen, I like the Horne arrangement is Dm as well. However, I think the tune sounds more medieval (authentic?) in Am. Hence, of the two arrangements I think I prefer Knuth's. I'll work on getting the more advanced tab transcribed into digital form.

Gelsenbury
Oct-11-2010, 8:44pm
If we're going to discuss versions of Greensleeves here, we should probably move the conversation to the appropriate part of the newbie group. The version I've learned is also in Am, and it has lovely chords to go with it:

Am, C, G, Em, Am, E7, Am for the first part
C, G, Em, Am, E7, Am for the second part

Sends shivers down my spine every time, it's so beautiful. You can probably work out where the chord changes appear, but I'll have a go at getting a PDF done anyway. Unless we want to opt for Dm instead, after all.

Garden Music
Oct-12-2010, 9:56am
I agree with you, Gelsenbury, and I have started a Greensleeves thread in the Newbies forum. See you and Ed over there!

mee
Oct-13-2010, 5:32am
(UAS, HAS, and GAS are evidently as virulent as MAS!)

what is MAS? I think I caught it OY!

D C Blood
Oct-13-2010, 6:22am
Re: Greensleeves...I believe you'll find that most pickers (musicians) will be playing this from the Am position...

stratman62
Oct-13-2010, 7:25am
Karen, congrats on the 1st, may there be many, many more