PDA

View Full Version : The David Grisman Interview

NewsFetcher
Oct-03-2010, 8:14pm
The Mandolin Cafe has posted news:
The David Grisman Interview
http://www.mandolincafe.com/news/publish/mandolins_001265.shtml

The Mandolin Cafe's Forum members have the questions, and mandolin legend David Grisman has the answers for a special two-part interview.

---------------------------

NOTE: You may use your board membership to comment on news articles published by the Mandolin Cafe. Your comments will appear here and also will be appended to the end of the news article for public viewing. Standard board membership posting guidelines apply. The addition of images, videos, links and BB coding is turned OFF for this area so as not to compete with or interfere with the news item.

phillawrencemandolin
Oct-04-2010, 12:00am
Well done. The recordings and the photos are illuminating and delightful.

Mandolin Mick
Oct-04-2010, 2:07am
Hey Dawg!

Thanx so much for not only answering my question re: My Last Days on Earth, but including a recording of you doing it as well! Great job!

mildini mandolini
Oct-04-2010, 8:04am
Dear David

Thanks for the interview
Thanks a lot more for all the great instrument pictures
But thanks most of all for all the great music that you have put out and keep putting out
it makes my world ( and I am sure everyone else's world) a better place

Good p-luck with all your future endeavours and please keep fixing this world
Stefan

Mike Bromley
Oct-04-2010, 9:04am
Fascinating reading.

Denny Gies
Oct-04-2010, 9:25am
Thanks to both the Cafe and to David. The Dawg remains one of the all time greats.

Steve Roberts
Oct-04-2010, 9:28am
Great interview. How about pictures of the two banjos- the Vega Tuba-phone #3 especially!

Steve Roberts

Perry
Oct-04-2010, 10:31am
Absolutely fantastic...thanks Dawg and Scott!

Miked
Oct-04-2010, 3:40pm
I really enjoyed reading the interview and what a treat to include the music and pictures!

Thanks, David for introducing me to the mandolin!

Philippe Bony
Oct-04-2010, 3:50pm
Absolument délicieux! Merci.
Mille mercis aussi, monsieur Tichenor! (with Stephane's voice and (!) accent)

Andy Fielding
Oct-05-2010, 4:24am
Hi Dawg—All musicians have key musical moments in their lives. I had two of 'em: when I first heard the Beatles (1964), and the DG Quintet (1979). Other great artists have come along, but no one else (for me, at least) had that unique kind of energy. Thanks ever so much, dude.

gonzograss
Oct-06-2010, 4:56am
When in a musical quandry I ask myself the question WWDD?
Been listening to, admiring and being inspired by the DAWG since the 70s.
I play along w/ Traversata every day.
Thanks to DAWG for a lifetime well spent.

~~Joe Hannabach~~~~

James P
Oct-06-2010, 2:59pm
Absolument délicieux! Merci.
Mille mercis aussi, monsieur Tichenor! (with Stephane's voice and (!) accent)

And Stephane Grappelli's piano playing! I had no idea. What a treat.

ApolloPicks
Oct-06-2010, 4:36pm
On page two of this article, after we see some of his mandolins, Dawg says "and you thought you had MAS!!" I think that at this level of musicianship owning these mandolins is more of a right than a syndrome! Thanks for all of the great music David.

brunello97
Oct-07-2010, 7:11pm
Thanks, Ted, for getting this together. A great evening read. Dawg is a flat out cool cat. The picture of him, Jethro and Tiny is awesome.

Mick

grassrootphilosopher
Oct-08-2010, 6:57am
I think the interview speaks for itself. And it calls for a sequel.

What I like most is the love for musical instruments that despite being not "the holy grail" have pretty special qualities. I´m thinking about Rudy Cippola´s Strad-O-Lin for example. Maybe these instruments are the "howly grail".

Additionaly the music is downright awesome. I have allways admired Mr. Grisman´s aproach at recording music as something dynamic and alive that sometimes will be worth listening to even though one might hear technical/mechanical/musical flaws.

Jim Yates
Nov-04-2014, 5:39pm
The photo of Ralph on the cover of the Greenbriar Boys Ragged But Right album is where I learned my first chop chord. I copied Ralph's fingering of a Bb chord and used it up and down the fingerboard for a while as my only chop chord.

Mandolin Cafe
Oct-03-2017, 1:00pm
Noting the anniversary of this favorite interview of ours with the Dawg. We think it's about time for another one!

DavidKOS
Oct-03-2017, 3:34pm
I must admit that is a great interview!

Mandolin Cafe
Oct-03-2018, 12:55pm
Another trip around the sun for this epic two-part interview with the Dawg!

JeffD
Oct-03-2018, 1:53pm
Whatever happened to the Dawg L&H style 5. The pictures of the prototype are breath taking.

Mark Gunter
Oct-04-2018, 10:16pm
It was discontinued, it's the DGM-3. I've drooled over those pics in the interview many times. They seem pretty scarce on the used market. Here ya go: https://www.mandohangout.com/classified/10091

Seems almost a crime the way that seller clutters up that gorgeous headstock with his untrimmed ends.

Mandolin Cafe
Oct-03-2021, 7:04am
Noting the anniversary of this two-part interview.

Nbayrfr
Oct-03-2021, 2:16pm
I owned a DMG, it was the best tone of the 15 or mandolas that I’ve had the opportunity to play. It is missed